Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 OBW Sapphire AWD AT 152,598
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I registered last summer when I was having issues, and never posted.

I'm the second owner of my Subaru, we'll have been together a decade this next spring. I found the car as it was being traded in for a newer model, I was waiting on an oil change. It was manufactured, I believe in July of 1998, (I still have the paperwork in my files) and was shipped to Alaska for the original owner. I bought it in Alaska and moved to the Pacific Northwest a few years ago. I've actually used my block heater a few times since leaving the 49th state and was grateful to have it so I could let a friend park in my garage.

I have a garage with a decent amount of space, and have parked inside for the past six or so years, which makes some maintenance easy since it is warm, dry and well lit. I go to the local Napa to buy my odds and ends, since they provide a AAA discount and the all male employees treat me with respect. Doing basic things on my Subaru has been quite useful for the other Subaru owners in my life, specifically my friends and coworkers. My town has a lot of Subaru owners, and a highly related dealer and service department, so I'm very lucky in that respect.

I'd say my most recent triumph was the light under the shift indicator that doesn't show up on parts lists. I got a new bulb in it on a rainy Saturday afternoon in the Napa parking lot and was horrified of all the crud that I found when I took the gear shift apart. My most recent failure was when I had a new ignition put in, and not getting the doors keyed to match. My exboyfriend has a 2000 Forester he doesn't take enough care of, so I constantly do minor maintenance and I'm hoping to shame him into learning more and being more respectful of his vehicle.

My projects for the next couple of weeks include:
Taking off the dash and trying the youtube video fix for my intermittent speedometer. Maybe also sort out the lighting issue in the original stereo that is a tape deck and weather channels.
Giving the interior a good vacuuming and dusting.
Figuring out what the **** happened to my driver's side fog light that the bulb is hanging out the back and the cover is loose, and installing the new bulb I bought last week.

In the next couple of months I'm considering:
Going to a scrap yard to get a couple pieces for repairs.

The front passenger door hasn't had a good lower seal for years, and the piece with two screws up near the pillar is loose and can make the door hard to close. The plastic pins that hold it in the bottom won't stay in the door, they were ripped out when the door iced shut. I was thinking I could take the interior off and anchor the bits inside, and replace the missing screw. If not I'd get a used one and install it myself if possible.

The interior of the driver's side door, behind the seat and seatbelt has loose weather stripping I might look for and install on my own if possible.

Finding the piece for that illuminates the gear shift from below, it is broken and melted so the bulb doesn't stay put.

Swapping out fuses for better quality.

Getting my cracked windshield replaced (by a professional, I have insurance).

I've got books and resources from the public library, but I'm hoping to come here to get some feedback so I don't take on an unrealistic project. I plan to drive this car until it is impractical to do so, and I definitely don't want to flunk it up in the process.

·
Registered
99 OTBK 5MT, 2014 OTBK 6MT
89 Posts
Welcome!

Well Welcome to this Forum!

I love going to the junkyard and finding some sweet deals and gems. I will keep an eye out for some parts if I see them.

Check the Classifieds here, there are really good deals.

Nipper is a very knowledgeable :29:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Am a newbie here also, but can offer some advice.
Since your garage is warm, weatherstripping adhesive will do well for your seals.
You can probably get the seals and pins from your visit to the junkyard.
Don't know how cold it gets there, but here (hudson valley), we generally put Armor All or a rubber preservative on the door seals to help keep the moisture out so the doors don't freeze as tight.
I "assume" you mean removing the gauge cluster to deal with the speedometer, not the whole dash.
Have fun.

O.

·
Registered
1999 OBW Sapphire AWD AT 152,598
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the words of welcome! :D

Almost a week later and I haven't done much of anything, but I don't have to be back in the office until January 2nd so the next few days hold promise. I did other household chores so my time was well spent dealing with hard water problems. The only drain in my garage is near the water heater, and unfortunately snow and ice melt in place and if I don't sweep it towards the door I just wait for it to evaporate. I have a tarp I can throw down if the concrete is wet where I need to work on the fog light.

A better magnetic screwdriver will be purchased before anything beyond the fog light is attempted. I learned an annoying lesson from the shift indicator light experience, screws were dropped in a place where I couldn't retrieve them. I also keep in the house and the car, headlamps and work gloves that have the palms and fingers coated. The gloves are great for hand protection, grip, and not getting fingerprints and oil on bulbs and lamps. I keep one pair in the box with my tire cables for just that purpose. I got a small see through locking plastic box that will hold extra bulbs and lamps and I can keep those in the car.

Exboyfriend will be my assistant in exchange for keeping his bicycle in my garage for the winter. We took his car to run errands last week and the oil light kept coming on, he hadn't bothered to check the dipstick since he was planning on getting an oil change. :rolleyes: I made him stop and check the dipstick, and luckily he had oil in the car which fixed the situation. He took his Forester in last Friday for an oil change and was told the head gasket is leaking.

I had another not so bright moment last week. I purchased batteries for the key fobs since one wasn't responding well, and I figure why not have a replacement on hand when I open it up and test the battery. Bought the wrong batteries and the battery tester is at work, so that's a task for another day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts