Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R, Crystal White Pearl
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to get an OEM filter today for an early OC, was expecting blue filter for 3.6 and was given black one.

I asked and was told 'just whatever we get in - the black are for new cars from the factory, sometimes we get black ones here'.

Any known differences? It's the right number '31' for the 3.6 but wondering why they wouldn't have blue and how they ended up with factory-use blacks?

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,701 Posts
This is a topic that'll open up a can of worms but let me just put it out there for you.

The blue can is made by Fram for Subaru.

The black can is usually made by Toyko Roki. Black is better made.

That said, if you are married to using Subie filters the black would be my first choice but either black or blue is adequate. Do not fret and do not take Zoloft or Ambien for this issue. Take it for other things but not this.

Now if you want to go off the rez, the Mobil1 104 or the Fram Ultra 9688 are much better filters for around $9. I only used the factory filter for about 2.5k miles and nothing but Fram or Mobil thereafter. My UOAs are posted on the forum so there are no issues or wear concerns from Blackstone.

But I swim mightily upstream whenever I suggest a non-Subie filter here. The biggest pushback I receive is over the higher bypass setting however both Mobil and Fram have said it is not a concern when you use something other than a plain cellulose filtering media which is what the factory filters are. Again, my UOAs which are hard data, do not show a single problem through 42k miles to date.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
This is a topic that'll open up a can of worms but let me just put it out there for you.
Where do the Bosch fit in the mix. I like to run a larger capacity Bosch 3233.

Oh Rub'd one ... or "Obie-Rubbed-Nobie"

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,701 Posts
:shakeshead:

I see that you're huffing urethane again.

The Bosch isn't a great filter but it isn't bottom of the heap either. This is based on the specs where the testing is using 20 micron filtering.

From the Bosch site their 3500 filter holds 14 grams of cooties so let's determine what that means.

An engine puts out about 1 gram of cooties for every 1k miles so at a 6k interval, you should anticipate 6 grams of gunk in the filtering media. Both the Ultra and M1 filters are recommending use for up to 20k which is at least 2 changes and Honda, who uses thimble sized filters, recommends changing the filter every other change on some cars. Fram reports on BITOG that their cans are holding up to 30 grams of cooties but they only recommend 20k for liability reasons.

I suppose what I'm saying is that with a good filter that has lots of pleats and is of excellent media you don't need a larger can. It does nothing of value that you aren't getting with a regular sized can. Oils are better, filters are better too so in this day and age, size doesn't matter.

This is why I keep saying that that the Ultra left on over two changes is still a much better filter than the blue can being changed each time.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R, Crystal White Pearl
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The blue can is made by Fram for Subaru.

The black can is usually made by Toyko Roki. Black is better made.

That said, if you are married to using Subie filters the black would be my first choice but either black or blue is adequate. Do not fret and do not take Zoloft or Ambien for this issue. Take it for other things but not this.

Now if you want to go off the rez, the Mobil1 104 or the Fram Ultra 9688 are much better filters for around $9. I only used the factory filter for about 2.5k miles and nothing but Fram or Mobil thereafter. My UOAs are posted on the forum so there are no issues or wear concerns from Blackstone.

But I swim mightily upstream whenever I suggest a non-Subie filter here. The biggest pushback I receive is over the higher bypass setting however both Mobil and Fram have said it is not a concern when you use something other than a plain cellulose filtering media which is what the factory filters are. Again, my UOAs which are hard data, do not show a single problem through 42k miles to date.
I'm new to Subaru, only having put 1250 miles on my 18 OB since 6/16/2018 so I'm 'moldable' yet, so I'll be happy with the black one and be happy :) Thanks Sir!

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
So @Rub, this means I go back to the M1 fitment for my turbos...

That's all I needed to know. Thanks. Which used to be my filter of choice. BTW, I change my oil and filter at 3500 so all this probably matters very little in my application.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,215 Posts
japanese made Roki Black case filters sold by dealers are great.

I think the dealers just get lots of those sometimes as Roki is knocking them out for the various japanese car companies, and subaru can't get enough Roki made blue ones with the "subaru" label on them,...so Roki just sells them the black case ones.

:smile2: blue case = :smile2: black case = :smile2: me.

I think I got a Roki black case for EZ30 on each of my cars right now.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Limited/Ex: 2000 Outback Limited
203 Posts
I think different brands were discussed in another thread (don't know where) and WIX made all of Subaru's specs. Yes or no?

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts