Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried installation of weathertech window visors. Apparently the replaced the 3m tape with some clip that's sits on the door trim to hold the visor in place. This has caused the automatic window sensor to trip and the window will not go up, only to retract. In the process of installation both front visors broke (pics attached). Contacted them and I'm waiting for an email. they said to send them pics of the broken pieces and they will send replacements. unfortunately I do not think the replacements will for either.

Still waiting on email...

If any one has any experience with weathertech shades on a 2018 OB limited please let me know if and how you got them installed. I wasn't spending $259.00 for window visors for authentic Subaru parts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don’t have a 2018, but on my 2017, I did break one of the rear visors. Called weather tech. They said to recycle the one that I had and a new one was on the way.
Also, if the window won’t go up, they are not installed properly. Had mine on for @18 months with no issue. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don’t have a 2018, but on my 2017, I did break one of the rear visors. Called weather tech. They said to recycle the one that I had and a new one was on the way.
Also, if the window won’t go up, they are not installed properly. Had mine on for @18 months with no issue. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did yours have a clip or was it the adhesive tape?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did yours have a clip or was it the adhesive tape?

When the clip is under pressure it interferes with the window operation.the clip moves Al the way in the the window channel with the rubber weather strip.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*UPDATE the replacement visors WeatherTech sent were the wrong ones the sent the rear door only.. SMH.. Sent an email and tweeted them (Twitter usually results in faster actions). My suggestion would be to skip WeatherTech for 2018 OB all together.

The search continues! If any one has an affordable alternative to subaru 259.00 visors please. Lmk..

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,070 Posts
I wonder if the 2018 issues are a result of the acoustic glass (or at least thicker) they implemented to reduce wind noise.

I had similar breakage on a previous vehicle. There was a sticker on the flange that I forgot to remove, when the window went up the first time, it cracked the flange. This was on a front window, never had an issue despite the broken flange and it was entirely hidden in the channel. I had tint on that vehicle so the window was SLIGHTLY thicker but the real issue was the sticker I forgot to peel.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder if the 2018 issues are a result of the acoustic glass (or at least thicker) they implemented to reduce wind noise.

I had similar breakage on a previous vehicle. There was a sticker on the flange that I forgot to remove, when the window went up the first time, it cracked the flange. This was on a front window, never had an issue despite the broken flange and it was entirely hidden in the channel. I had tint on that vehicle so the window was SLIGHTLY thicker but the real issue was the sticker I forgot to peel.
Yeah I've nerver seen this clip thing at the bottom on the sill looks so cheap..one of my employees brother is a mechanic for subie. He said he can get them in and able to work with some modifications. That was the plan for the replacements WT was supposed to send.. now I've have completely given up on that company which is said, for years they had great products, and I never had an issue. I think the problem is the 90 degree angle on the window by the RVM. I've never had a car with the secondary piece of glass in the 70's with tilt in vent (in forget the name of the vent).

At this point I'm telling them I want full refund due to send the wrong parts. There going to request me to send back all the pieces the shipped and I'm telling them to stuff it!

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Put them on my '18 Outback. They are snug. Instructions say there is a possibility that when using the auto up function, the window will stop due to the anti pinch technology. So, you just roll the window down, hold the down button for a few seconds and the inch the window up slowly a bit at a time till it is fully closed. You can tell when to stop the upward travel when the motor starts to struggle. I always leave the window fully closed when the car is parked so eventually it will get used to the rain guard being in the window channel. I might eventually try some silicone spray in the window channels to make it a bit slippery.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Put them on my '18 Outback. They are snug. Instructions say there is a possibility that when using the auto up function, the window will stop due to the anti pinch technology. So, you just roll the window down, hold the down button for a few seconds and the inch the window up slowly a bit at a time till it is fully closed. You can tell when to stop the upward travel when the motor starts to struggle. I always leave the window fully closed when the car is parked so eventually it will get used to the rain guard being in the window channel. I might eventually try some silicone spray in the window channels to make it a bit slippery.

After a couple of weeks, the window will close completely on auto up with no problem. Just had to get the window used to the guard being in the channel. I love mine. 2nd car I have installed them on. Love the fact that they look custom and not a taped on accessory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts