Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
02 OBW L.L. Bean
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When you know how to fix cars, CL and facebook classifieds is a very dangerous place to hang out. Last year I picked up a turbocharged Miata for cheap. Wasn't the best purchase for winter time. So I fixed up what needed fixing and sold it to my Dad come spring. He didn't have it long and flipped it for twice what I sold it to him for, miatas don't sell well where I am for some reason.

This year, instead up renting a car to do our usual Christmas winter travels to the upper midwest, I figured I would buy a car and maybe turn around and sell it come spring. OR hope that my wife would end up driving it since she refuses to learn manual transmission. I am NOT selling my 1992 Galant VR4...

Facebook classifieds has this 02 LL Bean for $500 that overheats, with 234k on it. Quick search here for a common problem might be a bad radiator cap. But the seller doesn't include the radiator with the purchase, but will tow it to my house for free. Reading that head gaskets are rare on this car, I say sure, why not.

·
Registered
02 OBW L.L. Bean
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Problems I missed:
Both cv axles are torn
Driver side inner tie rod boot torn
No radiator
No trans cooler rubber lines
Coolant in the oil

Problems I didn't miss:
Interior needed a DEEP clean
Looks like someone tried to pull the 6 disc changer out of the dash without taking any trim apart
Cracked tail lights
Hazy head lights

But the true greatness for me, is this thing is RUST-FREE!!!!

·
Registered
02 OBW L.L. Bean
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I am the search for a used motor with about 2 months until Holiday travels.
I find out down in Alabama, just 5 hours away with 150k on it for cheaper than anything else shipped to me once you factor in a rental of a truck and gas money. Time is meaningless when you don't get paid for your job. I am a stay at home dad.
This was the first time I ever pulled a motor on a Subaru... and I do have to say that the separate engine harness from the main harness was quite nice. Almost as easy pulling it out as a Honda. I also grabbed as much off the old motor before swapping the bad for the junkyard good as I had no idea what I was going to be given. (Foreshadowing...)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,486 Posts
if it is just the rad:

CSF aftermarket, for the H6, and a OEM rad cap,

and new rubber hoses, (maybe some metal ones),...subaru OEM is not bad on price and the bent shapes are just right.

_____

if it is head gaskets a JDM 212hp EZ30D can be had for as little as $700. (a drop in with some piping to the brake booster).

and if a 2001-2004 is for sale cheap, head gaskets it maybe. and $500 is a great price for such without rust.

_____

do not let it be towed without 4 wheels up on a trailer or a flat bed. (= torque bind from driving 2wheels down, is fixable, but I would pay for a trailer or a flatbed before cracking open the trans to replace the part). some people are smart enough to quickly disconnect the drive shaft(s), for 2 wheel down dolly towing, but not all. (uhaul "auto transport" is great vs. the crap dolly things).

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,486 Posts
oh you are separating this typical epic story here into muliple posts to get your post count up high enough to send pms.

type away.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,832 Posts
search for threads about every process you are doing - TC slips forward easily.. DO NOT crush the hydraulic pump by forcing the engine into the trans with the mount bolts!

be sure to check the 'sticky' threads at the top of the Gen2 forum.

change valve cover gaskets and plugs before engine goes in. NGK double platinum or iridium

unusual for soobs to throw coolant into oil but not unheard of.

·
Registered
02 OBW L.L. Bean
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Swap back in to the engine bay went flawless. Used my kids swingset, this was an over build DIY item from some scrap pipe, and a come along winch as an engine hoist.
Along the way, I fixed the CV axles with new axles (which might be an isssue), fixed the torn inner tie rod boot which was a huge pita to get over the steering rack, replaced all fluids (atf, front and rear diff), new radiator and cap, new OE thermostat, OE AT cooler lines, and installed AT bolts that were missing in the pan (I wonder why the gasket was leaking...)
Cleaned the crap out of the interior. Actually removed the carpet and pressure washed it. The interior looks like the interior of a well taken care of 250k mile car now. Not perfect, but pretty good.

·
Registered
02 OBW L.L. Bean
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still need to fix some slight issues:
Didn't swap over the Fuel injectors when doing the engine (Didn't think about the motor sitting for a year or two) and was getting lean codes on both banks. Did an Italian tune up, and the left bank code went away, but the right is still happening. Will swap the injectors for the old ones and throw some fuel injector cleaner in there. If it doesn't go away after this, I will send the injectors out to get cleaned as who knows what gas the previous owners were using.
Missing the puddle light cover on the pass front door.
Missing Cover to cargo area light.
Power steering pump groans (there was a leak, but the o ring was pinched and I fixed that). At higher speeds, when putting pressure on the steering wheel to the left slightly there is a slight wobble in the wheel. Not sure if this is due to the new axles, the pump being bad, or maybe the u joint from the wheel to the rack being bad.
Tail lights have spider cracks in them or cracked to having holes.
Driver side taillight wiring harness is corroded at one of the bulbs.
The rear moonroof cover doesn't slide well.
It didn't come with floor mats.
There is a hole where I removed the demolished 6 disc changer, need to put in a pocket and maybe an aux jack if I can figure out the wiring to add one since I remembered to keep the plug for the changer.

·
Registered
02 OBW L.L. Bean
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forgot to mention that if you remove your tint due to bubbling, do it when it is warm as the removing the glue when it is about 32F takes forever.
Also, the toothpaste method of cleaning the haze off your headlights works well enough. The light can actually get through now.

·
Registered
02 OBW L.L. Bean
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am just waiting for nap time for the twins and I will be free to swap in the old injectors and see if that clears up the lean issue. I aslo went through the subaru walkthrough for the P0171 code and this is pretty much what is left. I did see the thread on nabisco about the other issues to check: since I can't post links, yet, the "P0171 CEL Thread - Everything you ever wanted to know?"

If you have any recommendations for the issues I still have, I will take them.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,832 Posts
inner tie rods may be loose

consider checking for cap/o-ring problem on fuel pump

·
Registered
02 OBW L.L. Bean
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh you are separating this typical epic story here into muliple posts to get your post count up high enough to send pms.

type away.
That, and the watching the kids, it is safer to do shorter posts than them getting to the computer and deleting everything.

·
Registered
02 OBW L.L. Bean
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
inner tie rods may be loose

consider checking for cap/o-ring problem on fuel pump
Forgot to mention that.
I was having a no start issue after putting on a new idler pulley. Started up and after a minute died as I was trying to figure out the squeal I was having. (Ended up needing a new vbelt). I saw the fuel pump thing and thought it was worth a shot. Fuel pump cap was perfect and the oring was swollen, replaced it with a brown viton one. Still wouldn't start. Come to realize the two grounding straps on the engine I forgot to tighten down and once I did that, it fired right up.

There is no play in the wheels at 6 and 12 (wheel bearing) or 3 and 6 (tie rods). I didn't use OE axles or rebuild the OE axles (which I can as I still have them). I am leaning towards this or the pump being bad.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,486 Posts
this is what I bought to refinsh headlights. parking facing the sun really does them in.

$20 and 45 minutes with a garden hose for cleanup. (at the time I read some testing comparisons, and this was the most compelte kit that lasted the longest,...my headlights are still bright after like 3-4 years,...spider cracks are on the inside, but the outside of the lens now perfect).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00429NKWK/

_______

floor mats: the meanest front mats from the walmart isle. had them for 18 plus years now, just keep transferring them out to a new one when I toss a car. hold a whole lot of boot water and mud. rear rubber ones I have yet to buy, you will need to as you say you got kids.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts