Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
05 Outback Limited
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm looking for some insight. After getting about five gallons worth of gas (I'm on a budget) I started up and it seemed as if the engine hesitated a bit. Before fueling I noticed the gauge and the miles to empty and after fueling the gauge and mpe were exactly the same. After driving for about ten minutes everything seemed to have balanced itself out. I was thinking I didn't properly screw on the gas cap. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,119 Posts
might be normal, I never noticed.

Could also be a good idea to run a tank or 2 with Techron or seafoam in case the fuel level senders are getting gummed-up.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
Fill it up all the way and see if the problem corrects itself. It's probably just a side effect of such a small fill up.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
The way the car measures fuel load is stepped meaning for example it might have 10 measuring points and if you add a small amount of fuel it may not be enough to trigger the next step up in the fuel sensor. However you get in drive around and the fuel sloshes a bit and the sensor picks up that there is more fuel in the tank than previously noted and bobs your uncle the gauge indicates a change in the fuel level and range on the dash.

Fuel tank indicators are not exact they are just approximated rough indicators of what fuel you have. This is why if you learn to fly you find all pilots dip their tanks with a stick to see how much fuel they have. Nothing sucks worse than running out of fuel as your climbing out over town. Not like you can just pull over and call AAA for a gallon of gas in that type of situation.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
The first time I filled up my 2000 the fuel gauge only showed 3/4 of a tank. It slowly moved up to full after a few minutes. Perhaps the gauges are just slow to register and it makes sense they would be tied into the Miles to Empty indicator as well.

·
Registered
05 Outback Limited
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I normally do just fill it up and at start up the gauges are pegged at max. I did just toss some Techron as well. I'm thinking it's just the slow to sense tank sensors. Thanks for the info guys. I learn something new every time I log in.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I am testing that "distance to empty" indicator. I carry a gasoline can and will try to drive to "0" displayed and see, if the car dies on me...LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts