Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got into a bit of reminiscing about my second Subie/first BRAT back in the early 80's, and thought it would be fun to here about all of the feats of our mighty Subarus.

Here is my BRAT:
-top speed 105mph in NV
-line from "Smokey and the Bandit" "Are you really doing 110?!" I picked up a hitch hiker and was running 75mph very smooth I might add.
-towed a 16ft ski boat over Echo Summit(7500ft) near Lake Tahoe and Spooner Summit(7400ft) near Carson City for 1 1/2 years.
-Cousin (215lb), his girl friend (105lb wet), and me (185lb), accelerated up I-205 East out of San Jose towards I-5 from 60mph at the bottom to 95mph at the summit, up to 105mph where life is unsettling.
-in IL for school I was extremely stupid and tried to cut a 90 degree turn at 90mph, I tell ya what, sideways at 90 is hair raising, and a shear miracle that the BRAT didn't flip down the road for a mile.

During this time('83-'87) I saw how intimidated drivers of bigger cars are of little Subarus. Just passing by them then they have to pass you back.

Well, it is a good thing that God had other plans for me. I would have missed out on my wife and kids and this great board.

·
Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, it is a wonder that I am passing Eng. Comp. 2 right now after looking at my last post.

Don't any of you have crazy near death experiences with your Subes?

Here is another one. Again, mid-80's with the first BRAT towing the boat back to Nevada. Just coming down Echo Summit (7500ft) into Lake Tahoe Basin (6500ft) my speed is creeping up quickly, when I apply the brakes a bit to slow for the curves recommended 35 mph limit, guess what happens. Well, those puny BRAT brakes begin to lock on the curve. The sand left over from winter started me jack-knifing toward the "short" wall keeping me out of Christmas Valley (no joke, that is the name) some 1000 ft down. I let off the brakes and we begin to gather more speed. Finally a straight stretch of road appears allowing the braking to get serious. Well, the seat somehow stayed dry, and the BRAT lived another day as we came down off the mountain just a little bit slower.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2005 Ford Ranger
350 Posts
Great stories! This is my first Subaru so I don't have too many tales to tell yet. I was working on a hydrogeological study in a land fill last year and had a chance to test out my AWD. Landfills are really nasty as far as mud goes. A coworker got his Dodge Ram rental stuck and suggested that I turn back. I pulled up next to him, stopped and grinned, and drove right past. You should have seen the look on his face. Priceless! :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
In the winter 97/98 I pulled out a Mitsubishi L200 Pickup wich got stuck on the side of the road, while trying to go into the field.
We came along with our brand new 97 Outback. We stopped and he asked if we can take him to his house to get a tractor.
I asked I we should pull him out, but he looked at the outback and laughed.
I laughed too, took a rope and attached it to the truck. I told him to start his thing and put into reverse.

Very slowly I pulled him out with a big grin. :D :D
With some lame excuses, he tried to make it not look to worse for him, like everyone would have got stuck there or any car could have pulled him out :rolleyes:. Yeah right...

greetings
Arne

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
I have gotten stuck only once in the OB. It was in snow season, on a side street, in about 10 inches of snow that was not virgin snow but snowplow piles. I thought I could punch through it, without knowing how dense it was, and I heard the raspy scrape on the bottom of the car, and quit moving.

Next, a guy pulls up in a Buick Century and offers to help. So he pushes me (using the Buick) far enough to free my car, but he got stuck. So I pushed his car clear, too, and we both went on our ways without ever using any rope or strap. We never even introduced ourselves to each other.

...guy thing

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
Other than my usual story of the 85 year old lady T-Boning my '94 Legacy Wagon I don't really have many adventure stories.

Similarly to the Lizard, I managed to get my '97 Outback stuck just a few months ago. I was running late to catch a Henry Rollins spoken word performance at the Rochester Institute of Technology in early February. We had gotten 63 inches of snow all in January, and none of it had really gone away...

All of the parking spaces were taken. I saw a snow bank at the end of one parking lot that had a tiny snow-covered space to its right. I decided to make that "Subaru Parking." I slammed into the snow bank and wrenched my wheel to the left to try to swing my back end around. It worked...a little too well. I managed to get myself in the spot nice and tight, but when I went to get out, I moved about 3 feet then got stuck. The 2 front wheels and right rear wheel were all completely buried in the snow, the left rear was actually on the parking lot, but it was situated directly over a spot of ice! I imagine if it had been dry pavement it probably could've helped to pull me out of that mess. Unfortunately AWD doesn't help too much when all the wheels are spinning in deep icy snow.

AAA came by with a big truck and pulled me out. At least I found the limits of my car. And I made it to the show on time...AND I made a great spot for myself...AND I lied to the campus police and told them I "accidentally slid" into the spot so they didn't give me a ticket. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts