Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2005 Outback 2.5 limited low RPMs after timing belt change

Hi there,
my first post here. On forum for a month now.
I got two Outbacks - 1996 and 2005.
So tonight I got '05 from my mechanic, it has almost 105k and I've had a timing belt changed along with a pulleys, tensioner and a water pump.
I bought this kit Subaru Timing Belt Kit for YOUR Subaru Legacy Outback | eBay
and original water pump from Subaru dealer. He also changed the oil.
So when I got there he told me everything is fine but he also asked me if I noticed that RPMs are really low. They were ok I'd say but when I started the car they just hit 1000 and then went down to 300-400 and I could feel it was shaking. After that check engine light came on with the cruise light flashing. The car stalled, he checked the code and it was PO506.
I drove it home (live really close) and on the red lights I had to put the neutral and keep it going on around 800-1000 RPMs.
I have read already some threads about that problem but since my car was perfect ride two days ago and now is not so I guess something was done wrong during TB job. What is it?
Thanks for any input, Ralph

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
he left a vac hose disconnected. there is a vac leak. check for hose not attached to the air filter box.

on the late 90s cars i would suspect the large hose going to the iac, on the passenger side of the intake. but look around. something is undone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for response.
Is this something I can see with hood open? I'm not a mechanic. I will have him check it later today or tomorrow. No more CEL and no cruise light but the problem still exists.
What else can cause this? Like I said the car was perfect couple days ago.
Maybe stupid question but is it safe to drive?

Thanks again, Ralph

A little update here.
So I went there yesterday, he checked the hoses but he also said he has removed everything at the front not the hoses. He left them untouched (at least most of them).
He said he doesn't know why they're so low so everything should be fine. He told me: just go for a ride on the highway and your car relearn how to drive.
I can't believe he could perform TB job wrong but is there anything with installing a belt or tensioner or anything there he could do wrong and cause that problem?
I'll appreciate any info.

Ralph

Oh, and CEL with cruisse light is back on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
in_the_mud
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing