Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I purchased this car for $1995. It had 1 owner an old lady (besides the guy who bought it at an estate auction) the car has 260k miles on it! The engine itself sounds great!

Just thought I would say hello and ask a few quiestikns

I do not have a record of oil changes etc on it.....

The issues..
The normal place for rust on the drivers wheel well was patched but poorly
Rust in both passenger doors the frame not the doors ... again patched but poorly and needs to be re patched

The front end is a little messed up but its not bad (would need a bumper) but I don't care how it looks really..

The exhaust needs some work coming from the from the end by the engine has rotted out at the flange... was thinking of possibly getting it chopped and welded

Minor interior wear back seat pristine same with passengers major wear on drivers seat and steering wheel...

The limited "wooden" stickers where peeling so I tore them off...

One of the rear speaker grills is missing... in the trunk area

Drivers side door light cover missing

Could probably use some brakes

Already got new wipers...

Tires are almost new!

It has 260k miles and is still running!

Even if I make it to 300k with little to no money in it it would pay for itself....

All weather mats including for the trunk (from Subaru) and cargo cover...

Middle moon roof is jammed (not really an issue for me)
I am delivering pizza with it for my uncle with a 20% of the sale plus tip and delivery fee if applicable made an average of $1.20 per mile driven last week (including gas)

Ohh and also someone at GEICO messed up some how I am added to my mom insurance and my car is $48 for 6 months for the state minimum insurance and I'm 17 should be higher but who's complaining XD

Would anyone recommend what i should do to the car? I have a budget of like 500 bucks...

Also how many miles does yours have?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you serious when you say that? Just change the fluids and nothing else I bet this one could go 400k miles easy

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
Well, it is due for timing belt, all tensioners and pulleys, and water pump every 105k. Suggest crank and cam seals, resealing oil pump, replace tstat (OEM ONLY!).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it possible to tell how new the timing belt is like can you see visible wear because it could be brand new..... and I not know... I would hate to spend the money replacing all that on a car I paid 2k for... doesn't make much sense...

Edit

Can are any of those parts more important?
I understand the timing belt is very important to replace but the water pump can't I replace that only when the engine starts to overheat?

·
Registered
2008 Ford Escape XLS - 2002 Subaru Outback
246 Posts
The timing belt and water pump should be done together. The parts aren't the epensive thing, it's the labor. It's not a simple job at all, and is reccomended that a mechanic does it. If the water pump goes bad, and you don't see your temp gauge climb (which it will do so quickly) you run a giant risk of blowing the motor. Mathimatically the timing belt should be fine, and betting on it, if you only get 5k miles out of this car over the next 6 months you'd be golden. Change all the fluids is what I would do tomorrow/asap. Save your money up for a new car once this one kicks the bucket.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright I replaced light bulbs behind my instrument panel and come to find out the check engine light was blown and now lights up when I turn it on....

Its probably from the hole in my exhaust.... at least I hope so....

But anyways your absolutely just save the money and put for a new car let it go till the engine craps its self then scrap it +$250 lol... but then again I would like to get a good year out of this... and try to save a little for college

·
Registered
246 Posts
Don't scrap it, part it out. Take everything apart peice by peice. You actually never know, it could kick the bucket today, or if you change the timing belt another 200k

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would anyone recommend what brand / where to buy timing belt and whatever else you think should be replced ... pulleys whatever else possibly a kit...?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yeah, you need the whole kit. That $175 stand between having your car for many more years and having it blow up next week. If you have a friend that is highly mechanically inclined or a family memeber have them do it. Or worse comes to worse just save up for a bit more and have it professtionally done, I think its about $600-$800 for them to do it.

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon 2.5i 208000 miles
99 Posts
There seem to be a number of timing belt threads on this forum. The most recent is on page 3. Maybe read through a few of these, and there are a lot of good thoughts and ideas on where to get the kits. Good luck.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,454 Posts
I recommended the Gates timing belt kit. It includes the belt, all idlers and a new water pump. It is under $200 from rockauto.

The only issue with it is the waterpump gasket. I recommend an Subaru one. Also recommend Subaru for cam and crank seals.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I want to order it but am wondering how new the belt is I really should check to see how the water pump looks because if done properly it should have been done 40k miles ago... and it seems to have had some repairs done I notice a rebuilt in the USA Subaru alternator and a newer serpentine belt also what looks like new spark plugs I wish I had gotten a Carfax history report.. but 34.99 for only 49 records seems like alot

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Android call your local subaru service shop mid day not in the morning or evening and tell them you just got an old subaru and wanted to see if they could look up their history in the system. Give him the vin - he can tell you where it was purchased new - and what service history it has seen with any subaru dealer. Tell him your trying to figure out if the timing belt was done.

You might luck out and get all the information and details you need in a 5 minute free phone call. If toyota can give me 10 pages of service history on my 93 Toyota subaru can give you a fair bit of info and history on your car also.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I added it to the my Subaru site and only had 3 dealer service records on it all for recalls I'm assuming they went to a shop as it has Napa parts on it and such

1 - 20 of 26 Posts