Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Outback 2.5 & 2005 Outback XT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '98 Outback with a 5-speed and the clutch is doing something weird. When it was summer, I would start driving and the clutch would feel fine, but then once the car warmed up (about 15 minutes of driving), the clutch pedal would only come back about halfway. It didn't affect the clutch releasing, it just wouldn't come back all of the way.

Now that it has gotten cool, it doesn't really do it anymore. I checked the hydraulic lines for any leaks and I don't see any, nor has the fluid level dropped any, and I also have bled the system. When it was doing the pedal thing, I checked the clutch fork and it was loose, so I am trying to figure out what would be causing this, and the only thing I can really figure is maybe an issue with the throw-out bearing? The clutch only has 42,000 miles on it, so I don't think it's the clutch. Any other ideas? I think it's a little weird it only does it when hot. Anyone else had this issue? If so, what was the cause?

Thanks!

·
Registered
98 Legacy Outback/2.5L/5MT/173k and counting...
19 Posts
My clutch has always been a little querky in my OB but what i would suggest is replacing the slave cylinder and line . The seals could be toast in it. Its cheap and easy to do. Also the hydraulic lines could be degrading as mine was, was turning my fluid black. And if that doesnt help the next thing would be the clutch master cylinder a little more expensive but still pretty easy to do. I had a problem with my clutch where the pedal wouldnt come all the way up and i would have to pump it to regain pressure. I ended up replacing the master, line, and 2 slave cylinders(1st one was garbage) but since has been good for atleast a year and counting

1 - 2 of 2 Posts