Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Legacy L wagon 2.2L 5MT
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a starter noise on my 1999 subaru legacy 5 spd.
It is normal when start the engine in the morning, after driving 20 minutes let engine warm up, stop the engine and restart it, then I heard a noise from starter that lasted for 2-3 seconds and then stopped. This symptom started couple months ago. Another problem is that after the engine warm up, I full press clutch to the floor to change gear, I hear the starter noise lasting 1-2 seconds or something under dash, it won't happen if I do half way to the floor and do very slowly. Is the lockout switch broken? Anybody has similar episodes, and any suggestion? Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any suggestion, i feel like it could be the throwout bearing failure, since it occurs every time when I depress the clutch quickly after engine warms up, except replacement, any other suggestion for reduce the noisy sounds.
It is normal when start the engine in the morning, after driving 20 minutes let engine warm up, stop the engine and restart it, then I heard a noise from starter that lasted for 2-3 seconds and then stopped. This symptom started couple months ago. Another problem is that after the engine warm up, I full press clutch to the floor to change gear, I hear the starter noise lasting 1-2 seconds or something under dash, it won't happen if I do half way to the floor and do very slowly. Is the lockout switch broken? Anybody has similar episodes, and any suggestion? Thanks

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Any suggestion, i feel like it could be the throwout bearing failure, since it occurs every time when I depress the clutch quickly after engine warms up, except replacement, any other suggestion for reduce the noisy sounds.
Throwout / release bearing failing on the input shaft to the clutch. Very common to see in the 140,000 + range which is why its a replacement item in the propper clutch job. Eventually it will damage the input shaft requiring transmission replacement. Thats what you seem to be describing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did some research about the noise, Pilot bearing failure is the highest possibility. The question: can I keep driving the car for a period of time with this noise?
Throwout / release bearing failing on the input shaft to the clutch. Very common to see in the 140,000 + range which is why its a replacement item in the propper clutch job. Eventually it will damage the input shaft requiring transmission replacement. Thats what you seem to be describing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a video for this noise.

Noise when depress clutch - YouTube

1 - 5 of 5 Posts