Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5cvtprem, 07 impreza
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Took the 2013 to Florida, had a sears car topper thing all filled up on the roof racks. (Sears Sport sv-20) Car was not overly full. I was lead to believe this car top carrier would not impact gas mileage much. My first reaction was the car felt heavy, braked slower, wind noise was louder, and it took a lot longer to get up to speed. It really took a lot to get up the big hills. Gas mileage wasn't terrible but there was a definite difference having the car top carrier. When we got to Disney world the car was just covered in dirty Ohio salt since it was snowing when we left. I pulled in to to car wash and it said max 7'. Well I didn't think I was over 7' so I went for it. I dinged the 7' sign as i pulled in just barely. There was no damage to the car wash but I found some dings and scrapes on the car topper lmao. Car was great for the trip, no issues, biggest issue was the much slower braking. Just my experience for anyone that cares. :D

·
Registered
'14, 2.5 SAP w/Eyesight
118 Posts
Anytime you change the aerodynamics of your car you're going to see an impact on fuel economy. I use the Subaru (Yakima) Heavy Duty Cargo Basket on camping/skiing trips and see a noticeable drop in MPG's. Economy seems to be so sensitive to aerodynamics that I have noticed a 1-2 MPG drop when I removed the fairing from the empty basket. Even with a sleek cargo box like your's you're going to pay for that extra cargo room with MPG's.

On the bright side, you can always take it off for your daily commute and get those MPG's back... unlike folks who buy a large SUV and have to permanently lug around 5,000lbs even for milk runs.

Thanks for sharing your trip story.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/65-parts-accessories-performance/47714-roof-basket-affect-mpg.html#post454496

·
Registered
268 Posts
frankly, most of the roof boxes on the market today are designed with looks in mind rather than aerodynamics. The wedge-shape and blunt rear end is what creates drag and kills your mpg. In fact, you may get better MPG by mounting those boxes backwards. These designers need to look at an airplane for inspiration.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Hey all. Took the 2013 to Florida, had a sears car topper thing all filled up on the roof racks. (Sears Sport sv-20) Car was not overly full. I was lead to believe this car top carrier would not impact gas mileage much. My first reaction was the car felt heavy, braked slower, wind noise was louder, and it took a lot longer to get up to speed. It really took a lot to get up the big hills. Gas mileage wasn't terrible but there was a definite difference having the car top carrier. When we got to Disney world the car was just covered in dirty Ohio salt since it was snowing when we left. I pulled in to to car wash and it said max 7'. Well I didn't think I was over 7' so I went for it. I dinged the 7' sign as i pulled in just barely. There was no damage to the car wash but I found some dings and scrapes on the car topper lmao. Car was great for the trip, no issues, biggest issue was the much slower braking. Just my experience for anyone that cares. :D
The big giant / tall boxes for sure impact mileage if you hit a 7ft sign that box your using is HUGE and a giant mileage killer. You get what you pay for.

This type of roof box is about 2-3mpg hit at 70mph I have one and have run it on 4 different vehicles since 2004.

Image Detail for - Cargo box Thule for sale in Gander, Newfoundland Classifieds ...

This type of box I often laugh when I see them given yes lots of storage space but your weight limit is still 150lbs and your left with a very short terrible shape for drag and mileage impact.
Image Detail for - Amazon.com: Sears X-Cargo Rooftop Cargo Carrier: Explore similar items

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
Roofbox used a few times a year and worse MPG is still cheaper than a larger SUV with more room and only needed than same few times a year. Its vacation. Don't sweat the extra $50 in gas or you should have stayed home. I love my SV 20 BTW. Can get lots of bulky and sandy items in there, including golf clubs. Not to mention the 200-250 price tag.....cant beat it tor that!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts