Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Gray Limited with Moonroof, Nav, and Eyesight
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waxy build up on plastic cladding has been an ugly issue for me. The wheel arch moldings in particular have built up a whitish residue. Today I tried Mothers back to black which claims to remove grime and even waxy build up. It looks good so far, I hope this is a permanent solution! Thought I would throw this out there for others with this problem, and maybe find out if there are other solutions.

·
Registered
2015 Twilight Blue Legacy Premium
466 Posts
It will not. I used this on my friend's mom's cr-v and it does work for a period of time, but once it wear off you will see it again. At work(I'm a detailer) we use an all purporse cleaner to easily remove wax. Unfortunately, that's the problem with all of the cladding on the car.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What type of all purpose cleaner? 4o9 or ammonia or something? I have tried a few things but I do not want to damage or dry out the plastic!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Go get yourself some simple green and dilute it real good with water. That's what I use when detailing cars at the house and it works like a charm. Try little spots first, because if you don't dilute it enough, it could fade it.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R. BBP w/ SAP
192 Posts
Yep. And APC and some elbow grease. AFTER...you get all that off, you should shelve the Carnauba wax and move to a sealant like Klasse, 4* UPP, Poorboys EX-P etc. It will not stain black trim. You can use it on the trim over a WATER BASED trim treatment like Poorboys Natural Look.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Cover the cladding with painters tape the next time you wax.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some good ideas here. I always wash by hand, and the Blue Coral soap I'm using has beads of wax in it too. Might have to change everything....

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight & Nav.
565 Posts
Mother's Back to Black works great for restoring grayed plastic back to being black, but it wont last long. Once you've used the Back to Black do yourself a favor and get some 303 Aerospace protectant. I started using this stuff since day one of owning my '12 OB and the plastic looks as good as it did when it was new. I had the rear bumper repaired and the repair guy had to remove all the wax from the rear bumper and protectant from the black cladding on the rear wheel arch molding and within a day it was already gray. A quick reapply of the 303 protectant and it looked as good as new again. All I do is spray a rag with the 303, and give all the cladding a quick wipe down maybe once a week and the cladding looks great. Other products will work for a short time but wear off really fast. I think the 303 molecularly bonds to the plastic or something.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
303 aerospace protectant looks interesting. Can it be applied over the back to black?

·
Registered
466 Posts
It could be, but for best use I'd just wash the back to black off or just let any rain take it off then apply it for best results. The back to black won't last long once it rains.

·
Registered
565 Posts
i've used 303 over back to black with no ill-effects.

basically use back to black if it's already turned grey, then 303 to preserve it. if it's already black, just use 303 routinely. even the guy who repaired my bumper never heard of the stuff, but was amazed once he saw how well it worked.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My friend told me about the 303 aerospace protectant when I bought my 2011. I never heard of the stuff either, but it's definitely a great product.

·
Registered
565 Posts
FWIW, I also use the 303 on anything plastic and rubber on the car, regardless of if it's black or not; dash, interior, hood protector, etc. It apparently molecularly bonds and is a UV protectant, and i use it pretty sparingly. It's not cheap stuff, and like i mentioned previously, i just spray a microfiber towel with maybe 6-8 sprays and it's enough to wipe down most of the stuff on the car. A little goes a long way.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R. BBP w/ SAP
192 Posts
It is also fantastic for convertible tops/jeep tops. Thats what I used in the past when I detailed cars.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where might one find this 303 protectant locally? Is it carried by any chain stores? Can find it online easily, but shipping gets out of hand. This might be worth it though. Packaging seems different on some pictures, and they have some wipes too. Want to be sure I get the real stuff and not some knock-off.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Where might one find this 303 protectant locally? Is it carried by any chain stores? Can find it online easily, but shipping gets out of hand. This might be worth it though. Packaging seems different on some pictures, and they have some wipes too. Want to be sure I get the real stuff and not some knock-off.
It seems like marine supply stores are the most consistent places that carry it. Here in Southern California / San Diego it can be found at West Marine, which is a chain store for boating and marine supplies. It does seem pricey, but actually works, and doesn't leave a gummy, sticky, shiny finish like armor all does, and it lasts. Basically, it keeps the black cladding and vinyl looking the way it did when it was new. I've never tried the wipes, but I am snare they work just as good, but may get more for your $$$ from the spray bottle.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Another tip I thought of...I open the doors to prevent wax from getting on the plastic rocker panel cladding.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts