Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Touring
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little over a week ago, the Eyesight in my 2017 OB Touring was on the fritz. I went on a road trip and it worked just fine. There was rain towards the end and it was doing the usual on/off based on how heavy the rain was coming down and whether ES could properly "see" via the cameras.

The next day (completely clear) I was just driving my normal routes commuting and noticed that the ES was cutting off randomly for a few minutes and then back on very frequently. At first it was not too bothersome as I'd seen similar during the rain, but this behavior continued for days.

It became extremely annoying as this persisted for days, literally an ES off/on every 2-3 minutes. I did research on this forum, read the manual, etc. I checked the obvious things like was there something on the windshield blocking the cameras, cleaning the windshield, etc. Nothing seemed to work.

I did not have time to take it to the dealer, but called them to let them know I'd come by one day.

Then I started to really look closely at the ES cameras from outside the car in bright sun when I could see them well. I noticed something weird on the passenger side camera - looked like a little black ring had fallen across the camera. Upon closer inspection, it was a small and thin foam ring that must be part of the camera assembly - looks like it fits around the camera opening, but had somehow come apart and was sitting there blocking the camera partially.

I was able to carefully push the foam back around the camera assembly without touching the camera and it seems to be working normally now.

I still plan to take it to the dealer in case this could recur and maybe that foam needs to be reattached to something or replaced.

Has anyone else seen problems with the camera like this? Thanks.

·
Registered
'17 Outback 3.6R Limited, '05 Forester
121 Posts
Not a problem with the camera itself but experienced similar symptoms.

A couple of weeks ago, we drove through a swarm of bugs at night. After that, the headlights automatically kept switching from high to dipped beam and back. I used the washers and wipers and that seemed to clear up (pun intended). The next day, I had ES problems like you described. Bugs smear right in front of the cameras was the problem. It took a lot of effort to thoroughly clean the windscreen and problem went away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts