Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outback
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Most everything I see is for restoring black plastic such as Back To Black. My car is new. Do you use anything to dress the plastic? Something to prevent fading?

I’m guessing the stuff I’ve seen will work, but it’s not marketed that way.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,248 Posts

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
I just use duragloss no rinse car wash to clean it (has some sort of polymer protectant in it)... can even mix some up in a spray bottle to get a little more on there... once done, wipe it with ultima paint guard plus (doesn't take much). Ultima stuff is expensive, but a bottle lasts a long time. Tried some other waxes/sealants, they leave streaks on the black plastic bits.

·
Registered
2015 Premium 2.5, Motegi MR118 wheels, Curt 2" hitch receiver, Yakima 2" Dr. Tray 3x bike rack
52 Posts
I used Rust Oleum Wipe New this summer and was super happy with it. I didn't realize how faded the plastic had been looking on my 15. I completely forgot to come here and mention that, so I'm glad to see your thread and remind me. One bottle was enough.

·
Premium Member
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
633 Posts
Recently switched to 303. It did a great job on a badly faded black rear bumper protector. Took three coats to restore the original appearance. Seems to last a long time. I liked it so much I bought a gallon jug.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Limited
125 Posts
Most everything I see is for restoring black plastic such as Back To Black. My car is new. Do you use anything to dress the plastic? Something to prevent fading?

I’m guessing the stuff I’ve seen will work, but it’s not marketed that way.
I have tried all sorts of things on the black on my 18 OB LTD. What I finally found that does a fantastic job and lasts is Turtle Wax ICE paste wax. I do the whole car with this including the black...other than the roof rails and the rough black skid on top of the rear bumper...for those I use the Turtle Wax Ice spray wax on an applicator pad and rub it in and buff with an old t-shirt.......has done a fantastic job and keep the plastic black even when the car is dirty...doesnt fade off like armour all was doing....

·
Registered
2019 Outback
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mothers suggested this for plastic, paint, and wheels. Good for 6-12 months.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl
29 Posts
One more for 303, turned my faded Wrangler fenders back to stock look and doesn't attract dust like some other protectants do.
YMMV

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,248 Posts
One more for 303, turned my faded Wrangler fenders back to stock look and doesn't attract dust like some other protectants do.
YMMV
I use 303 on my interior. Great stuff. In my experience 303 does not last long exposure to water. Especially rubber tires. Other products work better.

·
Premium Member
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
633 Posts
What do you like to use on tires?

·
Registered
2019 Outback
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’ve always been a foam fan back in my tuner days. I haven’t cared about my car in about a decade. Now I have something nice again. I love been using foam, but might switch to a liquid after this can is gone. I like tires black. Not shiny greasy.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
There are so many products. Do you like Shiny of mat? I switch brands often. Key is to clean the tires well before using tire shine.

Reactions: SubyDubie

·
Registered
2019 Outback
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I feel silly cleaning these tires so well. But when you drive a mall crawler.... ?

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5i Limited
142 Posts
I'm another user of 303 Aerospace products. Particularly 303 Automotive Protectant. It's protects against UV rays which are the number one cause of damage to plastic, rubber, and vinyl automotive components that are exposed to the sun. 303 products are also free of petroleum distillates which also cause rubber to dry out and deteriorate. I've used 303 products for years on everything from cars, to RVs, to tractor trailers. It's also highly recommended for marine use.

·
Registered
2019 Outback
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 34 Posts