Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to control a 12v switched accessory using a stock location and preferably a stock switch, too. Looking at the driver control panel to the left of the steering wheel, I know the yellow circle is for the folding mirror button. What are the red and blue blanks normally used for, i.e. what switches could I install there, and would they work for 12v ACC switched power?

Thanks,
-R

·
Registered
2012 Outback prem, CVT - graphite gray
6 Posts
The blue is for the trunk popper on the legacy. I'm pretty sure I saw a base model that had a fog light switch in the yellow location.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
A quick google search shows this from cars101

Trunk release and fog lights as mentioned above... still not sure about the other one.

I looks like another roller switch like the brightness.. maybe headlight adjustment or dccd?

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
IIRC the outer/red switch position is for Euro spec Headlamp Range Adjuster (HRA), which adjusts the vertical HL angle/range (for city/country driving).

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm interesting. Thanks for the responses, fellas. I saw in the Owner's Manual that the yellow circle could be for folding side mirrors, if equipped, but did not know that there could be a fog light button there on the base model.

Does anyone know what the back of the fog light switch looks like? Is it a wiring harness connection? Again, I'm looking for a simple 12v ACC switch that is stock looking..

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
The blank roller on the left (red circle) is for headlight angle adjustment required by law in the UK market on any car that can be used to tow with.

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
A quick google search shows this from cars101

Trunk release and fog lights as mentioned above... still not sure about the other one.

I looks like another roller switch like the brightness.. maybe headlight adjustment or dccd?
Here is a picture showing the folding mirror button.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the Premium and Limited trim levels that have fog lights as standard and therefore no fog light button, I'm wondering if the wire harness is still behind the panel piece.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
For the Premium and Limited trim levels that have fog lights as standard and therefore no fog light button, I'm wondering if the wire harness is still behind the panel piece.
That button is for rear fog lights in non-US markets. On Limited/Premium the fog light switch is on the turn signal stalk.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
That button is for rear fog lights in non-US markets. On Limited/Premium the fog light switch is on the turn signal stalk.
The image I linked is Joe Spitz, so it's a US car. I believe the button is there if you add OEM fog lights to a base model, as they aren't stock the stalk doesn't have a switch. Cheaper and easier than upgrading the stalk.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
... the button is there if you add OEM fog lights to a base model, as they aren't stock the stalk doesn't have a switch. Cheaper and easier than upgrading the stalk.
Correct.
Euro spec (cars) rear fogs are turned on via the same front fogs switch, and not a separate system.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked at the installation instructions for the OEM fog lights and the panel looks pretty easy to access. This weekend I'm going to pop it out and see if there is still a wiring harness for the fogs down there on the Premium model.

·
Registered
12 OB Prem
39 Posts
Driving Light Switch

I knocked out the blank for that dial knob and put in a driving light switch. It fits pretty good, and can be undone when it's all said and done. The switch has a thread and nut on the back, so it stays in place pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ Definitely a good place for an accessory switch, but I'm looking for a little more "stock" looking than that. I pulled out the panel this weekend and there is no additional factory wiring for fog lights on the Premium, which I guess makes sense since they're already hooked up to the turn signal stalk.

Next thought is the folding mirror hookup switch and how that connects. TBD.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited
65 Posts
Anyone know where I can source one of the stock fog light switches? I am not having much luck

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver
826 Posts
Why have rear fogs never caught here?
I think they make so much sense and they work so good.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,865 Posts
Some people on this forum have put one on their OB. I was going to do it this past summer but other thing shanghaied it...next summer for sure. :29:

·
Registered
'14 Outback 6MT
22 Posts
I'm wondering how to get those power folding mirrors! That would be sweet..... Along with the rear fog.... Anyone do a writeup on that?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Most of the country doesn't see enough dense fog to justify them. Also, it's hard enough to get idiots to turn on their headlights/taillights in fog. They'll never bother with a rear fog light....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts