·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not apples to apples but here is a basic comparison of
Ford Fusion
Nissan Altima
Outback (LTD)

The Nissan and Ford are a bit harder for me to get in and out of after 2 back surgeries, the Outback really shines for me here.

The outback has stiffened their ride a bit over '12 to get the media complaints about handling a bit more positive. While it is stiffer it has a nicer sitting position and this will more than likely make up for any stiffness over a long drive (when I can do that again).

The Outbacks EyeSight is significantly nicer than what Ford and Nissan offer for their safety features. Nissan does offer blind spot notification but the front stopping with the Outback outweighs that in my opinion, too bad no back camera to see oncoming speeding idiots.

Highway, the Fusion has too much wind noise, not better than last year even with the new design.

The Altima's wind noise was not bad, maybe a tad quieter than the Outback, maybe a dead heat

The Outback and wind noise is good, not as good as my company Taurus but very good, and I did not play the radio at all as that is what it is and I wanted to hear noise. We had to stop and take the plastic off to really hear how quiet the Outback is and it made a huge difference and they knew this was a key item for me.

They are all comfortable but the driving position of the outback once in is just best.

Getting in and out is a breeze for me, that gave them 10 points right there.

So this week I will order one to be built to get the better deal as I have some time and can wait and can save a few extra hundred dollars.

I decided to go with
Navi/Moonroof, Eyesight
rear bumper cover
Cargo net (I think against the seat is best unless others have a different view of this).
Splash guards
Body Side Molding
stuck on Electric Start and if I really have to have it, never had before and hate getting into a hot car.

Going with the new Blue, Twilight Blue Metallic (green was close behind) and the light beige leather interior. Hard to part with $30k, first purchase in 27 years for a car...but I think this is a good choice, I will not be driving very much so this car can last me a lifetime (or the rest of mine if I want it to) if I care for it, which I do.

Thanks for help on my previous questions, it was funny that on the test drive without the eyesight I really could have used it as I got distracted trying to adjust the temp and, well, it was close. Eyesight would have dealt with that easily, so that alone told me for me it is important, now to see if insurance will take money off because of added safety features.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Not apples to apples but here is a basic comparison of
Ford Fusion
Nissan Altima
Outback (LTD)
Out of curiosity, how did you end up with that list? The Ford Fusion and Nissan Altima are small sedans, and aren't even in the same class of vehicle as the Outback.

The Ford Escape and Nissan Rogue are the vehicles comparable to the Subaru Outback in the Ford and Nissan offerings, I'm pretty sure.

Other comparable vehicles:
Honda CR-V, Mitsubishi Outlander, Mazda CX5

Comparing an Outback to a Fusion is like comparing it to a Honda Civic. Apples and Oranges.

·
Registered
498 Posts
What is the purpose of this post??? At least compare apples and oranges. Not apples and pineapples. A station wagon type vehicle such as the outback will always have more road and wind noise than a sedan. Worthless posting in my book.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Out of curiosity, how did you end up with that list? The Ford Fusion and Nissan Altima are small sedans, and aren't even in the same class of vehicle as the Outback.

The Ford Escape and Nissan Rogue are the vehicles comparable to the Subaru Outback in the Ford and Nissan offerings, I'm pretty sure.

Other comparable vehicles:
Honda CR-V, Mitsubishi Outlander, Mazda CX5

Comparing an Outback to a Fusion is like comparing it to a Honda Civic. Apples and Oranges.
It was just the list of cars that interested me. I do not like the Rouge, the CR-V is way to wind noisy, the Rav I found too stiff, etc...so the outback, I think after my car accident started to make sense to me as I felt it would not just be easer to get into but maybe safer, a bit anyway because it has some height. I originally was going to buy a sedan and the Altima was the one but after my accident and one test drive in the outback last year it was part of the group. There is no other larger vehicle that interests me. People never understand how a list of cars for me do not have to all be from the same type of family, that was the case here as well.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the purpose of this post??? At least compare apples and oranges. Not apples and pineapples. A station wagon type vehicle such as the outback will always have more road and wind noise than a sedan. Worthless posting in my book.
OK, not a problem, I will stop posting here, i am sorry I offended you Lavarock. You must be a moderator and I hate to offend anyone. and BTW, the Outback did better in wind noise, if you would have read my post you would have seen that, so there was a purpose, the Fusion could not hold up to the outback in that way. Bye, see you all around...sorry my post was not one you liked, I have other ways to spend my time...

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
OK, not a problem, I will stop posting here, i am sorry I offended you Lavarock. You must be a moderator and I hate to offend anyone. and BTW, the Outback did better in wind noise, if you would have read my post you would have seen that, so there was a purpose, the Fusion could not hold up to the outback in that way. Bye, see you all around...sorry my post was not one you liked, I have other ways to spend my time...
Don't feed the trolls. They trend to grow things.

I find that people start looking at cars they think look nice and then eventually pick a car that fits their situation. Years ago i would never have thought of owning a "foreign" car. The OB was not on my list at first. After driving many different cars and some small trucks I picked the OB.

Not uncommon at all.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
JRS11 - stay on! After a while you will get used to some posters, who disagree with whatever you have to say. Quitting is not an option and/or solution. Engage in a meaningful exchange of ideas, opinions and sometimes pathetic responses. Good choice on chosing OB. It's not the best car in a world but you will join the Subaru family of enthusiastic followers and will learn many things from these pages.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks jogosub and Novablue. I appreciate your words, I thought I had violated a code..... and yes Novablue, that is exactly what happened, I drove many different cars and small SUV's even though I did not want an SUV, and the outback is not an SUV but a high standing station wagon that makes it easy for me to get in and out... I appreciate the feedback from both of you, thanks.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
The forum has an "ignore" feature where you can tune out a particular user's posts for eternity. Works great for avoiding idiots :)

People here get obsessed with "apples to apples" comparisons, even though not everyone only cross shops things in the same class. Heaven forbid you share your opinions of an OB vs. anything else that doesn't share 99% of its traits. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did it from the CPU but this will be easier if I need it in the future. There will always be those that want only what they want on a forum, I am not one of those and it is nice to talk about something like a new car (first one I have bought in 27 years, will miss those free cars I was getting but now I am getting one I really want). Thanks again....ignore complete on those guys, and they may be ok, but on one of the posts I felt attacked so just easier not to read it...thanks again

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
My first car (in the U.S.) was Corvair - back in 1968 - the one that Ralph Nader killed. In spite of that, I liked that car a lot. I've paid $ 75.00 for it back then....
My very first car in my life (in EU) was Simca Aronde - liked that one as well! Anybody remembers those fine automobiles?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My first car (in the U.S.) was Corvair - back in 1968 - the one that Ralph Nader killed. In spite of that, I liked that car a lot. I've paid $ 75.00 for it back then....
My very first car in my life (in EU) was Simca Aronde - liked that one as well! Anybody remembers those fine automobiles?
I also had a Corvair, the second generation, got it in '69, I think it was a '65. It was white, 3 speed on the floor with a bench seat (American cars). One day we got nuts and put Z-28 racing stripes on it, thrush muffler, it was a blast and I liked it too. That was my second car, my first was a triumph Herald. My first good car was a '73 BMW 2002 before they were known well here in the US, bought it new when I graduated from College.. Probably the best car I ever owned.

·
Registered
320 Posts
People compare apples to oranges all of the time. They're both fruits. The same goes for a pineapple. Just because the vehicles the original poster listed are not in the same class doesn't mean they don't have certain things in common that some drivers want.

This forum is also used to discuss decisions besides just asking questions. Your post specifically is more worthless when compared to everyone's replies in this thread.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
That's funny - I also had BMW - it was 2002 Tii - bright yellow. Drove from NYC to L.A. in 3 days (before they put speed limits on Interstates.. averaged 1000 miles per day). My longest drive though was from L.A. to Fairbanks, Alaska - that was 4400 miles and we did it in less than a week (2 drivers driving non-stop). Totally ruined my Suburban; tennis ball hole in the front windshield; busted front headlights, just to mention a few...lot of "dirt roads" sections still on Alaska highway...took a Ferry in Dawson City, Yukon - crossing the Yukon river and drove into Fairbanks from the "top of the world highway"...what a trip that was!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
8 Participants
jogosub
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing