Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight & Nav.
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few threads out there on these, but nothing has been posted recently, so I was wondering what people/s experiences have been with either product now that some time has passed? Which do you prefer, the WeatherTech window deflectors are the OEM deflectors from Subaru? Please state why you prefer one over the other, pros & cons of each in your opinion, etc. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
Stupid question on my end...are these things mainly for smokers?? If I am not a smoker, then why do I need them? I have some credit with Subaru and always wondered about buying these things.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
Stupid question on my end...are these things mainly for smokers?? If I am not a smoker, then why do I need them? I have some credit with Subaru and always wondered about buying these things.
I live where it is hot........Especially when you park in the sun. We also get thunderstorms. I have these on all my cars so that I can leave my windows down a couple of inches when I leave the car, without getting a wet seat. No, we do not smoke. I have the weathertechs......I bought those because I like the snap into the window frame type, rather than glue ons. YMMV.

·
Registered
2013 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
617 Posts
You can leave your windows cracked open a little to keep the car cooler and if it rains, you're still OK.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not a smoker, but as the other two previous posters have mentioned, they are great for still letting fresh air in when it's raining, or leaving your windows cracked on a hot day, and not having to worry about people seeing that your windows are partially open if you're parked in a lot, etc. Great for driving in the rain and have your windows cracked. No drips, etc. coming into the car and onto the rlrectric door locks, window buttons, etc.

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
My parents have had them on both their 4Runners and their Highlander- they are awesome when it's raining and you need the heat on to defrost the windows, you can crack the windows without getting soaked. They don't smoke and neither do we.

I haven't decided which ones to get for our OB yet so I'm in for opinions.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
****, i think i already made my decision. at $155 for the OEM guards and $99 for the WeatherTech, it's a no brainer for me. I've had the WeatherTech floor mats since buying the car and they have ben awesome.

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
Ahhh, very cool guys! Makes a lot of sense! Are the OEM's glued on??

Does it create more windnoise??

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
with these things on can you crack the windows without worrying about fuckers jamming something in to pick your locks?

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
Ahhh, very cool guys! Makes a lot of sense! Are the OEM's glued on??

Does it create more windnoise??
The OEM ones do not use 3M tape, they install inside the window channel like the Weathertech ones.

I never noticed any additional wind noise on any vehicles I've been in with them.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,033 Posts
Thai, the OEM ones glue (tape) to the window frame with some clips in the channel also I think.

bradze, if you're careful how far you open the window it could be difficult to get something in to push the door lock button, especially something stiff enough to actually press the button. There's also nothing stopping them from finding a way to break them and avoid the obstacle altogether, they are made of Lexan.

For those considering ANY item like these that may cause any interference in the window channel; if you think you want tint, get it BEFORE installing these. The tint installer will remove them because it will peel fresh tint from the extra pressure/friction. On my last car I had Weathertech visors on then decided to get tint a year later, the installer broke the flange on 2 of them and CLAIMED they were broken before. Of course he broke one front and one rear so I had to buy a whole new set.

·
Registered
2012 3.6R OB Limited - Moonroof - Ice Silver
296 Posts
Not that I've heard. I'm pretty sure they go into the window channel as I mentioned in my last post. They also have chrome trim.

I installed these on my OB and they do not insert into the window channel. They attach with 3M tape and a few clips. They do not interfere with window operation at all. The OEM are great because they are very low profile and the chrome strip blends with the trim around the window. Mine did not increase wind noise and allowed me to leave windows open slightly when parked to vent the car.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i Limited
84 Posts
I like the looks of the Subaru ones pictured here. Attaching with tape doesn't sound very secure though. Do they stay on? And, are they difficult to install correctly?

·
Registered
98 Posts
The OEMs clip on AND use tape. We put them on about a year ago, still very secure and no additional wind noise. We got them so we could crack the windows open and the dog could still breathe while we XC ski.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
I like the looks of the Subaru ones pictured here. Attaching with tape doesn't sound very secure though. Do they stay on? And, are they difficult to install correctly?
I have had double tape ones on my 4runner for over 10 years. They are still securely attached. The plastic is starting to show some checking, but they will not fall off.

I just like the more subtle look of the in-the-track type. Half of one, six dozen of the other.........Personal taste.

·
Registered
2012 OB
40 Posts
Not that I've heard. I'm pretty sure they go into the window channel as I mentioned in my last post. They also have chrome trim.

The OEM wind deflectors have both clips and tape. I installed them a couple of months ago...took about 30 minutes total.

Comparing the Weathertech vs Subaru...the Subaru look much nicer in my opinion. Worth the extra few bucks.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Limited (CVT) Azurite Pearl Blue
100 Posts
I have had the weathertechs about as long as I've had my car. Here is a post with my pictures.

I like the sleek look and easy install of the weathertechs, plus they were less expensive. I didn't notice any change in wind noise at the time, and they are holding up just fine. It was sunny at lunch yesterday and I left the windows slightly cracked, just before we got our food a down pour broke out. I had to rush out to close my moonroof (vented it) but was able to leave the windows cracked.

I haven't used the Subaru ones, and have only seen them in pictures. So I don't have much to say about them. But the weathertechs have been perfect for my needs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts