Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That particular image was from IE, yes. However, It looks identical to that with Chrome or Edge. Those are the only other browsers I have available. I used IE for that shot because I had not used it at all before, and wanted to see if it was happening to me regardless of browser.

So far today I haven't been taken to posts that I have already read. And that is on two different computers.

·
Brucey is a Tool of the Devil !
25,282 Posts
If you jump to the permalink of a particular post you will not get the header, it will be like you have scrolled down to it.
(and all you will see is the google plus and facebook like buttons visilbe,.. unlike on yours mine on chrome keeps the page # buttons though).

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
But that link isn't available on the post listings, is it? I'm just using the first unread post link. It's the chevron icon at the front of the thread name. See attached image. That's what is taking me to the post but cutting the first line of the post off, along with the header.

Attachments

·
Brucey is a Tool of the Devil !
25,282 Posts
But that link isn't available on the post listings, is it? I'm just using the first unread post link. It's the chevron icon at the front of the thread name. See attached image. That's what is taking me to the post but cutting the first line of the post off, along with the header.
when I click the chevron link on the active topics list it jumps to the last post,

when I just click the words in the thread title I get the top of the thread including the regular header. (which is what I do,...I never click the chevrons,...too small to bother with vs. the whole long thread title).

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I understand your choice. I like the functionality that takes me to the first unread message, and use it on every forum I visit. I'm just surprised at the way it positions that first message on the screen. I've not seen this behavior on any other forum, and I frequent quite a number of them.

And that still doesn't explain why on occasion it will show a thread as unread when in fact I have read every post in that thread, often even on the same computer and the same browser. Puzzling...

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Here's two screen shots that show what's missing when I use the First Unread link. The upper part of the image shows how it originally appears when the page opens. The lower portion is what you see when I click the up button on my keyboard twice, to bring the top of the post into view. You can see that two whole lines of the post are hidden, along with the post info line (post number and date/time). With posts that are only a single line of text, nothing is visible without scrolling up. Just very curious...

Attachments

·
Administrator
953 Posts
Thanks for sending the screenshots @atc98092. I've been trying to recreate all of the issues that you've reported and have not been fully successful, although I have noted a few things. When I access the site in Chrome, I can click on the chevron icon and it takes me to the top of the last read post (with nothing cut off). When I click the title of the thread, it takes me to the very first post (not the last unread). When I go back to the main forum page, the chevron still shows up even after reading the post(s), however it does disappear if I refresh the page.

When I access the site using Firefox, I get slightly different behaviour. When I click on the chevron, it takes me to the latest posts, but the page jumps a couple of times as the ads on the page are loading. The second 'jump' results in the view that you see (top 2 lines of the post missing), however, once the ads have all loaded, it returns to a regular/full view of the most recent post. Just makes me wonder whether the view you are seeing is ad related. Did you mention if you are using an ad-blocker or not?

I should also note that in Firefox, the chevron/bold title does not disappear on its own, rather only after refreshing the page (like in Chrome).

You're right. It's definitely a bit puzzling and worth taking a closer look at. I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing the same issues or if it's an isolated situation. Anyone else want to chime in?

Cheers,

Erik

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
On my personal computer, I have an ad blocker (Stands) on Chrome but not Edge, and the same behavior happens on both. On my work computer there's no blocker on Chrome or IE. They don't let us have that much control of the computer! :)

·
Administrator
953 Posts
Hey Atc,

I went through some of your previous responses and when Nate asked you to clear your cache and cookies, you did not confirm if you had done so. Can you clear them and then test it again to ensure we're running on fresh items?

- JB

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hi JB. No, I didn't clear cache at that time, although I have done a partial clearing on one of the computers. If the problem was solely on a specific computer using only one brand of browser, I could see the potential to fix it that way. But I had the same problem on multiple computers, even the very first time I opened the forum on that computer, regardless of browser. Every computer displays the posts identically. The computer I'm on right now had never been on this forum until yesterday, and the very first post I opened did the same thing. So this is four different computers, two different OSs (Windows 7, Windows 10) and three different browsers (IE 11, Chrome and Edge). It's just baffling.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hey gang, I think I've hit on it. I changed my settings from 40 posts per page back to forum default, and the problem is almost gone. I now have two different views when I load the first unread: either the very first line of the post, or the title above the post is visible. And I figured out what made the difference. If there is text in the title, it is visible. If it is a replay that no one added a title (such as when you use the quick reply), then it drops to show just the post. But now I see the entire post.

So there's the problem. When the number of posts is changed from Forum Default, something is triggered incorrectly.

EDIT: Nope, it came back again. Man, I thought I had it, but it's back to doing the same thing. :frown2:

·
Registered
16,418 Posts
Here's two screen shots that show what's missing when I use the First Unread link. The upper part of the image shows how it originally appears when the page opens. The lower portion is what you see when I click the up button on my keyboard twice, to bring the top of the post into view. You can see that two whole lines of the post are hidden, along with the post info line (post number and date/time). With posts that are only a single line of text, nothing is visible without scrolling up. Just very curious...
@administrator

I use the chevron (next unread post) and have found that same symptom to be quite annoying. But it happens only in the "Full" display; with the "Classic" display, the last post is displayed properly, with the date/time band at the top.

I think the problem started with the newer "Full" display, or if not then, when the "Reply" band was added. It appears as if the top of the desired post is hidden by that "Reply" "tweet" "like" band. That band is the same width as the posts, and even could appear to be part of the post if not for the fact that the post can be scrolled while that band remains in place. I'm wondering if that band were removed, all would be well.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I use the chevron (next unread post) and have found that same symptom to be quite annoying. I found that it seems to happen only in the "Full" display; with the "Classic" display, the last post is displayed properly, with the date/time band at the top when the .

I think the problem appeared with the newer "Full" display. It appears as if the top of the desired post is hidden by that "Reply" "tweet" "like" band. That band is the same width as the posts, and even could appear to be part of the post if not for the fact that the post can be scrolled while that band remains in place. I'm wondering if that band were removed, all would be well.
I'm not sure what setting you are referring to. I can't find any "display" settings in the user control panel under Options. I do see a Message Editor Interface. Is this what you're referring to? Or is it the forum "skin"? I did change the skin to classic, and I'll see if that made a difference.

Glad it isn't just me with this issue! :smile2:

·
Registered
16,418 Posts
Yes, the classic "skin".

On any page the "skin" can be changed from the drop down menu at the very bottom. However, this does not affect all future log-ins; it applies only to the current session. To set this as your default, it's UserCP/Edit Options/scroll down to Miscellaneous Options/select the skin/and then "Save Changes".

The "Full" views have some operational advantages, so I've gone back and forth. The "Classic" view also doesn't have a "Dark" option, which I like to use. Trade-offs.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well, not so fixed. I'm still encountering the forum showing me unread postings that I had read on the same computer, with the same browser, sometimes within the last 60 minutes. Sometimes it tells me there's an unread post, and I'm the one that created the post!

I've participated on well over a dozen different forums, running various forum software. I have never, never, encountered the issues that I have here. I can't say if any of them were using vBadvanced, but some have certainly looked quite similar. Looks like PassatWorld does as well.

If there's anything I can do to help, let me know. As I've mentioned, this occurs across OSs and browsers. I've used Windows 7 and 10, and used Edge, IE and Chrome. Same results with all of them. Doesn't matter if I'm on the same computer or change PCs between visits.

EDIT: I want to state that it's sporadic. Sometimes it works just fine, other times it shows dozens of messages I've already marked read. And if I click the "first unread" icon it will sometimes take me to the first unread, but sometimes it might start at something that was posted (and read by me) the previous day. Just no set pattern to be found. :(

·
Administrator
953 Posts
Hey there,

Not quite sure how to track this issue as you said, it is sporadic.
Maybe it's related to the system backing up?
Does this happen on weekends only? or weekdays?
Any clues that we can look into?

Ed

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Unfortunately, there's no pattern. Now this morning when I reviewed new posts, it all seemed to work correctly, and I marked the entire sub-forum as read. Just now I went back into the forum (2 hours later) and again everything was fine. Of course, this was on the same computer with the same browser, but I've had the same issue under these conditions before.

I usually check the forum 3-4 times a day (a little OCD, I know...) and usually at least once I'll have issues. Once I'm home this afternoon I will again be on a different computer, so I'll see if I can nail some specifics down. I will say that it has shown an unread message in a thread that I was the last poster, and it would show older threads (that I had already read) as unread, so that alone is one flag. Next time it happens I'll note the time of day and precisely what occurred.

·
Administrator
953 Posts
Thanks for the information,
Very handy for us to refer to.
Let us know when you're on the different computer and keep us posted.
If there's an issue with your other computer, we'll look into it

Cheers,

Ed

21 - 40 of 90 Posts