Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week we had a hurricane down here on the Gulf. Starting on Friday, the head unit started popping up this dialog box for a hurricane/tropical storm warning. I thought, "hey, that's kinda cool and useful..."

Well, the hurricane has come and gone, and the warning continues to pop up. Every. Two. Minutes. I don't know what's generating it, so I can't figure how to turn it off. And neither could my dealership (they also didn't know how to make the Android Auto work, either).

So, if you know how to disable this alert, it would be greatly appreciated if you shared that tidbit of information.

Thanks...

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,174 Posts
That is some Tech I can live the rest of my life without. the dumbing of society

-solution=HAMMER

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited w/ EyeSight
15 Posts
I need to figure out a solution to this too. When they thought Harvey might be re-entering the Gulf and hitting us here in NOLA, they issued a Tropical Storm alert. Once it was cancelled, the silly alert on the touchscreen in my 2018 Outback still continued to pop up for 2-3 days, every few minutes. The same thing is happening now, even though our Hurricane Warning for Nate has been cancelled for a couple of days, every few minutes.
I hope that, like last time, it will resolve itself in the next day or so... but it's incredibly annoying and I would love to just disable it all together. Also, local dealership has no idea.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I called Subaru customer service today and asked about the the head unit, the radio that likes to stay on, etc. The rep indicated they had no records of complaints for that issue. More people really need to call!

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited w/ EyeSight
15 Posts
I do wonder if the pesky weather alerts are actually coming from XM, since their Travel Link thing provides weather updates (and stock prices, which I TOTALLY need while I'm driving).
TBH I'm not even sure where to start - SOA or XM. I would imagine that neither one has a good solution yet.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
203 Posts
I called Subaru customer service today and asked about the the head unit, the radio that likes to stay on, etc. The rep indicated they had no records of complaints for that issue. More people really need to call!
I think you're right on that, calling Subaru directly. I'll do it before the end of the week. It's just and easy as posting another rant here which does virtually nothing. And complaining to the dealer doesn't seem to work for most things.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
Last week we had a hurricane down here on the Gulf. Starting on Friday, the head unit started popping up this dialog box for a hurricane/tropical storm warning. I thought, "hey, that's kinda cool and useful..."

Well, the hurricane has come and gone, and the warning continues to pop up. Every. Two. Minutes. I don't know what's generating it, so I can't figure how to turn it off. And neither could my dealership (they also didn't know how to make the Android Auto work, either).

So, if you know how to disable this alert, it would be greatly appreciated if you shared that tidbit of information.

Thanks...
I suspect it's a confluence of three stupidities:

1. Stupid legal mandate to force emergency warnings on people even if they don't want it (Comcast has this on cable: I can't even watch something on the DVR without it being interrupted by a test on a channel that's on in the background)
2. Sirius repeatedly broadcasting the warning long after it makes no sense (may or may not be true)
3. Lazy software engineers that don't record that you've already seen and acknowledged the warning, and every time they see it in the signal, they force it on you. It may be somewhat acceptable once after each time you start the car, but every few minutes???

I've been through all the settings in my 2018 head unit, nothing exists to change this.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just in case you're wondering, the weather alerts stopped on Wednesday which was three days after the storm...

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring
21 Posts
So has anyone found a solution to this other than wait it out for a few days? On other cars I found setting to disable weather alerts, but not on my new Outback.

I'm guessing the actual weather alert info comes from SiriusXM. Hopefully I'll stop seeing them once the free trial runs out.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
At 10pm on the 8th, I'm still Hurricane Dorian alerts in coastal VA even though the storm departed this area on the afternoon of the 6th. After a long search on the Interwebs, I conclude that neither SXM not Subaru has any interest in fixing this. I was on the phone with SXM twice today for a total of nearly three hours, and I talked to five different people. I even had them cancel and immediately restart my TravelLink subscription, which they claimed wouldstop the alerts. It did not. On Monday I'm going to my Subaru dealer to express my frustration at having no way to turn off these alerts. This is UNACCEPTABLE!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am still getting the tropical alerts every 5 minutes on my Crosstrek from Hurricane Dorian which is long gone. The alerts have been popping up for 5 days now!! Will go to Subaru today.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R touring
12 Posts
outback '18 48K miles - 2nd radio headhunt is beginning to fail - several quirks - freezing up - horrible ear piercing screeching feedback at times from one speaker. lose volume radio won't return after hanging up a call. backlights on knobs are flickering and one now gone out. Dealer unable to install update or do a hard reset so Subaru America is going to replace under warranty. At least this time they are not attempting multiple fixes. 1st one completely died and would not fire up before replaced it. That was early on and replacing had 5 week backlog - now telling me 2-3 weeks for new unit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts