Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited wagon, 206K miles
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, my 2000 Outback Limited wagon started doing something weird and disconcerting. On a curve to the left at highway speed, it feels like it understeers a bit, then suddenly it feels like the rear end shifts around into the curve. It almost feels like something's coming loose and making it unstick.

It only does it to the left. Curves to the right feel fine. It only does it at highway speed; normal turns don't seem to have the issue.

I checked tire pressures, and the right rear was about 22 PSI. Filling it to 32 didn't eliminate the problem, but did make it feel less dramatic.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
Jack it up and check for play in the bearings or control arms all the way around, starting with the left rear.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,947 Posts
I can hear Tom and Ray now...

"I don't think you have a serious problem, unless you are unreasonably attached to the idea of not dying in a fiery crash!"

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem turned out to be a shot left front wheel bearing. The wheel would rock a couple of inches back and forth when wiggled. Replaced that, should be fine. We looked everything else over, and the other wheel bearings and control arms were tight.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
I assume it was so shot they also had to replace the hub (the part with the lug nuts).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He replaced the hub, he said, just because it's a good idea to always replace it when replacing the wheel bearings. I don't know if that's true or not, but I'd have probably called for it to be replaced on general principles anyway.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Careful inspection can show if it is OK to re-use the hub, but when the wheel bearing is either tight&hot or loose the hub is almost certainly damaged.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts