Subaru Outback Forums banner

Waze not allowing keyboard input even when parked

410 Views 11 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  mic911
I have a 2021 Outback Limited XT and Waze never lets me use the keyboard to search a destination when connected through Android Auto. It says that the vehicle needs to be in park (and it IS in park). I always have to disconnect by phone from the car and search for my destination and start the route, then connect the phone again.
The phone is a Samsung S20, and is up-to-date. The car head unit firmware is up-to-date as well with the Oct 2022 update done via USB.

Also, not a big deal, but has anyone noticed that Amazon Music does not let you play podcasts when connected to Android Auto?

Thanks!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2022 Outback Limited XT
13 Posts
I had that problem with Waze as well, and it turned out that it wanted the parking brake engaged, but didn't actually care whether the car was in "park" or not.

· Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5 w Eyesight
290 Posts
My $0.02...Waze has gotten quite crappy in the past 6 months. I really think Google doesn't want to merge it with Google Maps so they are killing it slowly instead

I used to use it religiously but I often use Google Maps now. Seems to have better features, and also since they share the radar trap info between them now the main reason I used waze is no longer exclusive to that app.

· Registered
2021 Subaru Outback Limited XT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My $0.02...Waze has gotten quite crappy in the past 6 months. I really think Google doesn't want to merge it with Google Maps so they are killing it slowly instead

I used to use it religiously but I often use Google Maps now. Seems to have better features, and also since they share the radar trap info between them now the main reason I used waze is no longer exclusive to that app.
Hmm, good point - I think I will give Google Maps a test drive :)

· Registered
2022 Outback Limited XT
13 Posts
Thanks, I will have to try that, what a fussy app!
I get that they don't want us messing with things while we're driving, but it's a real pain when the intent is for my passenger to be entering the location.

· Registered
458 Posts
I had that problem with Waze as well, and it turned out that it wanted the parking brake engaged, but didn't actually care whether the car was in "park" or not.
Interesting, I just thought it was a CarPlay issue. I find these apps (and Subaru) refusing to consider that a passenger (navigator) may be trying to operate the app to be a royal PITA.

Reactions: mic911

· Registered
2021 Onyx XT
413 Posts
Interesting, I just thought it was a CarPlay issue. I find these apps (and Subaru) refusing to consider that a passenger (navigator) may be trying to operate the app to be a royal PITA.
It would have been simpler, i.e., cheaper, for the software to not have to determine if the vehicle was moving, in Park, etc.

It is a result of the litigious society in which we live, not an arbitrary decision by Subaru or the app developer, since there is no way to restrict to just the passenger.

· Registered
2022 Outback Limited XT
13 Posts
Honestly, I don't think it's Waze itself. It's not smart enough to really talk to the car. In my case, I think it's AndroidAuto that does it, so it could very well be CarPlay for you.

Going back to this from the OP:

"Also, not a big deal, but has anyone noticed that Amazon Music does not let you play podcasts when connected to Android Auto? "

So far I haven't found any apps that I can't play through the car. For some of them, I had to fire up YouTube (and play a few seconds of a video) first to get the audio connection working, and then everything else works fine. You may want to give that a try.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far I haven't found any apps that I can't play through the car. For some of them, I had to fire up YouTube (and play a few seconds of a video) first to get the audio connection working, and then everything else works fine. You may want to give that a try.
My apps seem to be working as well, but for Amazon Music, there is a "Podcasts" button when used on my phone, but not (that I can find) when using Android Auto.
:cry:

· Registered
50 Posts
When using using CarPlay and the Waze app on IOS, a passenger can grab the phone and change the destination. No need to unplug anything. It does have an "are you the passenger?" pop-up, but once you say yes, it lets you do all the things.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When using using CarPlay and the Waze app on IOS, a passenger can grab the phone and change the destination. No need to unplug anything. It does have an "are you the passenger?" pop-up, but once you say yes, it lets you do all the things.
That's cool. On Android, while trying to use Waze on the phone itself while Android Auto is in use, the phone just tells you to use it on the car screen, it doesn't let you do anything unless we unplug the phone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts