Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just did the headgasket on my 2.5l Dohc and am now trying to time it. My issue is that I have all the marks lined up like they should be, including disregarding the TDC on this and instead going by the crank marks, and I get a hard stop after about 270 degrees of rotation. This hard stop is both when i turn clockwise and counter clock wise. The crank spins fine when I unload the valves and check it, and the cams spin fine when i set the crank to the halfway piston position. Anyone have any suggestion on where to look next? Is it possible I have the intake and exhaust cams swapped? Is there anyway to check?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So just as an update for anyone who cares, I was able to pinpoint the problem to my failure is mixing up the exhaust and intake cams on Bank 2. I took a picture of the markings when the stoppage occured and then found which valves had load at those angles. Stupid mistake, but I'm proud that I was able to diagnose the issue without to much trouble.

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
Congrats, Timing Is everything, just kidding, For future reference the cams are marked, as are the cam supports on the cylinder heads. I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue without too much trouble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts