Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi -
I'm new to this forum and write because the transmission/front differential on our 2001 Subaru Outback (145K miles) is nearly toast, and we are weighing whether to replace it to keep the car. And I wondered if you all had any perspective to lend.

We're not fired up to buy a new or used car with a loan, so we're tempted to do the repair (with a new transmission, not a used one)

Our mechanic, who does't do this type of transmission work, took a hard look at our car and its records to see if replacing the trans was worth it, and this is what he found:

CONS:
• power steering fluid is seeping
• front suspension has some play and ball joints and bushings showing wear
• An exhaust fix (of last year) might not hold

PROS
• The car has new brakes
• timing belt has been replaced
• couple new axles
• new catalytic converter

Anyway, that's our situation. Any outback fans/enthusiasts want to weigh in? All educated perspectives appreciated.
Thanks,
Janet

·
Registered
11 Posts
From my perspective, you will thank yourself later on down the road if you keep the car and just pay for replacement parts or repairs. Upfront, the costs seem high and not worth the "investment," but by keeping your current vehicle you would be savings thousands over the years. I bought mine fully knowing that at some point, I would end up spending more in repairs than the true market value of the car. However, I save each month by not having a car payment which enables me to build a car repair fund for emergencies.

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
138 Posts
Any reason you would get a new one rather than used? Is the price of each remotely close? It seems that transmissions and other drive line parts hold up fairly well on these cars. I wouldn't hesitate to save some cash getting a used one. The other thing to consider is the HG's. If they have been done, that's a pro, if not, it could be a con.

I would also compare the cost of repair to the price of a used car with similar mileage. I went through this when the HG's blew on my '98. The cost of repairs (including other issues the car had) was within $500 of a similar model with fewer miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts