Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i was wondering if someone could help me find a good after-market navigation system with at the bits and bobs (features) for a 2011 model outback.

preferably cheap and comes with an install guide.(i've never done this before so something for idiots {me})

i found this online but was wondering if it would work and how (need a harness or ...?)

Sony XAV-AX100

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
This thread is probably the definitive one on a car stereo installation on a gen 4 outback.
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-2014/33673-taiguy-s-car-stereo-install-log.html

Of course, in case you didn't know, Crutchfield is also a great resource and a decent place to buy your stuff. If you buy from them it will include detailed installation instructions.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-FcbvEwRknwh/learn/2010-2014-subaru-outback.html

These always intrigue me, but I don't know about the quality:
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20171113085333&SearchText=2011+outback+gps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This thread is probably the definitive one on a car stereo installation on a gen 4 outback. (cant post URL for some reason)
I saw that one, it looks like a really good and detailed guide for stereo installation, but i was looking for more of a dash board system (Ex. double din Nav system)

Of course, in case you didn't know, Crutchfield is also a great resource and a decent place to buy your stuff. If you buy from them it will include detailed installation instructions.
Why dont they sell any "specific parts" (nav systems) that are double din?

Edit: found it just had to look

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry i didnt see that there were more pages which do explain it, with pictures. Do you know if there is a video on it?

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
487 Posts
There are a pile of Chinese soured models available, of which several get great reviews on Youtube, especially the Android based units. Quite a few don't mention having Sirius/XM as an option, nor do most come with a new facia, so are worthless to those of us with the factory Nav. (I would love to pop in one of the 10.x inch setups, preferably the vertical one they have now and then, if I knew it would wire up in place of the factory Kenwood Nav unit).

If you haven't played with one of the new Android Auto/Apple Car Play head-units that they're installing in the Crosstrek and now the 2018 Outback, swing by and play with one.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Limited
24 Posts
I have a Rosen system in our 2011 Limited. The Subaru dealer took the car to the Rosen dealer in Scottsdale and they installed it. The system works seamlessly with the Harmon-Kardon stereo and works OK with the wife's iPhone. Her biggest complaint is that her phone usually won't automatically connect when she starts the car and she has to manually tell it to connect. The phone is paired but for some strange reason doesn't want to connect on start-up. The installation was clean and looks like a factory job except for the little GPS antenna sitting on top of the dashboard.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
449 Posts
My Magellan does fine by me and was easy to install.

Suction cup and accessory plug in! Plus it fits all models and all years!

Reactions: FLWhite*17

·
Registered
1 Posts
Search Aliexpress for "outback android". There are units there that look stock, and are essentially android tablets with radios built in.

I put one in several years ago. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
487 Posts
Search Aliexpress for "outback android". There are units there that look stock, and are essentially android tablets with radios built in.

I put one in several years ago. Works like a charm.
There's a 10 inch vertical unit I'd love to install, that even comes with the bezel. Not too bad price wise at between $300-$400, and supposed to work with the steering wheel controls. There are two hold-backs on pulling that trigger, the first is it doesn't list SXM anywhere, and doesn't appear to mate to the factory receiver. The second is you appear to lose the DVD/CD drive, and my wife has CDs she likes to pop in now and then, when she's with me.

The only other question is if it will work with the factory backup camera, or would I need to wire in a 12v aftermarket unit. (The factory camera is designed to work on 6v, supplied by the factory head-unit - everybody else seems to use 12v).

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,647 Posts
The in dash Navi on my Outback is crap! The maps can’t be updated...well...for a price they can...I went and bought a garmin 2689lmt to put on my dash...that’s the best solution..:smile2: it can be put in any vehicle you want

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Limited
7 Posts
I'm having issues getting updates for the factory system in my OB as well - bloody irritating as the navigation/audio in this car is one of the only things I don't like about it, so I'm watching with interest.

I guess the main consideration for me is if its worth the money - at the moment I just have a mount for my iPhone and use google maps which I prefer over the factory fitted rubbish - but its untidy as you need to charge the phone as well......

Such a shame Subaru didn't manage to get their s**t in one sock on this...... are the current models the same?

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
359 Posts
i'm having issues getting updates for the factory system in my ob as well - bloody irritating as the navigation/audio in this car is one of the only things i don't like about it, so i'm watching with interest.

I guess the main consideration for me is if its worth the money - at the moment i just have a mount for my iphone and use google maps which i prefer over the factory fitted rubbish - but its untidy as you need to charge the phone as well......

Such a shame subaru didn't manage to get their s**t in one sock on this...... Are the current models the same?
yes!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts