Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 2018 Touring 3.6R and there are great things and not-so-great things about it. The not-so-great things I’ve noticed most since I got my car 6 days ago revolve around the head unit.

Now, one thing about the head unit, whether it would be considered a bug, a feature, or a featured bug, is truly weird, though I can postulate a theory to explain it.

I limited this thread to 2018 since I’ve not had enough exposure to other years to judge.

But, the weirdest (has to be deliberate!) quirk I’ve seen involves the max volume level for the head unit. Surely, there has to be a higher range that the head unit hardware can support. Surely, the limit it allows you to select is deliberately lower than that limit, though it’s unclear to me if that’s to protect the speakers from being blown out, or your ears, or both.

How weird is it? What’s the top volume level?

It goes from 0-38.

38!

WHAT??? :surprise:

List what you consider to be the weirdest quirks: surely I’ve not noticed the only weird quirk!

Weird quirks: it’s what makes a Subaru a Subaru! :grin2:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Weirdest quirk is owners looking for quirks.............>:)
To be fair: I wasn't looking for quirks, but it's hard to not notice a top volume scale of 38!>:)

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium (w/ E.S.)
46 Posts
Not sure if this is a quirk or not, but on the morning drive I have the heat on a little to get things warmed up through the front vents. When I hit the On/Off button to turn it off, you can still feels hot/warm air coming through; almost as if it's still on but at the 1-bar setting.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Not sure if this is a quirk or not, but on the morning drive I have the heat on a little to get things warmed up through the front vents. When I hit the On/Off button to turn it off, you can still feels hot/warm air coming through; almost as if it's still on but at the 1-bar setting.
Do you have recirculate button on?

Fresh setting will allow air to be pushed in from outside through vents if fan is off.

As far as I know, this is my first Subaru, but that's how my other cars work. Guess I'm not even sure if recirculate button works when the OFF mode is selected.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium (w/ E.S.)
46 Posts
Do you have recirculate button on?

Fresh setting will allow air to be pushed in from outside through vents if fan is off.

As far as I know, this is my first Subaru, but that's how my other cars work. Guess I'm not even sure if recirculate button works when the OFF mode is selected.
Recirculate is off because I'm trying to get defog the windshield, but I will give it a try tomorrow.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Recirculate is off because I'm trying to get defog the windshield, but I will give it a try tomorrow.
Oh, I just meant when it goes to the OFF position. Certainly when it's ON and you're trying to accomplish something I would use the setting which is appropriate for the task you are trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i with eyesight & nav.
63 Posts
Is there a way to change the voice on the nav system because that woman's voice has a strange half southern accent and she sure is long winded. It seems like only certain words have a twang or drawn out a bit. I wish there was an abbreviated setting for directions. Take Exit 85. Rather than Exit#, Route#,Direction, Town.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,659 Posts
Is there a way to change the voice on the nav system because that woman's voice has a strange half southern accent and she sure is long winded. It seems like only certain words have a twang or drawn out a bit. I wish there was an abbreviated setting for directions. Take Exit 85. Rather than Exit#, Route#, Direction, Town.
I'm pretty sure there is an abbreviated voice command. If I remember, you turn off verbose.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
0 to 38 or 0 to 138 the max volume will be the same. 38 is a nice number, not too small, not too large and not so predictable as 40.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring
64 Posts
My husband's Town and Country max volume is a weird number, and my Chevy Equinox had a weird one too. Maybe it's an industry-wide oddity.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
0 to 38 or 0 to 138 the max volume will be the same. 38 is a nice number, not too small, not too large and not so predictable as 40.
Here's the thing: my previous Subaru didn't have that limit and could get louder to where it was deafening/painful to me: this is (in theory) a far more powerful system, but it doesn't deafen me, but I note it's around the upper limit of causing hearing loss volume.

My theory is it has a loudness governor on it, but the hardware can do (at least the amplifier, if not the speakers) notably louder output, so it may go to 40, perhaps 100, I don't know.

I could see limiting max volume for legal reasons as well, given the sue-happy state of things in the US.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited, Ice Silver/Titanium Gray Leather Interior
269 Posts
Here's the thing: my previous Subaru didn't have that limit and could get louder to where it was deafening/painful to me: this is (in theory) a far more powerful system, but it doesn't deafen me, but I note it's around the upper limit of causing hearing loss volume.

My theory is it has a loudness governor on it, but the hardware can do (at least the amplifier, if not the speakers) notably louder output, so it may go to 40, perhaps 100, I don't know.

I could see limiting max volume for legal reasons as well, given the sue-happy state of things in the US.
Regardless of what the number designation is, the threshold of clean volume before it sounds pushed occurs well before '38'. So I don't really care what the number is. It gets loud enough before reaching that number. (for me)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Regardless of what the number designation is, the threshold of clean volume before it sounds pushed occurs well before '38'. So I don't really care what the number is. It gets loud enough before reaching that number. (for me)
I'll admit, I've only briefly had it at max as a test with actual max, other than the quirk that when connected one way, audio played from iPhone was fully there with other audio sources, and the other way had the volume also modified by the iPhone volume settings.

If I listened to music that loud for very long, my ears would be distorting things!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have another quirk.

I have a 2018 3.6R Limited so it may be different than others. But, the steering wheel. You know that bottom piece of the 3 spoke design? right at 6 o'clock? Thats not just an ugly plastic piece. No. Thats a button for the HORN.

As i was turning today i usually grab the 6 o'clock position to make tight turns and accidentally honked at someone....

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have another quirk.

I have a 2018 3.6R Limited so it may be different than others. But, the steering wheel. You know that bottom piece of the 3 spoke design? right at 6 o'clock? Thats not just an ugly plastic piece. No. Thats a button for the HORN.

As i was turning today i usually grab the 6 o'clock position to make tight turns and accidentally honked at someone....
I'll have to look. I never tried to honk the horn or look to see if its a 'button' rather than the center of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R
51 Posts
I have another quirk.

I pushed it 3 times when I was going home from the pickup. Really wish it was elsewhere!

·
Registered
17 OB Premium, White w/black
105 Posts
I was hoping the volume would go to 42. Dangit!

Reactions: ammcinnis

·
Registered
269 Posts
I checked the horn on my 2018 Outback Limited. The Horn works from the center of the steering wheel and also the entire center spoke at 6 o'clock honks the horn. I was thrown off when someone said a 'button' honks the horn.

Side bar question. I can't see where there is a button for air recirculating or allowing outside air in for the AC/climate control. Am I missing something? Is there a way to set it for Recirculating internal air only?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts