Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Costco recommends Bridgestone ECOPIA H/L 422 Plus.
Is it a good choice in terms of driving manners, gas milage, etc? Any suggestion appreciated.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Numerous tire threads can be found here, and in the tire subforum. Lots of opinions which, personally, I don't find particularly useful. If you'd like something a bit more authoritative, I'd suggest looking up your options on tirerack.com, particularly tires that have gone through their "instrumented testing". Looks like the Ecopias are relatively new, as they have very few ratings and no test results, so I would steer clear - plenty of other options in that price range.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I have to make that decision today, since one of our tires has a nail in the sidewall. The tires have 7/32" tread left, but the new one will have 11/32", so I have to replace all four. Fortunately I purchased the road hazard warranty from Discount Tire on the tires when I bought the Outback, so I will get one free tire and a pro-rated amount for the remaining 3 good tires.

I am going with the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady since they come with two rebates totalling $160. I do not go off-road with the Outback, so the lack of an aggressive tread will not matter to me. My other choice was the Continental CrossContact L25.

They have great reviews on Tirerack.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would advise against Michelin Premier LTX if you were considering them.

I only got 26K miles from mine even with fastidious attention to pressure and rotation.

Treads failed completely and started flaking off wholesale.

Just replaced with Goodyear Eagle Sport, but too early to give any feedback on them.

Jason

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I went with the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady. They look aggressive enough that I am going to sell my extra set of wheels and snow tires in September. Brand new 2018 Outback Limited wheels with Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires. BTW, Discount Tire broke a stud. Those Subaru studs are stupid soft and weak.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I went with the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady. They look aggressive enough that I am going to sell my extra set of wheels and snow tires in September. Brand new 2018 Outback Limited wheels with Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires. BTW, Discount Tire broke a stud. Those Subaru studs are stupid soft and weak.
The WORST snow tires I have ever had were some aggressive-looking Yokohama tires on a Jeep Cherokee. Good snow tires can look like street tires or like aggressive mudslingers. Looks just don't matter for snow/ice performance.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I would advise against Michelin Premier LTX if you were considering them.

I only got 26K miles from mine even with fastidious attention to pressure and rotation.

Treads failed completely and started flaking off wholesale.

Just replaced with Goodyear Eagle Sport, but too early to give any feedback on them.

Jason
I would like to highlight, the Michelin Premier LTX is not the same as the Michelin XLT A/S. I have had the XLT A/S on my 2002 Ford Escape for 40k miles and the tread is still good. Further, those tires are still solid snow/ice performers. However, I am not sure if Michelin makes the XLT A/S anymore.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have to make that decision today, since one of our tires has a nail in the sidewall. The tires have 7/32" tread left, but the new one will have 11/32", so I have to replace all four.
Why not have one new tire shaved down?

There is so much serviceable life left on the other three. TireRack can probably provide you a replacement, shaved in one day or two. Maybe even a local shop.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Why not have one new tire shaved down?

There is so much serviceable life left on the other three. TireRack can probably provide you a replacement, shaved in one day or two. Maybe even a local shop.
I did not want to deal with the shaving of tires.. I got one free tire because of the hazard warranty and also got a $160 rebate from Goodyear/Discount Tire for 4 tires.

I won't sell the winter tire until I see how these new ones perform in the early winter, specifically if they will get up my north facing driveway.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have 21k on my OEM 18 OB Ltd tires and they still have some life in them although I am starting to hear the wear bars on braking. I was considering replacing with Michelin but really didnt want to spend that much on tires......a friend of mine got a set of General Altimax for his 18 WRX as all season and loves them....so I looked those up and can get them at Sams Club or Tire Rack for $131 a tire.....they have a 65k warranty for the H rated tires....so right now that is they tire I am leaning towards for the replacement.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Both of the Michelin Premier models (LTX and A/S) are excellent tires, but both also suffer from poor treadlife (I've had both). But, that's what the 60k mile treadlife warranty is for. The Altimax is a decent tire, but much more prone to failure from what I've read (particularly sidewall bubbles). I'll happily pay the extra couple hundred because reliability is my priority, and I've never had more reliable tires than Michelins.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Both of the Michelin Premier models (LTX and A/S) are excellent tires, but both also suffer from poor treadlife (I've had both). But, that's what the 60k mile treadlife warranty is for. The Altimax is a decent tire, but much more prone to failure from what I've read (particularly sidewall bubbles). I'll happily pay the extra couple hundred because reliability is my priority, and I've never had more reliable tires than Michelins.
Another highlight, my Michelins say “XLT A/S”, not “LTX” or “LTX A/S”. I am going to say these tires are all different, because a tire maker obviously would not just accidentally switch the letters around. But that is stupid of them to make the letters so similar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We replaced ours with Nexen. Did alot of research and it paid off. These are the quietest tires I have ever owned. Bought them from tirerack, shipped them free to firestone near me and paid about 70 to install and balance all for tires.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My wife's 2016 forester XT has 18's. I just put Yokohama Ascend GTs on it and I like them a lot.
I'm getting the Yokohama's on my wife's 2017 OB 3.6. That's what our Stealership pushes, they are 80k mile tires and ride very nice/quiet, I got them on my 2011 OB now. They offer them at "cost", so it's not too bad of a deal after install. I tell you what, my OEM Continetals are already loud as heck, the car only has 41k. Starting to sound like BigFoot rolling down the road. I guess the factory tires might also be just like the factory battery ; a cost savings by Subaru on a wear-and-tear item.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
The WORST snow tires I have ever had were some aggressive-looking Yokohama tires on a Jeep Cherokee. Good snow tires can look like street tires or like aggressive mudslingers. Looks just don't matter for snow/ice performance.
The Goodyear tires I purchased are highly rated for snow/ice. We will see soon enough.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
The Goodyear tires I purchased are highly rated for snow/ice. We will see soon enough.
Your Goodyear tires will probably be outstanding performers on snow/ice. My aggressive-looking Yokohama tires were placed on my Jeep before the Internet was a thing. At the time, I was ignorant enough to think a more aggressive-looking tread is automatically better on snow/ice. It was like driving on hockey pucks.

I positive thing is that I learned how to drive well in snow/ice on those tires. If somebody learns how to drive on snow by using an Outback with good snow tires, the downside is the person never full learns how treacherous snow/ice can be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Appreciate all your responses. I ended up getting Michelin LTX. I like the ride. It's smooth and quiet. Stock tires (Bridgestone) replaced had about 50,000 miles in a little under two years. Will see if LTX holds well in the long run.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I have 21k on my OEM 18 OB Ltd tires and they still have some life in them although I am starting to hear the wear bars on braking. I was considering replacing with Michelin but really didnt want to spend that much on tires......a friend of mine got a set of General Altimax for his 18 WRX as all season and loves them....so I looked those up and can get them at Sams Club or Tire Rack for $131 a tire.....they have a 65k warranty for the H rated tires....so right now that is they tire I am leaning towards for the replacement.
How do you "hear" the wear bars when braking? at 21,000 mile the OE tires should have 6 to 7/32 of tread depth. Wear bars are at 2/32.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts