Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2008 Subaru Outback that has been having slight engine problems. You can smell the radiator from the car when at highway speeds (60-80 mph), the radiator fluid reivoir is also full, but no fluid is actually getting to the radiator. A puddle forms under the car in the area where the line connects to the radiator but it does not have a green color to it. It looks like there may a nut that needs to be retightened which might be the fix, but I want to make sure that it shouldn't be anything worse. Could it be the head gasket that leads to the engine?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,481 Posts
could be a leaking crimp on the radiator, or, maybe the rad cap has gone bad???? I also do not trust the little overflow line to seal well on the nipple at the rad's neck so, I use 2 small zipties and clamp the line in place.

anytime these cars have even a HINT of cooling problems, you MUST check inside the radiator itself to confirm proper level of coolant.

have a subaru-friendly machanic take a look or, if you want to try DIY, you can get a kit at some parts stores to pressurize the system so you can look for a leak without being scalded. The parts store will 'rent' the device to you but when you return it you will be refunded so it's a loan actually.

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
484 Posts
The water pump has a weep hole that will drop when the pump bearing is going bad. Check that area.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts