Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe in a little over a year, the Outback will really see some real competitions

.....from it's own little brother....2014 Forester.

For (probably) $2K-$3k CHEAPER,
the FORESTER comes with the newer engine, CVT, Turbo charged manual (with better mpg) and (possibly) hybrid engine.....while still remaining a jack up Impreza.....
2014 is going to be a bad year for outback (sales number wise)....

2014 Subaru Forester Spy Photos – News – Car and Driver

2014 Subaru Forester Spy Shots

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium 6mt
187 Posts
I foresee the 2014 Forester having a significant price increase from where it is now. I think that the new Forester will be within +/- $750 of the Outback.

Also, those spy shots are worthless to know what the new Forester will really look like.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
950 Posts
Still on the Impreza platform...I'll stick with an OB.

·
Registered
'13 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT
380 Posts
maybe in a little over a year, the Outback will really see some real competitions

.....from it's own little brother....2014 Forester.

For (probably) $2K-$3k CHEAPER,
the FORESTER comes with the newer engine, CVT, Turbo charged manual (with better mpg) and (possibly) hybrid engine.....while still remaining a jack up Impreza.....
2014 is going to be a bad year for outback (sales number wise)....

2014 Subaru Forester Spy Photos – News – Car and Driver

2014 Subaru Forester Spy Shots
I don't know that it'll cannibalize Outback sales much. If the new Forester is still on the Imprezza platform, to me that means it'll still come in smaller than the OB. The OB has by default become the largest Subie, since the demise of the Tribeca. Unless Subaru is in the middle of shifting the market placement of both the OB and the Forester, I don't think the Forester will cannibalize the OB much. Will some people cross-shop the OB and Forester? Of course they will. I know I did, but I chose the OB mostly because of its size.

What I do think is interesting is the comments in both articles about the possibility of a 2.0 turbo. If Subaru builds a 2.0 turbo, that could easily become the range-topping engine for the WRX, Forester, and OB, along the same lines as Hyundai/Kia (2.4 base engine, 2.0 turbo optional in the Sonata/Optima), and Ford's Escape (2.5 base engine, 1.6 and 2.0 turbos optional for the Escape). A well-executed 2.0 turbo could also eliminate the need for the 3.6, giving a bump to Subie's CAFE.

Direct injection on the current (new to the OB for '13) 2.5 could work, if Subaru left enough room in the cylinder heads for the injector. If not, then it'd end up requiring another redesign. Redesign or no, a direct-injected 2.5 would bring a welcome bump in power with no fuel economy penalty, as would a direct-injected 2.0. A quirk of a direct-injected flat-4 though would be access to the cylinder heads for spark plug changes...might be tough to do if the heads grow much to accommodate an injector and the accompanying fuel rails.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
I have heard the focus groups that have seen the 14 Forester are highly impressed even more so than the current impreza was. I was told DI across the line Imprez, Outback etc.... and the basic shape of the current Forester will remain with a little extra width and length. No mention of the XT model.

Honda is introducing there new Earth dreams Tech on the 13 Accord with DI and a new CVT. The buzz is it is really sweet and a new emphasis was put on quietness and smoothness, plus the car IMO looks better especially the coupe.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
Subaru's bread and butter exists in three incremental steps and it's evolved quite a bit in the last few years. The Impreza covers light use urbanites who need either a wagon or small sedan. The Crosstrek gives a little more utility with its higher ground clearance while preserving the footprint of the hatch.
Your next step up is the Forester which fills the popular "Cute Ute" niche. This could easily become Subaru's volume model if marketed correctly though they'd have to put a little more effort into the creature comforts department as the competition is getting away from them. Still, Subaru is probably happy with the current volume so they may not be ready to offer a Forester in the upper $30k's.
The Outback rounds it out with all the trimmings you can't get on the other two models. It has a very specific demographic that come back year after year. It's still a wagon and there's no shame in that at least in the Subaru community.

Subaru is not the only make that does this. Ford has the Escape and Edge which currently cover similar pricing spreads but attract different buyers. It's the same situation over at Nissan with the Rogue and Murano though the Murano is decidedly more upscale than the Rogue. They've got to be all things to all people.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
571 Posts
There4 hit the nail on the head. I will add the following though. If you want a bare bones, no noise reducing padding vehicle then go for a Forester. If you want an everything family road car and something very versitile go with the Outback. In terms of quality all are good, but I would say the biggest threat to the Outback in terms of MPG, strength/towing ability and size/comfort will be the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport (out next month). I almost waited on the Santa Fe Sport, but then I thought about what my father used to tell me in not buying a car the first year! The Forester is a great all around tool around vehicle and it is really basic compared to the Outback. I am actually lookiing for an older Forester to replace my ailing 1997 Nissan Altima. The Forester has always been the "use up the previous year outback parts bin" car kinda like the Element was to the CRV at Honda. I wonder why Subaru would be changing strategy for 2014? Kinda odd and could be test mule mumbo jumbo for the Outback

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
It could be that Forester is facing tough competition (CRV, Escape, CX5, etc) and that old parts bin way of life is not enough to compete.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
31 Posts
I don't see the Forester canabalizing Outback sales. I am sure it will be very nice, but so was the current one when it was released, getting plenty of accolades.

They are still different. Different platforms, different sizes, and to keep the Forester more price competitive with the small cute utes, it (IMO) is a little cheaper inside. (Seats, dash, etc). Thats not to say it is cheap, but the OB just feels more expensive, and a little more solid all around to me.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/nav/eye
366 Posts
the only thing i don't like about the DI engines is the excessive fuel dilution in the oil. they are very tough on oil. unlike the current engine family. (ej,fb)

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
The OB should be fine...it is the Forester that needs to look over its shoulder...at the Crosstrek! Crosstrek will take Forester's sales for sure given that its price structure is very very similar to Forester! ****, they share the same platform too!

In fact, Subaru is making 3 SUVs (OB, Forester, Crosstrek) that are very close in price. Weird sales logic IMO.

·
Registered
2015 Twilight Blue Legacy Premium
466 Posts
airgas1998: My dad has a Veloster that he purchased in march and just hit 10k. His car doesn't use anymore oil than his 08 elantra did. I have other friends who own sonata's and sonata turbos and they don't use anymore oil than normal.

I don't think the Forester is going to take away sales from the Outback. The interior is very, very similiar to that of my 2012 Impreza. It will be interesting to see if the Forester moves more upscale or not since the Tribeca will be going away....at some point.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5
198 Posts
The 2014 Forester should not be of concern. What should be of concern to Subaru is a VW wagon on the car show circuit. Forgot the name of it, but it had a raised body for ground clearance, and AWD with a TDI engine... Looked just like an outback.. they called it "concept" however it looked like a production ready car for 2014..

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium 6mt
187 Posts
I think the new Forester will probably have similar looks to the new generations of SUV's like the new Escape and CX7. I'm guessing Subaru's goal will be to get sales from people that are looking at those styles of SUV's.

Meanwhile, the XV will be the "sportier" version to attract new and young buyers to Subaru. The Impreza will remain Subaru's entry level bargain car and the Outback will be their flagship vehicle. The BRZ is the oddball in the lineup. My concern is that Subaru's only true sports car will be the BRZ instead of a new WRX version but time will tell on that one.

As far as DI engines, I foresee it happening on the new Forester and on the next generation Outback. If the FB25 turns out to be a great engine as I'm hoping, the non-DI's should be very long lasting if it can stand the DI and turbo's. Us 2013/14 owners may lose out on power and fuel economy compared to the DI and turbo versions but we will have the added longevity. I still have mixed feelings about DI myself.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
There4 hit the nail on the head. I will add the following though. If you want a bare bones, no noise reducing padding vehicle then go for a Forester. If you want an everything family road car and something very versitile go with the Outback. In terms of quality all are good, but I would say the biggest threat to the Outback in terms of MPG, strength/towing ability and size/comfort will be the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport (out next month). I almost waited on the Santa Fe Sport, but then I thought about what my father used to tell me in not buying a car the first year! The Forester is a great all around tool around vehicle and it is really basic compared to the Outback. I am actually lookiing for an older Forester to replace my ailing 1997 Nissan Altima. The Forester has always been the "use up the previous year outback parts bin" car kinda like the Element was to the CRV at Honda. I wonder why Subaru would be changing strategy for 2014? Kinda odd and could be test mule mumbo jumbo for the Outback
True. I do see and hear that the 14 Forester is going up the ladder. I'm sure it will have additional sound proofing better materials etc... If you look at the 10-13 OB and the new Impreza they are more upscale than the previous cars they replaced

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
Either way Subaru is going in the right direction regardless of what some Subi enthusiasts think of the newer cars. I still believe the US will see a 2.0T considering Japan has a 296HP version. Perhaps the Outback may get a 2.5T but I see the 2.0T replacing the 3.6 H6.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really need to go test drive the new Impreza.... Are they as well out together (sound proof, rattle free, interior trim...etc) as the last gen Legacy?
If they are close, I think this Forester will be a real threat to CRV, Rav4, Escape and believe it or not, I still think OB....
They are some people (thought not your traditional OB-wagon lovers) still prefer a SUV stance and since the current gen Forester is so "tinny", they went for the OB instead....
The Forester don;t have to be better or on par with the OB, all they have to is Not feel TOO cheap...which I think the current gen impreza is already there....
and plus the "offroad" guys prefer Forester over OB (in general).
and I hope this new forester still retain its superior rear view visibillity....

and yes, they Must Keep the FXT....2.0T would be great....They need this to "counter" that superior rav4 V6....

1 - 20 of 52 Posts