Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Onyx XT
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The upgraded floormats for my CRV were horrible so I went with Weathertechs. The Subaru ones seem similar to Weathertech and about the same price. Which do y'all recommend?

Also, I assume the Rear Seatback Protector works best with the Subaru cargo liner? Same with the Cargo Sidewall Protector?

·
Registered
20 Posts
The weathertechs I got cover more space plus they form more of a "bottom shell" to contain any dirt/water,etc
The rear seat protector and sidewall protector all work well together and give it a more unifying look. I see no need to get the weathertech cargo liner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Subaru all-weather mats don't provide nearly enough coverage. In the past I've always used Weathertechs, but my last set in my '17 Outback were very stiff and they stained easily. For my '20 Outback I tried Smartliners. They look good, fit well, are easy to clean and have held up well. Bonus is that they are also very affordable.

·
Premium Member
2022 Wilderness
326 Posts
The Subaru all weather floor mats are ok for summer use. If I lived in Florida or Southern California, and drove on asphalt all the time, I probably wouldn't have an issue with them. If you plan on going off-roading at all, or if you live in a place where snow or mud will be a part of your daily life for any part of the year, I would consider upgrading your mats.

There are options, and I go into some of my experiences in this post, but I'll summarize some of my experiences with mats below:
WeatherTech "Floorliners" - Arguably the most well known aftermarket mat maker, however they have two major flaws: 1) Over time they tend to curl and warp out of shape and 2) they lack spikes on the bottom, which can cause issues in seating positions like the passenger front seat that has no mat anchor. They will slide around.
Husky X-Act Contour - Softer and more pliable than the WeatherTechs. The softness mitigates the curling issue, but because they are softer, they may not fit the foot well as nicely. In extreme heat or cold, they may warp out of shape due to their softness, and will require some attention to get their shape back. They do, however, have spikes on the bottom to keep them in their spot.
TuxMats - They seem to be very popular on this forum, but from my experience, they simply do not last. I am a former professional detailer and I hate these mats. The middle layer is a foam layer. While this makes the mat feel plush and luxurious, should the foam ever get saturated with water, they become impossible to dry and properly clean. This is especially true in the winter when salty water gets into them. You will find the mats get hard and really nasty if the salt water gets into the foam layer. I'm not sure if they have improved their water barrier at all, but I find these mats harder to clean than the aforementioned mats.
Findway/Other clones - See the post I linked above. I thoroughly love these mats and they cost about 30% less than the WeatherTech's and Husky equivalents. Coverage is better than the WeatherTech's and the moulded curled edges should prevent the warping issues that WeatherTech has.

Again, these are my experiences. Your mileage may vary.

Edit: Clarified WeatherTech mats

·
Premium Member
2021 MGM Onyx XT
160 Posts
The upgraded floormats for my CRV were horrible so I went with Weathertechs. The Subaru ones seem similar to Weathertech and about the same price. Which do y'all recommend?

Also, I assume the Rear Seatback Protector works best with the Subaru cargo liner? Same with the Cargo Sidewall Protector?
You don't say what year your Outback is. Be aware that they don't always have the mats in stock for the 20+ Outbacks. I'm one who likes the Tuxmats over Weathertech. See below for how they look. Much better coverage IMO.

I think the Outback rear seat protector works great with the Subaru cargo mat and sidewall protectors. Attaching another photo that shows how they look.
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Automotive design Trunk Automotive lighting Car

·
Registered
290 Posts
I just happened to check out the weathertech website after reading this, had a lil time to kill...

Weathertech sells an "all weather floor mat" which is very similar to the "all weather floor mats" that Subaru makes. If this is what you are comparing, they look very similar but the weathertech version looks to be cheaper in price. Both look to provide the same amount of coverage and look to be constructed the same.

If you are comparing Weathertech's "FloorLiner" with Subaru's "all weather floor mat", this is like comparing apples to oranges. 2 totally different design & prices. Most will go with the FloorLiner in this comparison as it provides more coverage and protection.

I personally am content with the Subaru rubber floor mats as I am not outdoors, off-road, or in wet weather enough to need the extra coverage. I also have the trunk and seat back mats which have worked great for me. Had this same setup in my old Impreza.

·
Registered
22 Limited XT
66 Posts
The Subaru all weather floor mats are ok for summer use. If I lived in Florida or Southern California, and drove on asphalt all the time, I probably wouldn't have an issue with them. If you plan on going off-roading at all, or if you live in a place where snow or mud will be a part of your daily life for any part of the year, I would consider upgrading your mats.

There are options, and I go into some of my experiences in this post, but I'll summarize some of my experiences with mats below:
WeatherTech - Arguably the most well known aftermarket mat maker, however they have two major flaws: 1) Over time they tend to curl and warp out of shape and 2) they lack spikes on the bottom, which can cause issues in seating positions like the passenger front seat that has no mat anchor. They will slide around.
Husky X-Act Contour - Softer and more pliable than the WeatherTechs. The softness mitigates the curling issue, but because they are softer, they may not fit the foot well as nicely. In extreme heat or cold, they may warp out of shape due to their softness, and will require some attention to get their shape back. They do, however, have spikes on the bottom to keep them in their spot.
TuxMats - They seem to be very popular on this forum, but from my experience, they simply do not last. I am a former professional detailer and I hate these mats. The middle layer is a foam layer. While this makes the mat feel plush and luxurious, should the foam ever get saturated with water, they become impossible to dry and properly clean. This is especially true in the winter when salty water gets into them. You will find the mats get hard and really nasty if the salt water gets into the foam layer. I'm not sure if they have improved their water barrier at all, but I find these mats harder to clean than the aforementioned mats.
Findway/Other clones - See the post I linked above. I thoroughly love these mats and they cost about 30% less than the WeatherTech's and Husky equivalents. Coverage is better than the WeatherTech's and the moulded curled edges should prevent the warping issues that WeatherTech has.

Are you discussing the older style of Tuxmats? The new ones just released a couple months ago, and seem to have improved durability, especially against water.

·
Registered
2021 XT Limited
93 Posts

WeatherTech "Floorliners" - Arguably the most well known aftermarket mat maker, however they have two major flaws: 1) Over time they tend to curl and warp out of shape and 2) they lack spikes on the bottom, which can cause issues in seating positions like the passenger front seat that has no mat anchor. They will slide around.

Edit: Clarified WeatherTech mats
Any experience with these ones? - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084RQNY8B/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_8?smid=A3OZL321RZX1KU&psc=1
They look similar to the findway mats mentioned in your other post
I have Subaru OEM mats but I think that I need to change them for better coverage.

·
Registered
54 Posts
WeatherTech's but let me warn you that during the winter the melted snow freezes and makes them slick. Also if you are in an area that uses salt the liners turn grayish but is like that until you wash them.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium 2.5
108 Posts
We bought WeatherTechs for the front only...the Subarus are fine for the second row IMO, so we figured we'd save the money. We very rarely have anyone back there anyway.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Touring RIP 20 Limited XT
1,282 Posts
I liked my husky liners way better than my weathertech liners. They had much deeper channels to trap the water and gunk which prevented sloshing. They also fit better. If you're in the Boston area (or if you're in NH this weekend), you can buy mine ;)

·
Registered
2022 Touring XT, formerly 2005 LL Bean
238 Posts
@TheHozOpp1 My timing, as usual, is less than perfect. My intentions were good - ordered my car without mats, because I already knew I didn't want the Subaru mats. Pulled the trigger two weeks ago on WeatherTech without knowing about the warpage issue. If I'd have seen your post and link to earlier post, I'd have bought Findway. (Tuxmat fans, I didn't want the wall-to-wall coverage, clips, and all that).

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT in Crystal White Pearl
642 Posts
A vote here for the Husky X act contours Went w. front only since very few ride in rear and they don't slide they way the front passenger did.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT in Autumn Green Metallic
24 Posts
I have the Subaru mats and don’t think they’re good at all. They’re flimsy and don’t provide enough coverage, especially for the front. I’ve had weathertech floor liners in all of my other cars and plan to get them for this car, too.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts