Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 2002 Subaru outback L.L. Bean, and I am having trouble finding a matching wheel for it. It has the factory 15 spoke wheels, and I bought 2 wheels, one from a junkyard, and one that is refinished, and they are both too dark of a gold. Maybe mine arent even gold for all I know. My wheels match my cladding. My question is what color are your wheels. I have attached a picture for you to see my issue. My wheel is the one with the black tire, not the dirty tire. The pic of the wheel on the car is one of my wheels as well. Im hoping someone else has had this problem and can help me out.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Tape them all off, buy some Grimmspeed gold wheel paint and spray the same areas so they are all the same gold? Simple $10 fix.

·
Registered
142 Posts
That gold color is darker than the gold color on my wheels. Maybe it has lightened up over the years do to UV exposure? I also think the gold on my rims is lighter than the cladding on the car.

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
hopefully they've all been flushed out but, i THINK there were some wheels around 2002 that were recalled. Probably not a huge concern unless a car went to the junkyard before the recall was performed.

something about holes drilled off-center.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All I know is this is driving me insane. I find it hard to believe all of my wheels faded that much. Especially since I found 2 that match, one newly refurbished and one from a junkyard. It's looking like I'm going to have to either buy a new set or get mine refinished just to have them all match. So is your wheel the same as mine? Much lighter than the new One I recieved? I wish mine were recalled them I'd get a new set and not have this problem.

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
I think ours ARE faded quite a bit.

But, would anyone else notice but you? Especially if you put the dark on one side and the lighter ones on the other?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone who looks at them in person finds it hard to believe they faded that much. I called Subaru they are going to get back to me. Its just I need the car back on the road and I am getting nowhere with this one.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I think those wheels are actually stock for all 2000-2004 Outbacks (not just the Beans) except for the 2004 L.L. Bean, which had the same wheels that the Bajas had, which is why mine came with these:

They have a hint of gold in places on them, but I'm almost positive it's just because they've aged and tarnished. I haven't looked really closely at the other wheels...could it be the same deal with them?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They werent stock for all, as most of the ones I see have a different design. I like those wheels you got on yours. Im either going to figure this mystery out and get a matching wheel, get mine refinished all the same, or get a new set of wheels.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You can pick up a set of base outback wheels, for like $100-$150 in decent shape it's pretty much H6/Beaner wheels without the gold little bar running between two spokes.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Never realized there were two types! I actually think the H4 wheel looks better now that I see the difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
jp1203
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing