Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Outback Premium Autumn Green
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2022 OB about a month ago. I've noticed water spots or something similar on the windshield. I've tried Goo Gone but no luck. It was like this from the dealer and not sure what to do. It's quite dangerous starting the day this way. I have to run the defroster in the summer to get it to clear properly. I've started noticing it in heavier rains as well. Any suggestions?
Motor vehicle Hood Sky Automotive mirror Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,676 Posts
Is the fogging on the inside or the outside?

Assuming you don't have any exoshield or similar film on the outside, or tint/heat rejection film on the inside of your windshield, I would use wet melamine foam on bare glass to do an initial scrub of the windshield and then follow up with a cleaner that doesn't leave residue. Goo-Gone is probably the wrong product for a situation like this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll give that a try. The spots are on the outside, as far as any film I wouldn't know since I bought it off the truck the day of delivery and didn't get to see it before it was "prepped". I don't know if they had any protection on the windshield from the factory.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,676 Posts
If you didn't have it installed yourself then no worries - it's bare glass. Please get back to the thread to report whether the melamine foam worked or not. Keep the sponge wet and rinse very very thoroughly. It will leave white residue wherever it was not completely rinsed off. Caution do not rub shiny surfaces, rubber, plastic, paint with melamine sponge - it will dull the finish on soft surfaces like those but won't harm glass.

If the melamine foam doesn't do the complete clean you could follow up with something like this:

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
I haven’t tried chemical guys, but have had good luck with the pinnacle products - they have a water spot remover for glass that is probably very similar to the chemical guys one.

I had a spot from new on the back window that I got mostly clear, you have to look hard for it to notice now. I was surprised it did anything to that.

Most recently my car was at the dealer for just over two weeks, and whatever they sprayed nearby got on the paint and the windows… could have just been water spots from their car wash drying up I suppose… but regular cleaners didn’t remove the ones on the glass - the pinnacle got them off without much effort.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,345 Posts
FIRST, take it to the dealer. If that fails then try

1. Magic eraser. I am thinking is is not water-marks but residuals from something else and magic eraser it the candidate for removal.
  2. Try craping with a razor blade to see it is on the surface.
  3. If water marks remain a candidate then go for vinegar which will remove calcium spots at a slow rate. A cloth damped with vinegar and laid on the surface for sometime could be used to test this theory. For a smaller area test consider a cotton ball soaked with vinegar or... Over soaking with a fluid/gel should be avoided.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
50/50 vinegar and distilled water didn't help, melamine didn't help, taking to dealer tomorrow. This is what it looked liked after using both and wiping "clean" (OB Windshield 2) yesterday. Maybe I am over reacting but I have never seen a windshield look like this. For comparison I squeegeed my OB and the wife's 2007 Escape this morning. The 2 are quite different (Escape windshield, OB Windshield 3). Lastly none of the other windows are showing the same etching (OB Driver)

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT in Crystal White Pearl
511 Posts
I feel your pain. Bought my OB last Nov. and from day one there were water spots and a sort of film on outside of all the windows. I started a thread here but none of the solutions suggested worked. I tried Magic Eraser, vinegar and water, glass polish/compound, just about everything I could think of. Finally made it back to the dlr and his service dept used a medium cut polish. It got out most of the spots on the windshield, He told me what it was and it was only available from parts store that dealt w/ paint and detailing issues. Got some and tried it. Worked ok but the real kicker was when instead of a foam pad I used 0000 steel wool pads. Just finished doing all the exterior windows this past wkend and they look better than ever. The polish is called Pace Medium Cut Compound. It is in a black bottle w/ orange top.Wasn't expensive either. Just to be on the safe side, I tried it on our shower doors first and they sparkled afterwards. I wouldn't recommend using a buffer and don't scrub hard w/the steel wool, just apply pressure like you were applying wax to your car. Trust me this stuff works. Good luck.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
207 Posts
Invisible Glass Stripper.

I had applied a coating of Aquapel soon after getting the car and it was a nightmare. Water didn’t bead off, and the wipers chattered to the point that they were missing more than 50% of the windshield. Tried every single chemical and product, none of which took it (or my own water deposits) off. Finally gave this a shot and it worked miracles.

·
Registered
2022 Wilderness Outback Autum Green
112 Posts
I use Isopropyl Alcohol, 50/50 water alcohol scrub with a soft nylon pad like a kitchen sponge has. There are several videos on this technique.

Scrub windshield with alcohol / water solution then and wipe clean, then clean window with window cleaner,I use Spryaway , important use separate wiping rags to dry wind shield.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,728 Posts
@camhabib I used Rain-X and haven't had an issue.
@lurchskii IPA and water mix is the suggested removal method for Rain-X so it may work. Also - I've found that one issue while cleaning glass is the oils on skin. Wear Nitrile gloves. I use a waffle-weave towel (I fold it into quarters) and a spray bottle of Invisible Glass. Spray the cleaner on the towel, wipe the window (or a section of it), flip the towel and buff it out. I've been getting my best results doing this. I learned it from watching a detailer on YouTube. I tried his method without the gloves and was disappointed. I washed the towel (or grabbed a clean one) and tried again with the gloves, HUGE difference!

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,345 Posts
No reason to dilute vinegar or IPA for cleaning glass. Some glass processing labs use chromic-acid, which is much stronger and I have used, to clean organics from glass so a full strength vinegar on glass is not expected to be an issue.

Rubbing compound, which is course, or polishing compound, which is fine, are used for paint and I believe that is what the dealer was using. There is SemiChrome, which comes in a small tube, is a fine abrasive polish. Detailers have discussed using steel wool, fine grade, on car windows but I have not tried this on window glass.

I think follysurfer's (follysurfer) problem glass is beyond what a customer should be expected to fix. If something goes wrong then the dealer will not be responsible. Let the experts handle the problem because it does belong to them.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT in Crystal White Pearl
511 Posts
One of the products I used was called No Touch Glass Stripper. It was from Amazon and was recommended by someone here. It didn't do squat! I agree the dlr should be responsible and in my case he took care of the windshield and gave me the tools to finish the job to my level of detail satisfaction. I will swear by the use of 0000 steel wool on glass. As long as you don't scrub it like you're trying to get rid of rust it will do fine.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,676 Posts
It's usually good to use less-aggressive methods first so something like melamine foam, which is abrasive, can work but if there's something that melamine foam can't take off then there are more aggressive methods, but in that case I agree you should let the dealer do it, because if you scratch or haze your glass from DIY efforts, the dealer is not going to correct that damage.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium
64 Posts
That almost looks to me like a coating of spray wax or some similar coating. Something that was intentionally applied, but should not have been. Windshield glass is just that, glass, with no intended coating that I know of. Since you just bought the car the lowest-risk thing, by far, is to have the dealer deal with it.

Of course you could first TRY your own solutions, you will find out pretty quick on a out-of-the-way area if something works or does not.

Soap (duh)
Dilute vinegar & water (rinse this off the car well)
Baking soda, moist paper towel and elbow grease
Glass cleaner
&other suggestion above

By any chance does your dealer include detailing or extra "exterior protection" coatings as part of sale ... wonder if maybe it's something they actually do on all cars and don't realize the issue. Or, it could be residue from contaminated surface water if you live in an area where there's recently been storm-driven flooding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Invisible Glass Stripper.

I had applied a coating of Aquapel soon after getting the car and it was a nightmare. Water didn’t bead off, and the wipers chattered to the point that they were missing more than 50% of the windshield. Tried every single chemical and product, none of which took it (or my own water deposits) off. Finally gave this a shot and it worked miracles.
This was available at the local auto parts store so I gave it a try last night. It is much better this morning but I anticipate another application, maybe 2 to get it right. However, I am keeping my appointment with the dealer as @ArF193 stated this should be addressed by the dealer since it is only 6 weeks old. The water here is not hard. It was like that from the first day I just expected it to wear off. I work from home so really didn't pay much attention until recently. I'll post an update after the dealer trip.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
207 Posts
This was available at the local auto parts store so I gave it a try last night. It is much better this morning but I anticipate another application, maybe 2 to get it right. However, I am keeping my appointment with the dealer as @ArF193 stated this should be addressed by the dealer since it is only 6 weeks old. The water here is not hard. It was like that from the first day I just expected it to wear off. I work from home so really didn't pay much attention until recently. I'll post an update after the dealer trip.
I will say that it required 2 passes and a LOT of elbow grease to get the windscreen clean. I'd consider myself a fairly active individual and I had to take a break halfway through the windscreen to catch my breath. I know people are saying "it's the dealers issue, let them take care of it," but I've always found that no one cares about my belongings as much as I do, and they'll rarely do as careful or good a job as I can. Sure they might get the spots off, but they'll probably butcher the job, marring the glass or paint or leaving things generally a mess in the process.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,635 Posts
I have very hard water at my house. After I wash the car if I don't towel dry within 5 minutes, my glass looks like this. I use '0000' steel wool as well a double edge razor blade to clean the glass. It works well.

I first scrape the windshield with the razor blade then follow the same steps as this video with the steel wool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts