Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ohio where I am currently for one more day got 8-10" of the really heavy wet snow that is ultra slippery. I drove the OB around when only 4WDs or AWDs were mostly out. I could hardly get the traction control light to come on. Still need to be careful stopping and turning but good control driving in this type of snow. Conti tires were adequate but nothing like what a snow tire would be.
I have driven the OB is the super soft sand in Florida and it did well now the super wet snow which also did well which is what we would all expect.
Here is the back porch rail with about 1/2 the snow received.
Cheers and nice to test this out...

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,129 Posts
We got a bit of that snow in Gettysburg where I spend Christmas. We only got about 5", but that is the deepest snow we've gotten since I bought the Outback. It did really well on the GY TripleTreds. A little but of understeer if I took a turn too quickly, but a little throttle brought it right back into shape. I could accelerate just about as fast as the 2.5 could handle without any slippage. Like you, the only real issue was stopping and turning. If the snow really turns on here, I'll throw my mounted snow tires on.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
951 Posts
No action pictures of your cars?? WTH?!?!

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,129 Posts
No action shots. My I laws would really have thought I was crazy.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
I took mine out last night in 4-5 inches of wet new snow and tossed it around on back roads and parking lots. On pretense of testing the Michelin Defender tires, but fun too. It was stable, predictable, controllable, and forgiving with reasonable understeer (which I prefer to oversteer). ABS and all the other acronyms had a workout. Really good AWD software and hardware on the 3.6 '13 and the tires did great.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i CVT Black
10 Posts
We got around 10 inches of snow overnight..this is my first year with the Subie and wow what a difference from just front wheel drive. On the way home from work there were at least 5 cars off in the ditch, one sideways on the trees...and I just cruised by the ambulances, fire trucks, police and tow trucks at a moderate speed.
You can tell this is the first major snow storm by all the accidents..and only because they have the need for speed!
Happy cruising :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
We got around 10 inches of snow overnight..this is my first year with the Subie and wow what a difference from just front wheel drive. On the way home from work there were at least 5 cars off in the ditch, one sideways on the trees...and I just cruised by the ambulances, fire trucks, police and tow trucks at a moderate speed.
You can tell this is the first major snow storm by all the accidents..and only because they have the need for speed!
Happy cruising :)
True! People in Central NY just can't slow down. What a PITA they are.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,676 Posts
Ohio where I am currently for one more day got 8-10" of the really heavy wet snow that is ultra slippery. I drove the OB around when only 4WDs or AWDs were mostly out. I could hardly get the traction control light to come on. Still need to be careful stopping and turning but good control driving in this type of snow. Conti tires were adequate but nothing like what a snow tire would be.
I have driven the OB is the super soft sand in Florida and it did well now the super wet snow which also did well which is what we would all expect.
Here is the back porch rail with about 1/2 the snow received.
Cheers and nice to test this out...
...want the traction control light to come on? Put the car into a good...controlled sideway spin...it will come on in a hurry. Even if you turn the traction control off, over a certain speed it will still kick in....I know, I've tried it many times.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
You guys shouldn't be so shy in posting pictures of your rides in the snow. Some of us are snow deprived, you know!

·
Registered
2012 Outback Limited 2.5 CVT Deep Indigo Pearl
9 Posts
Took our first subie out to play in the almost 30 inches we got in the last few days . This was our first REAL test so we went out in the blizzard . Drove unplowed backroads out in the country up here around the ST Lawrence River . PUT it into several panic stops ,couldnt be more happy with the response. Drove it on glare ice today on back roads along a small river and traction was awesome . As downhill skiers we are GLAD we bought this outback " We drove Saabs for 2o years had 4 of them BUT we really like this OB much better .

·
Registered
2002 BMW 325i, 2007 SS Trailblazer, 2012 Acura TSX Wagon
98 Posts
Somewhat off topic.....saw a solo car spinout today. 13 Outback hit the wall in light rain at 60mph. Happened right in front of us. Guy was ok. Outback? Not so much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts