Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has a small coolant leak in her '13 Elantra that we have been monitoring loosely. She called me from the expressway a day ago saying the temp gauge was pegged. Told her to get off next exit and sit for a while. This had never happened before. She had a partial gallon of premix in the trunk so we added that while I found the nearest pats store (fortunately only 3 doors down...). Got 2 gallons and used part of one. Anyway got home OK and checked levels again that night and next morning. Seemed to be holding, but I told her she needed to see someone ASAP if this was a catastrophic failure of a gasket/hose/rad or what. She's about 50 miles away from me, otherwise I'd be on my back in the driveway. She made an appointment at the nearest dealer for diag.

This is what the dealer recommended. $776 to replace a heater hose and coolant.

I looked up the "bypass heater hose" on Rockauto and it was $12. 2 gal. Coolant about $40. And how many hours labor? Yet only $110 more in labor to do everything else. So GD angry that they wanted to take advantage of my girl. This is Hyundai in Lincolnwood (Chicago). DEF NOT RECOMMENDED. /rant

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,490 Posts
To be fair you're looking at an aftermarket part not an OEM one.

A Subaru dealer would do the same thing.

A dealer is going to install a factory part not an aftermarket one. A large number of independent shops won't even install aftermarket parts either.

I'm sure an OEM bypass hose is closer to $60 than $12.

But where they're getting 6+ hours of labor to install a hose and bleed/burp a coolant system is beyond me.

·
Registered
2013 Impreza Sport, 2003 Toyota Highlander 3.0 FWD, 2009 Outback XT Limited 5MT - R.I.P.
377 Posts
I always get a kick out of seeing what shops charge to replace the cabin and air filters.

?‍♂

We did the same thing in the HVAC business, though, and people always paid.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand OE parts and such. Just because she was a woman. She broke an exhaust flange, dealer quoted her $1500. Local shop welded it for $40. A-holes.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Touring 2.5
122 Posts
Why not contact the service manager and give them a chance to correct their"mistake" Might ask waht the book labor is?

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
257 Posts
Why not contact the service manager and give them a chance to correct their"mistake" Might ask waht the book labor is?
Screw that. They had their chance to be honest and they clearly are trying to take advantage.

Take your business elsewhere, and give them a bad review on the Google and wherever else you can.
That's BS.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I always get a kick out of seeing what shops charge to replace the cabin and air filters.

?‍♂

We did the same thing in the HVAC business, though, and people always paid.
And there is no shortage of folks willing to pay a dealership for those services.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My kid had a broken strut mount in her Mazda 3 (pot metal junky $40 part.. 2 bolts, one nut..20 minutes) and lived 150 miles away.. I called the local Monroe shop in Corning NY..asked them to change both mounts...and put struts in if they couldn't get the top nut off( I knew it would "need" struts if they did it... But they were just fine..but knew this could be a cost of having a shop do it)...$600+ later... 2 struts with mounts ( now literary 3 bolts per side...all new parts..it's not a coilover..) . I was ok with that...if you can't do it yourself..ya gotta pay extra sometimes.
She went back month later for an inspection TELLS THEM there is a clunking noise in the back where they just did work... They never looked ( car was never on lift) two weeks later my 22 yr old daughter calls me from the mountains of Pennsylvania hiking/camping... To tell me there's something hanging..then sends me a photo of the brand new strut in her hand after I asked her for photos.
I call the shop..explain that a part they put in literally fell out...AND that my kid told them to look and they didn't...they passed a car that should have failed inspection..and never did the inspection to NY law..as a wheel does have to come off...they said bring it back they put all new, no charge.
She drove it to them and dropped it off for 4 days...
Next time she came home.. I looked at it...just to check to find a grade 8, 3/8 bolt with a lockwasher (no flat washer..nothing to keep the rubber bushing in place on the metal bushing) she mentioned that the guy said he used a "special bolt".
The Mazda bolt is a Metric grade 10.8, 12mm bolt with a shoulder... It cost $11, and the large square retainer washer $4...OEM parts totalled 14$
Called the shop..the manager said he fired the guy who did the work (bullsh!t).. I said money back...he said no but 3 free oil changes... I said " do you think I'll let you touch my kids engine? You can't take 3 bolts out and put them back correctly...
Got temporary 12mm bolt and large washer from TSC and used that till the Mazda Parts arrived.
These people are everywhere... It should be a crime... fraud... To charge 100$ an hour as. "professional"...the do baler wire and coffee can type fixes...
My kid asked me to drop it as she didn't want to go back to that shop.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,770 Posts
what kind of elantra tires cost $1300 installed? and how about reporting them to Hyundai USA ?

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
678 Posts
due to weather I had the local shop change both of my at cooler lines that go from the aux cooler to the rad. total cost including labor was $110, $30 for Subaru parts and $80 for their time.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what kind of elantra tires cost $1300 installed? and how about reporting them to Hyundai USA ?
Round ones, probably. And good idea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts