Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed last night that there is a parking light switch mounted on the stearing collumn, just behind the wheel. I had no idea it was there and honestly I'm not sure how I tripped it. I came back to my car and the parking lights were on and I couldn't figure out how to turn them off! I was about ready to chalk it up to some bizzarro, Saab-worthy electrical quirk when I had the *brilliant* idea of reading the owner's manual and found reference to the switch.

What possible purpose does this switch serve?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Well Subaru's turn the lights OFF automatically when you remove the key, so the only way to leave the parking lights on is to flip that switch... It's meant to be if you are parked in a dark/dangerous spot you leave the park lights on til you return to the vehicle.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
I believe the switch is there for European's that have to have the lights on if the car is on the side of the road, even if disabled. So when the key is out, the lights can still be on for safety. Brian

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so w/ the switch at the first depression (the traditonal "PARKING LIGHT POSITION" typically found on most cars), the parking lights are off? (w/ apologies for the fact that I could test this when I get home . . .)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
woops, I see that's already been answered. Thanks! I guess all told, now that I know the switch is there, I would rather have an extra step to turn on the parking lights than risk having my battery go dead after they were left on accidently.

R.

·
Registered
195 Posts
rgombine said:
---8<---risk having my battery go dead after they were left on accidently.
Which is one of the reasons I replaced the bulbs with LEDs. I'd probably have done so eventually but finding out about the Parking Lights toggle made me get that done sooner than later. For my '04 OBS this means just the red brake/taillight and front amber parking lights were replaced, not the amber turn signals.

Luckily these aren't on the turn signal circuit at all (I don't think so anyhow) or else there might have been trouble with the flasher.

Someone had said theirs was left on all day (8 hours?) by mistake and almost drained the battery but not entirely, IIRC. I figure the LEDs could go much longer than a day, or plenty enough time to not worry.

·
Registered
82 Posts
... the common "trouble with flasher" issue when putting LEDs into a cars that weren't designed for them is usually just a matter of too little resistance in the circuit.

That is, turn signal circuits are usually designed to blink fast when there's a lamp out ('cept for GM, who puts the signal steadily ON... still haven't figured out the logic behind that decision), and that's done by detecting the resistance in the circuit. Too little resistance and they go into fast-blink mode.

An easy way to fix this is to measure the resistance of your old bulbs when you take them out of the car and write it down somewhere. If you have fast-blink when you install the new LED's, just find a resistor, solder it in-line to the circuit, and your problems should be resolved.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Glad you wrote that all out, etzel, so I didn't have to.

Many places that sell the LEDs sell those in-line load resistors, or equalizers. Just that I don't want to splice anything into 'new car' wiring. Maybe someday...

cptoversteer... I got them from two different places, two different times.

The little 168 wedge "inverted" ambers (and rather dim) from
http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZwardenQ5fjp2002QQsorecordsperpageZ50QQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1

And the 7443 wedge "matrix" (has sideways pointing LEDs as well as the face-on) reds from-- well, now I forget where exactly. I remember it was a tossup between two places with a price difference af a few bucks, and I like to save every penny I can. Might have been:
http://autolumination.com/7443_7440.htm
the 15 LED red, midway down the web page.

Or even more likely (depends on added shipping cost)
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR
the 7443-15 LED midway down on that page. Yeah, I think it was this place.

Got to be careful about whether the places sell by the pair or singles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
roo
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing