Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
We have a 2011 Outback with light colored cloth seats. We love the car, with the only complaint being how the cloth seats leave a visible mark with any sort of water on them. It always goes away with time but really annoying.

Wondering what other people do to control/remedy? Or are we nuts and this isnt a problem for anyone else :) ?

·
Registered
2011 2.5L Premium All Weather 6 speed Manual transmission
115 Posts
I also have a 2011 with light color fabric and noticed the same issue. clear water leaves stains that wont go away. I found a product that got rid of most of the staining: Nature's Miracle Pet Stain & Odor Remover. I liberally sprayed the affected areas and let is sit and absorb for about 5 minutes, then padded it with paper towels to get some of the liquid out. By next morning, most of the stains were gone, but I still had a tough spot left. I let it dry for a few days and tried it again. After second time, almost no stain visible. I say "almost" because there seems to be still some slight discoloration on the seat, but only visible if you are really looking for something. But otherwise much better than it was before the treatment. My spray has some sort of "fresh" scent - it's very light and aired out almost as soon as it dried. They also make a completely unscented version.

I am surprised there isn't a class action against Subaru to either get this resolved or somehow compensate owners - seems like a very wacky problem to have.

Let me know if this helps. BTW, you can buy this cleaner in different stores such as pet supplies and Natural food stores. I think Amazon has it too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
borislanger - thanks so much. yes, this definitely helps. and glad to know someone else has noticed. My wife and I agree, amazing car but how did they miss this? And good point about a class action. I will try the natures miracle -- we know it well from years of owning a dog and have a big jug of it on hand :) Do you think some sort of protection, like a scotchguard would help, or maybe even make it worse?

·
Registered
2011 2.5L Premium All Weather 6 speed Manual transmission
115 Posts
I seem to remember that dealers stopped offering Scotchguard treatments due to health concerns. I see it's still being sold, but I dont think I want to take a risk:
What Are the Dangers of Scotchgard? | eHow

We are just careful not to put anything even with clear water on the seats.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any luck with the treatment? I am so fed up with these seats. Now I'm just trying to get it to a halfway descent appearance then I'll buy a seat cover it something.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I just cleaned up our 2010 light cloth seats. Same approach for micro fiber couch.

Rubbing alcohol soaked rag blot the cloth getting it soaked and removing dirt via the rag. The rubbing alcohol will evaporate leaving no water ring on the cloth. Same deal for our micro fiber couch

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks a lot i also own the 2014 OB with the light tan cloth interior, talk about headache i was getting ready to buy a steamer or have it detailed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know its not water stains but I just removed a hot chocolate stain from a Subaru Outback with light colored tan interior and used a 50/50 mixture of water and Tide Cold Wash in a squirt bottle. Sprayed the microfiber with the cleaner, lightly rubbed it into the stain, let it sit, and wiped it then with a clean, damp microfiber. Repeated the process again and bam, stain gone! Was really surprised with how well the Tide cold wash worked! I got this tip from a detail guy on YouTube haha!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts