Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife reports that she had a puddle on her drivers side floor mat this morning...maybe 6-8oz worth. The car is a three month old Outback Premium with NO SUNROOF. Clearly it is under warranty, but I would like to do a tiny bit of analysis/investigating before we take it in. The weird part is that it is the first time it has occurred in the three months of ownership and prior to last nights rain we had multiple several day rain events including a 48hr period of rain where 16" fell. It was parked in the same exact spot, so nothing has changed with the slope or angle it was parked at. Any ideas? Has anyone had this before on a non-sunroof outback?

·
Registered
411 Posts
With no sunroof I would suspect a clogged evaporator drain. However, usually when that over flows it's on the passenger side floor and not the driver side. Or it could possibly be a bad seal on the windshield.

You could get under the dash and see if there are any dry water markings where it was running down. Also while under there you could have someone use a hose on the car and see if you see anything leaking.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As obvious as this may seem i did not immediately consider the glue on the windshield as a possible source.....but certainly could be. I will check the evap drain as well, as we do run the air every day. I am thinking it is not the drain though, as I always see a pretty good puddle under the car when the a/c is running. I am now wondering if it is a combo of maybe a bad windshield seal/glue job and maybe some leaves got in the drain on the cowling around the wipers causing water to back up more than normal.

·
Registered
411 Posts
As obvious as this may seem i did not immediately consider the glue on the windshield as a possible source.....but certainly could be. I will check the evap drain as well, as we do run the air every day. I am thinking it is not the drain though, as I always see a pretty good puddle under the car when the a/c is running. I am now wondering if it is a combo of maybe a bad windshield seal/glue job and maybe some leaves got in the drain on the cowling around the wipers causing water to back up more than normal.
Usually spiders and little things get stuck in the drain. If you blow some air in it and it is clogged you'll see water come out after. If it was clear then nothing will happen. Maybe a grommet or something on the firewall as well. Just throwing out ideas.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep thanks, and keep any other ideas coming folks! The real irony here is that I sought out this one with no sunroof on purpose as we had many leak issues on previous vehicles. No doubt this is just an annoyance and warranty will cover id a repair is needed....still just kind of an ironic surprise.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I would suspect the obvious, like a door or window not shut all the way.

You can do what the dealer will do. Have someone sit inside while you hose down the windshield/door/window area and look for water intrusion.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
606 Posts
if its a 2018, why not just take it the dealer, ask for replacement carpet, it would not surprise me if they replace. Also they should inspect any electrical components that may have gotten wet. a car <8 months old shouldn't leak. You sound less angry than I would be.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if its a 2018, why not just take it the dealer, ask for replacement carpet, it would not surprise me if they replace. Also they should inspect any electrical components that may have gotten wet. a car <8 months old shouldn't leak. You sound less angry than I would be.
I am not happy about it, but have reached a point in my life where I am not going to get too worked up about it. It did not get on the carpet (collected in a puddle on the rubber mat), so there should not even be an issue with mold or a musty smell. It's truly just a head scratcher. The car has been through two days of torrential rain when 16" fell and did not leak at all. Yet it suddenly leaked (parked in same parking space) last night after a 2 hour heavy rainfall. I have now inspected it this afternoon and could not find any leaves or debris obviously blocking anything, or any other signs of moisture on the inside of the car. To drip where it did onto the mat, it had to drip from somwhere under the steering column area. I have to suspect it somehow got in then ran along a wire loom or something. I will experiment this weekend with the garden hose to see if we can reproduce. I'd like to be able to reproduce at least a few drips before taking it in (45 min drive each way).

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
606 Posts
I am not happy about it, but have reached a point in my life where I am not going to get too worked up about it. It did not get on the carpet (collected in a puddle on the rubber mat), so there should not even be an issue with mold or a musty smell. It's truly just a head scratcher. The car has been through two days of torrential rain when 16" fell and did not leak at all. Yet it suddenly leaked (parked in same parking space) last night after a 2 hour heavy rainfall. I have now inspected it this afternoon and could not find any leaves or debris obviously blocking anything, or any other signs of moisture on the inside of the car. To drip where it did onto the mat, it had to drip from somwhere under the steering column area. I have to suspect it somehow got in then ran along a wire loom or something. I will experiment this weekend with the garden hose to see if we can reproduce. I'd like to be able to reproduce at least a few drips before taking it in (45 min drive each way).
Drive through a car wash :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts