Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 99 subaru legacy outback 2.5 thats been using coolant. i checked the head gasket with that kit with the solution that didnt show no signs of gases at all or whatever it it. it stayed blue. if i read it right do you have to take off the cover where teh timeing belt is to see if the waterpump is? i see a little leakage down below the radiator on the passenger side but its not that much unless it leaks more when the car is running. thank you

kevin

·
Registered
18,144 Posts
. . .i see a little leakage down below the radiator on the passenger side but its not that much unless it leaks more when the car is running.
It could well leak at a higher rate when the car is running because the cooling system is (should be) under pressure.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so i should replace the readiator you think? it does go down when sitting still but goes down quicker when driving.

kevin

·
Registered
129 Posts
i used the same kit and it showed nothing. Got a frustrated after doing a lot of test and just decided to do the HG anyways,

Whne i had it apart, it was the HG that was the problem.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,423 Posts
Sounds like you have a leak in your radiator or in your upper radiator hose. I would put some towels at the bottom of the radiator and wrap one around the hose close to where the upper hose comes into the radiator. Drive it for a while and see if they soak up any coolant.

Have you tried letting the car idle, while hot, and check for leaks?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes i have let it idle. i can see coolant right below the radiator on like the frame but its not alot. its not noticable leaking when running and sitting still and hood openbut when i go out and about come back let it sit it will dribble on the frame and ground just a little. the coolant goes in my return resevoir but never returns back in the raidator. why is that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts