Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking to see if anyone has experienced a similar problem. Car is a 2010 Outback Limited 3.6R. Original owner (36,200 miles / 40 months old).

Just recently the speedometer has stopped working intermittently (now more off than on). The economy gauge, odometer, and the digital ecomony gauge near the clock also stop working at the same time. The tachometer, lights, etc all seem to be working OK. This morning my wife advised (it is her car) that the audio system (factory Harmon Kardon) is randomly changing volume from soft to loud.

There is no check engine light when this occurs.

Before the radio thing cropped up I was thinking perhaps there was a problem with the VSS or it's connector, but now that seems much less likely.

Has anyone experienced something similar???? Thanks!

·
Registered
2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
420 Posts
Do you live near a cemetary? :)

Just a guess, but that sounds like it could be a grounding issue.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
Not on my Subaru, but I had an old Ford Taurus that the radio, speedo, and interior lights wouldn't work on. I tapped a ground and jumped it to the body and WHAM all fixed.

I wouldn't suggest that with your Subaru, but it seems like a ground issue. Probably best to let your dealer look at it. This close to your warranty, you MIGHT be able to escelate it to SOA and try to get some warranty help.

·
Registered
18,736 Posts
The speedo and related indicators are all based on the same vehicle speed signal, so it's not unexpected that they all don't work, and your idea of a failing VSS or connection is possible.

On some cars, the radio volume is linked to car speed -- volume is increased as vehicle speed increases to overcome wind noise etc. Check (or ask your wife) if the volume change seems to occur at the same time the speedometer stops working, or resumes working.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited, TBM, with Sun/Nav/Eyesight
54 Posts
Sounds like the sane issues as the puddle light short, do you have puddle lights by chance?

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
Not on my Subaru, but I had an old Ford Taurus that the radio, speedo, and interior lights wouldn't work on. I tapped a ground and jumped it to the body and WHAM all fixed.

I wouldn't suggest that with your Subaru, but it seems like a ground issue. Probably best to let your dealer look at it. This close to your warranty, you MIGHT be able to escelate it to SOA and try to get some warranty help.
It does sound like a bad ground.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses!

No puddle lights on mine. This weekend I am going to try to find where the VSS is located and check it out.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,868 Posts
...can you try for warranty coverage?

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Is it safe to assume you had the recall done back in 2010 for the steering column electrical roll connector? Main symptom was failure of the volume control switches but I do remember reports of it causing additional electrical issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts