Subaru Outback Forums banner

101 - 120 of 681 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,332 Posts
I have trophies? Are these like Kohl's Cash? I collect 100 trophies and I'm elevated to being a Wing Commander 2nd Level?

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,827 Posts
Since we're now just around the 24-hour mark with our new format and things are going along rather smoothly, I wanted to step aside just a moment and thank our forum administrators / moderators for their roles in easing us over the hump.

Normally, their tasks are routine and mostly invisible . They organize. They move, re-title, and merge threads. If one of us steps over the line a little or a lot, they get to be the bad guy who administers the consequences of that bad judgment (this one is a thankless but necessary task, and it certainly keeps things a lot nicer here - just try some forums that don't have moderators actively engaged, and you'll know what I mean).

Then something like this new forum look pops up, and while they didn't ask for it to happen, they are thrust into the front line of defense having to deal with all of the issues that arise - whether they be good, bad, or indifferent, fair or not, difficult or easy to deal with, etc. - and it pretty much goes on nonstop for a few days, until it - well - stops. Then it's back again to their mostly-invisible role.

So on behalf of everyone here I want to express thanks to @Brucey , @eagleeye , @Kevin, @AWDFTW, @administrator!

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,169 Posts
Okay, so red dot means notifications.

1 Lucky Texan's original question related to a blue dot. Any idea what that's for?

I haven't seen either in my Account Avatar (upper right, next to the "three dots"), even though all the related "Preferences" are checked off and I've been quoted several times since the changeover.

If the color distinguishes between different forms of notification (e.g., quote, mention), which is which? Also, is there a way of going directly to the related notification ("alert") list, rather than having to go to our Account Home page, and then to Alerts etc?
From what I have seen the color of the dot depends on what theme you are viewing the forum in. In Dark Mode it looks red and in Light Mode it looks blue. Whether blue or red it seems to indicate new alerts.

Being somewhat color-blind I usually avoid making distinctions about color so feel free to correct me if I got this wrong.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Much easier to search on the new format. Lots of white space on the page. Perhaps just a bit too much.
Be careful what you wish for.....they can always fill that white space with ads.

·
Registered
16,801 Posts
From what I have seen the color of the dot depends on what theme you are viewing the forum in. In Dark Mode it looks red and in Light Mode it looks blue. Whether blue or red it seems to indicate new alerts.

Being somewhat color-blind I usually avoid making distinctions about color so feel free to correct me if I got this wrong.
I'm in Dark Mode, and when I logged in a short time ago noticed a red dot at 1:00 in the avatar. Went to Account Details/Alerts, and there was a bunch of entries, the vast majority being members who registered a "like" to one of my post, and a couple of "someone quoted you in . . . .".

I guess I can live with the red dot (or blue). But I do have two comments (@administrator ):

First, I'd much rather have a more direct way of getting to the Alert list. (EDIT: found it -- in the drop down list under the Avatar.)

Second, why "Alerts" for "likes"? Yes, I appreciate others liking what I wrote (I presume that's what it means), but seeing the "like" icon and names of those members below a post is sufficient, at least for me. An "alert" should be something that would more likely need attention, such as a "quote", "mention" or a Private Message.

Moreover, all the "likes" in the Alert page seem to be duplicated in the "Reactions" page (with a bit more detail). If Alerts are meant to get our attention, having to sift through a mixed list to distinguish between them might be counterproductive. Reflecting, the previous system separated them, so that we could, e.g., open Quotes, Mentions, and private messages in separate tabs. A lot of comments from others relate to better navigation, and making things simpler; unless I'm misunderstanding how this is supposed to work, I don't think this new alert system is going in that direction.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts

·
Registered
16,801 Posts
@Danver -- thanks for the clips on white and dark screen.

@administrator -- For the list of things to consider, I suggest an option in our Accounts ( if not a complete change to the site), to be able to select "date & time" for Thread entries, rather than "a moment ago", "20 minutes ago", etc. The information is already there -- have to hover over the "a moment ago" etc -- but, again, in the interest of making navigation easier, being able to see date and time without needing to hover first would, at least in my case, be simpler.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
@Danver -- thanks for the clips on white and dark screen.

@administrator -- For the list of things to consider, I suggest an option in our Accounts ( if not a complete change to the site), to be able to select "date & time" for Thread entries, rather than "a moment ago", "20 minutes ago", etc. The information is already there -- have to hover over the "a moment ago" etc -- but, again, in the interest of making navigation easier, being able to see date and time without needing to hover first would, at least in my case, be simpler.
I'm not sure why but I also find the "a moment ago" more annoying than it should be. I've become so used to typical forum standard of showing the date/time and the name of the last one to post that anything different seems out of place.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Second, why "Alerts" for "likes"? Yes, I appreciate others liking what I wrote (I presume that's what it means), but seeing the "like" icon and names of those members below a post is sufficient, at least for me. An "alert" should be something that would more likely need attention, such as a "quote", "mention" or a Private Message.
I'm pretty sure you can go into account preferences and decide what you want to get Alerts for. I think by default all of the boxes are checked and you can adjust it from there.

Click on your avatar pic at the top right, click Account Settings, and then Preferences from the list on the left. Scroll down a little from there and there is a list of things you can get alerts for.

·
Registered
16,801 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can go into account preferences and decide what you want to get Alerts for. I think by default all of the boxes are checked and you can adjust it from there.

Click on your avatar pic at the top right, click Account Settings, and then Preferences from the list on the left. Scroll down a little from there and there is a list of things you can get alerts for.
I cleared all the "React" items. They still show in the Alerts and Reactions lists, but perhaps the selection only works on new events. Will see what happens. Thanks.

Is there a way to increase the default posts per page?

I had mine set really high before but more o can't even figure out how to change it.
Asked about that yesterday. Used to have it set at 40 (max). Haven't found anything in the new site, but perhaps it will be added in time.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I cleared all the "React" items. They still show in the Alerts and Reactions lists, but perhaps the selection only works on new events. Will see what happens. Thanks.
The ones that are already in the list probably stay there but like you say should apply for new event.
Also, make sure you clicked the "Save" button at the bottom after unchecking the boxes. I made a change earlier but forgot to do that so it didn't change.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,127 Posts
I just tried uploading a zip file of a romraider log with the upload being denied as zips aren't supported?

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,304 Posts
I just tried uploading a zip file of a romraider log with the upload being denied as zips aren't supported?
Did you try mangling the file extension to something like .zip.txt or .zi_ ?

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,304 Posts
Don't know if this will be modifiable or not, or what the prior site behavior was. It seems if I click on an inline add, a new Chrome window opens. If however, I click on one of the ads on the right-hand-side, I'm taken away from the site. Maybe it was like this before, maybe it was wasn't, maybe it's advertisement specific. I would think all ads should result in it opening in a new window. That would be more user-centric.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
197 Posts
My 2 cents on the new look forum - I don't like it.
I didn't read many of the prior posts so not sure of the consensus.
Most of the new "features" mean very little to me. The whole thing wreaks budget.

·
Premium Member
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
511 Posts
stfsubaru

On SF.org using the the old vB software it is the default behavior on Chrome

101 - 120 of 681 Posts