Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 Touring
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Touring with the Premium audio/nav system. After a recent incident* where the battery drained completely, we started getting a weird issue with the audio system. Even though we pretty much always listen to SiriusXM, sometimes the system will switch to Bluetooth or USB on startup. After a lot of back and forth with Subaru, they first suggested a factory reset which didn't help. Now they want us to take it to the dealer for a replacement of the unit, which seems wasteful. Has anyone else run into this?

*This happened when we accidentally left the rear liftgate open overnight, this alone can drain the battery. There is now an FSB to remediate this, which we got installed.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
1,645 Posts
I have a 2018 Touring with the Premium audio/nav system. After a recent incident* where the battery drained completely, we started getting a weird issue with the audio system. Even though we pretty much always listen to SiriusXM, sometimes the system will switch to Bluetooth or USB on startup. After a lot of back and forth with Subaru, they first suggested a factory reset which didn't help. Now they want us to take it to the dealer for a replacement of the unit, which seems wasteful. Has anyone else run into this?

*This happened when we accidentally left the rear liftgate open overnight, this alone can drain the battery. There is now an FSB to remediate this, which we got installed.
Try closing the music apps on your phone before getting in the car.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
1,645 Posts
Thanks. They are never open. And this issue never occured before the battery died.
I had the same problem and resolved by rebooting the phone. Sometimes problems are caused by the phone and not the car, though in your it does seem awful coincidental with a change in the car.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 Touring
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the same problem and resolved by rebooting the phone. Sometimes problems are caused by the phone and not the car, though in your it does seem awful coincidental with a change in the car.
Yep, both phones have been rebooted, and it has also tried to go to USB despite there being no media.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
1,645 Posts
Yep, both phones have been rebooted, and it has also tried to go to USB despite there being no media.
The only other solution that seems to help is to remove the phone from the car and vice versa and start from scratch. If you’re still on iOS 13 an upgrade to 14 could help.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
801 Posts
I would disconnect the battery and then reconnect and see if a "cold boot" might fix the radio. After all, it's basically a computer.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 Touring
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would disconnect the battery and then reconnect and see if a "cold boot" might fix the radio. After all, it's basically a computer.
That might be worth a shot to try out, thanks
Just seems like a waste to throw away the radio for a relatively minor quirk.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 Touring
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only other solution that seems to help is to remove the phone from the car and vice versa and start from scratch. If you’re still on iOS 13 an upgrade to 14 could help.
When we did the reset, we had to re-add the phones (Android) back in. I think that is what you are referring to?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts