Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Subaru Outback 2.2L. Green
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a used 1996 Subaru Outback and I've yet to really have it looked over to see what's really going on. But I figured I'd ask the community. Maybe someone has had experience with a similar problem?

Much to my dismay, I discovered the back passenger-side footwell was completely soaked. We're in the rainy season in Portland, OR right now so this could be a huge problem.

The funny thing is, there is no water anywhere else in the vehicle. Not on the doors or seats. No where else. Just this one rectangle where the back passenger-side occupant would put his/her feet.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Check for missing floor pan plug under the car. Possible your wet foot well is caused from the bottom up and a missing rubber pan seal in the same general area.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I don't recall the sunroof drains ever impacting the rear foot well area. It might be possible if water gets in at the roof line that its finding its way down the pillar and leaking out the bottom at the foot well area. Might be worth eyeballing the roof rack on that side. If you do use any sort of sealant use Auto gasket sealer type silicone not the home store stuff!!! The home store silicone contains acidic properties that will eat your car and cause rust.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,696 Posts
Check that the drain holes in the bottom of the door next to the footwell are open. Water can go past the windows seals and through the doors.......If the drain holes plug up, the door can hold water, and let it out behind the panel, winding up on the floor.

Their is generally 2 drain holes, about 1/8" diameter, one near the front of the bottom edge of the door, the other near the rear. Just poke a wire in them......If you get water to drain, you have found your problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Check the AC drain. Also cabin filter to see if it's damp. Most of the time it's the drain clogged.
AC drain impacts front passenger foot well not the rear passenger foot well so I highly Highly doubt that is the issue here. The point about the drain holes in the bottom of the door is a good point. Doors are not water tight water will seep passed the window run down the inside of the door and run out the bottom. If the drain holes are plugged that might cause the water to end up inside vs outside.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,477 Posts
Actually, with the rear heat ducts running under the front seats to feed the rear passenger area, if the drain is clogged, that's one place the water will run to. Don't discount it as an impossibility.

·
Registered
02 Outback 2.5 5sp
543 Posts
For what it is worth, the right rear passenger area floor pan plug was the first one to rot away on my car. It finally dissapeared about a year ago. The other side is rotting, but still there. Not sure what is up with the right side.

James

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,477 Posts
Majority of rust develops on the right side, in LHD cars, because its the curb side. That's where all the minerals run when it rains, salts as people drive in snow/ice, etc.. That's why you wash the underside of the car when you wash the top.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts