Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 Outback is already up to 60,000 miles but has performed flawlessly. But my second car is a 2012 Impreza that I have never been totally happy with. It works great, but the 4-cylinder is underpowered and it is very noisy. I was thinking about possibly trading in the Impreza on a new Outback and becoming a two Outback family. What changes have been made that I would notice on the new OB from the one I already have?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
There are couple of very minor changes that I found that won't show up in any literature. They have no bearing on the operation of the car but are different.

A. The position of the auto headlights has changed when you twist the knob. On the 2011 auto is at full twist. On the 2013 the headlights are at full twist. I like the '13 better.

2. The Moonroof button/lever has been changed. On the 2011 the lever had a bump in the middle so you could easily feel it without looking up and deploy it with a bent finger/ knuckle. The '13 is virtually flat and recessed making it harder to find and pretty much requires the tip of your finger to deploy. I like the 2011 better.

Things you will notice:

The ride is firmer without harshness.

The acceleration curve is different making it feel faster from a dead start. When you first drive a '13 the gas pedal can feel twitchy/jumpy till you get used to it.

With the new CVT you might hear a bit more "whine" with it.

·
Premium Member
2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M
150 Posts
There is one major difference between the two cars. The 2011 has the EJ25 engine, which uses a timing belt. The 2013, OTOH, has the new FB25, first offered in the 2011 Forester. It has a timing chain, instead of a belt so that is one less thing to worry about with maintenance. The Oil Filter location has changed as well, to inside the engine bay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts