Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 2" ADF Lift
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my 2016 Outback into the dealer after I put ADF 2 inch lift on to get it aligned.
It was WAY off when I brought it in and these are the results afterwards.

The car vibrates pretty bad at 13-20 mph. 0-12 and 21 up it drives smooth.

Is there anything I can do to help get the fronts more aligned? Camber kits?
Why would the right rear camber be off so much when the rear left is fine.

I'm over my head on alignment issues. I know very little of the process. Can anyone shed some light on these results so I can try to solve my vibration issues?

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,215 Posts
as per your pic there

this is some kind of 2016, outback.

vs. say a maserati, ...or a Yugo

see the link next to the question mark in my signature, please fill out the "your car" section with engine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as per your pic there

this is some kind of 2016, outback.

vs. say a maserati, ...or a Yugo

see the link next to the question mark in my signature, please fill out the "your car" section with engine.
Good point, sorry it's early and I haven't finished my coffee yet.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
Ok. This is pretty typical when you change the height of vehicle that is maxed out from the factory.

Anyway, with the rear like it is, this car is dangerous. The rear right has a ton of negative camber, it is pushing the *ss end to the left. The left rear has positive camber, so that side is not fighting against the push, it's following it.

The front :

Camber bolts (additional or added) and these are somewhat generic per application with the major differences being the amount of adjustment desired. I added a 1*deg in place of the solid lower bolt on my front strut on Frankie. I left the stock cam bolt in the top. Or I could have purchased a 2-1/2* cam bolt and just used it up top. If you follow me.

You can also have the strut tower mounting holes elongated to gain the adjustment at the top, like a camber plate.

Rear:

#1 Does you kit have the rear subframe drop as part of the lift? Dropping the rear subframe is critical to keep reasonable alignment specs and reduce drive line vibration.

2nd, Subaru rear ends have (1), yes that right, (1) adjustment bolt per-side for the rear. It does both camber and toe. Toe is far more important and the alignment techs will set that as best they can and you are left with the resulting camber. Whatever it is. I know there are adjustable arms available for this car and I would hope that Whiteline makes a rear upper control arm camber kit by now.

You need to add a second adjustment point for the rear. I am not sure weather or not anyone sells a rear cam bolt with more adjustment.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. This is pretty typical when you change the height of vehicle that is maxed out from the factory.

Anyway, with the rear like it is, this car is dangerous. The rear right has a ton of negative camber, it is pushing the *ss end to the left. The left rear positive camber, so that side is not fighting against the push, it's following.

The front :

Camber bolts (additional or added) and these are somewhat generic per application with the major differences being the amount of adjustment desired. I added a 1*deg in place of the solid lower bolt on my front strut on Frankie. I left the stock cam bolt in the top. Or I could have purchased a 2-1/2* cam bolt and just used it up top. If you follow me.

You can also have the strut tower mounting holes elongated to gain the adjustment at the top, like a camber plate.

Rear:

#1 Does you kit have the rear subframe drop as part of the lift? Dropping the rear subframe is critical to keep reasonable alignment specs and reduce drive line vibration.

2nd, Subaru rear ends have (1), yes that right, (1) adjustment bolt per-side for the rear. It does both camber and toe. Toe is far more important and the alignment techs will set that as best they can and you are left with the resulting camber. Whatever it is. I know there are adjustable arms available for this car and I would hope that Whiteline makes a rear upper control arm camber kit by now.

You need to add a second adjustment point for the rear. I am not sure weather or not anyone sells a rear cam bolt with more adjustment.
Thanks for the input

Front:
Where should I start looking for these cam bolts? I found this last night, but it looks like i have some more research to do today.

https://www.carid.com/moog/front-lo...pn-k90474.html?singleid=77964334&url=81786324

Would this do the trick? https://www.carid.com/specialty-pro...pn-81260.html?singleid=445076715&url=81786324

I did get the sub frame drop but initially screwed it up by leaving the factory spacers on because i was following an old installation guide. I drove it about 15 miles and I'm sure that didn't do anything good for the alignment.
When I took them back off, I supported the differential with a jack and took them all off at once and hand tightened each bolt and tried to let it square it self back up. (if that makes sense?) from the guide... "Snug them down (Do not fully tighten yet). Then move to the rear. Hold up the cross brace in the rear, push the bolt with 4 washers through the bracket and into the rear subframe spacers. Install the same washer, lock washer then nut. Do not tighten everything until it is all installed and squared up At this point you can tighten down all 4 bolts, and the front subframe bracket bolts."
Don't know if this mistake could be the cause of my issues or not but thought i'd mention it.

looks like the rear upper control arm camber kit the possible solution to that issue?
https://www.carid.com/specialty-pro...mpn-67660.html?singleid=82332701&url=81786324 ??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So... I'm an idiot and this is embarrassing. I installed the front strut lifts on the wrong sides.............

That explains the Awful initial alignment results, and why they couldn't align it afterwards.

Will correcting that help the right rear camber at all?

·
Master Caster
16,120 Posts
Both of those cam bolts are similar to what I have. The rear arm looks to be a fine (OEM) style solution.

Thank you for the rear subframe information.

The rear end is not square. When this "squaring up" is done while ( hand tight/loose) is where your lopsided problem is from. When this done. I am sure you want to be on an "salt flat" piece of pavement. 1/4" worth of wheel drop is going to get things ****-eyed ... Not @eagleeye 'd

I still think the rear arms are good idea even if you square up the back.

·
Master Caster
16,120 Posts
So... I'm an idiot and this is embarrassing. I installed the front strut lifts on the wrong sides.............

That explains the Awful initial alignment results, and why they couldn't align it afterwards.

Are these strut spacers tapered at all? Or are the eccentric? Left and right would only matter if these spacers are tapered or off-set to correct such things. If this is the case, it will help the front.

The rear is a separate issue.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are these strut spacers tapered at all? Or are the eccentric? Left and right would only matter if these spacers are tapered or off-set to correct such things. If this is the case, it will help the front.

The rear is a separate issue.
https://andersondesign-fab.com/product/2015-2018-outback-2-strut-spacers-w-multi-link-spacers/

This is the kit I got and yeah they are tapered with a left and a right side. I remember exactly when i switched them too, just wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. Oh well, at least i figured it out and can fix it.

So my issues with the rear are due to the subframe drop? The pavement i did this on was not overly flat. Are you suggesting to drop it back down and realign on flat surface?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,215 Posts

a couple months back I saw a 67 camaro with rear disc brakes installed. ...problem, someone installed the calipers upside down, backwards, and on the wrong sides.

they did work,...just needed someone else to install them again for the new owner. ...fronts were also discs and installed correctly.

(did not get a pic of it).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The front are side and direction specific but the rear spacers are not.
Thanks, there is very little of this lift install that I didn't **** up. I did get them in the right direction though!

·
Master Caster
16,120 Posts
So my issues with the rear are due to the subframe drop? The pavement i did this on was not overly flat. Are you suggesting to drop it back down and realign on flat surface?
Yes. Flattest piece of glass you can find. And that means what the front is on as well. (4) wheels on as flat as possible. And I would not trust it "squaring up". I would be running strings and measuring lengths off of reference points.

If it were me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts