Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 OB 2.5i
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since getting by Outback, I've been worried that I will drown my key fob (since it's keyless etc) and I spend a lot of time outdoors and near water.

I've got a leather-style cover, but want to make it waterproof as much as possible.
It's currently in ziplock baggie I keep it in at the moment but I'm worried the zip is liable to pop open.

I came across this article where someone coated it in a clear plastidip.
CleverDonkey.com » How I Fixed My Overly-Sensitive Car Remote With Plasti-Dip

Does this look like a good idea, or is it still something to worry about potentially wrecking an expensive bit of tech.

My old car remote was pretty waterproof (it was an ABS cover that sandwiched the electronics in a silicone membrane. It got wet/dunked multiple times and never affected it. I also carried a spare remote in the car, so if it did die I had a backup.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
You will need to replace the battery sooner or later, so take that into consideration.

·
Registered
17 OB 2.5i
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You will need to replace the battery sooner or later, so take that into consideration.
Yeah the discussion after the article also mentioned that...

It worked great, although after a year and a half the coating was starting to fray around the edges. The good news is that plasti-dip isn’t adhesive, meaning that all I had to do was slice around the edges and it peeled off the remote easily. I then re-dipped it and it’s still working great. This second time I dipped it 10 times (waiting 30 minutes between coats) and it provided even better protection. For the first couple of weeks it’s tough to mash the buttons, but after that the coating becomes more pliable and easy to use.

·
Registered
2016 OB Premium with Eyesight
534 Posts
If you are going to be near water, a ziplock (or drybag) is something to keep in the door panel for convenience. I would not be an issue if you are walking to the car while it's raining, just don't go rafting with it in your pocket.

·
Registered
STi>Forester>Crosstrek>Outback
14 Posts
You could use silicone and first seal the buttons to the top of case, let cure then click it back together and run a bead of silicone around the seam. You would cut and peel the silicone each time you replaced the battery but it easy to remove and replace.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts