Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 outback 2.5i
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, i am new to your site and like you, ive been having leaky head gaskets for a while now.

My car let out the classic anti freeze and oil smell ever since its had 70,000 miles but i never found one shred of evidence that it was leaking, except for the occasional adding oil to the engine, never anti freeze until it had 104,000 on it.

Anyhow, now it is leaking oil and coolant onto the passenger side cv joint, both front cv joints have busted boots, so its slinging that oil mostly down, but its still going on the exhaust and making smoke.

As uch as i love my car, i will never again have a subaru, i cant afford this every so often.

So id love to know, which brand of head gaskets and valve cover gaskets are best to delay this problem longest?

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
The mechanic that replaced the headgaskets on my Outback used Cometic MLS as replacements. He's done many of them and has never had a problem with them leaking again. I believe they are slightly thicker so the heads do require machining (which I would do either way). Oem gaskets were used to replace the other gaskets.

The headgasket problem is common, but once they are replaced using good replacement parts by an experienced mechanic they shouldn't fail after that. Also if you haven't already replaced the timing belt, idlers, & tensioner etc than now would be the time to do so.

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
There are a lot of posts on this topic on this and other subaru forums. In summary, the mechanics on the West coast, an area that has proportionally more subarus, either use the Six Star gasket or the Subaru turbo 642 gasket. For example, All Wheel Drive uses six star and General Dynamics uses the 642. Both are MLS type gaskets as is the Cosmetic mentioned above.

Of probably equal importance, is the skill of the mechanic. In general, I think that I can summarize the best technique include [1] to take the engine out of the car and [2] don't use a rotating device such as a "whiz" wheel to smooth the block. Machining the heads seems to be optional, some do, some don't. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts