Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 OBXT 5eat Navi in black
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying a new bike in the next month or two, and with that I'll also be looking into a better way of carrying it than throwing it in the back.

Problem is, I don't have the crossbars for my roof rack. I don't know if they normally come standard. What crossbars do people usually get? Should I head over to subarupartsforyou and order the OEM ones? Are there better aftermarket options?

I like the look of the Yakima Frontloader rack of the ones I've seen so far, if it makes a difference for what crossbars to pick.

·
Registered
98 Outback 2.5 Auto with a few mods here and there
6 Posts
Thule and Yakima make some great aftermarket crossbars and they attach to the factory roof rails. You can find them on craigslist for about 150-200 with attachments. I have Yakima bars with ski and bike racks that are interchangeable. They've never left me down!

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i
1,148 Posts
go with Thule or Yakima they are a much better product and they are lockable. The oem crossbars only need a T25(?) screw driver to remove with your bike attached.

·
Registered
2008 2.5i 5M
5 Posts
Been using the Subaru Branded Yakima towers and round bars for 5 years. They are strong and easy to put on and take off (I take them off whenever I am not hauling my canoe or kayaks). Much better than standard aero bars.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
For what it's worth I got a hitch carrier for mine. It's my preferred way to carry bikes in the OB.

However, the inside is free....

·
Registered
'13 Outback Premium 6MT
110 Posts
Craigslist and ebay are your friend when looking for Thule or Yakima stuff. I really like the way the Thule bars attach to the stock side rails but have been using the Yakima bars for 6 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts