Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are looking into buying a 2021 Subaru Outback Limited GT very soon. What dealerships in around Los Angeles and Orange Counties do you recommend we try or stay away from?

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5I Limited Tungsten with Ivory leather
177 Posts
I would also love to hear which have good service departments.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,521 Posts
I did a google search for "best California Subaru dealership" and it pointed me back to several old threads right here. After browsing those threads there's no clear consensus and the focus is mainly on pricing, but there is a common thread that there are two or three big "auto groups" that own multiple Subaru dealerships and they are generally unsavory and do a form of price-fixing. They tend to hide the fact that they're all part of these giant auto groups. Seems that there are very few independent dealerships left.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,390 Posts
McKenna in Huntington Beach has been good for me. There is a dealership closer to me but I drive to them. The two preventative maintenance services they provided met my expectations. The only concern was at the first service when they denied my request for the software upgrade from the 504 with notification at pickup. However, they offered the software upgrade at the next service check-in. They followed the cross tire rotations as requested and verified by me. I received my oil filter from my first oil change, exactly as I requested: in a provided sealed container. 2nd service they found a screw in a tire and made the location easily to find by marking the sidewall.

When shopping, I checked all dealerships within the OC/LA areas for pricing and response. I then narrowed it down to 3 dealerships and then had them provide the last and best price. I chose McKenna and then made the order and deposit followed by notification to the non-chosen. Ocean Fullerton did not care when I told them about my choice. Hawthorne's Costco-referred-manager said he would beat the price by a good amount and that I could get my deposit back. It went against my principals so no deal. When I told my salesperson about the other offer he put me into contact with his manager who made an adjustment in my price. Felt good about doing business with McKenna after that...

My recommendation is to do an online configuration to get exactly what you want priced out then go shopping. Send you configuration id code in an email to the dealerships in the area. Include contacts with the Costco New Car Program. Make an in person visit to the ones that meet your expectations but at least 3 different dealerships. By then you should know your next move.

McKenna has a good delivery area and procedures. There was some denial of upholstery wrinkles and made it very hard to get it documented. They added on wheel locks at no extra charge. I asked them not to punch the holes for the front plate mount and they followed the directions which included all the parts needed if I decided to do it later. I would purchase from McKenna again.

Stay away from? LA Puente was a real PIA. Prices were always over MSRP and the number of emails was overwhelming. This was a little over a year ago so things may have improved. Just don't give them your phone number but give them a chance in the first round.

Also, got an email coupon from SOA at the car shows at both LA and then later at Anaheim.

·
Registered
51 Posts
that really sucks to hear that silveronyx. its just the sign of the times. has been for quite some time actually. massive markups. all part of one giant auto group but pretending to be your neighboorhood dealer. not to mention they give you all these add on options that just make the price go up and up and up when you just want a simple car but really pressure you to take them.

·
Registered
2017 OB Limited - Ice Silver
186 Posts
I did a google search for "best California Subaru dealership" and it pointed me back to several old threads right here. After browsing those threads there's no clear consensus and the focus is mainly on pricing, but there is a common thread that there are two or three big "auto groups" that own multiple Subaru dealerships and they are generally unsavory and do a form of price-fixing. They tend to hide the fact that they're all part of these giant auto groups. Seems that there are very few independent dealerships left.
So I am not entirely certain on this, however Subaru of Sonora Subaru of Sonora | New 2021 & Used Subaru Dealership | Sonora, CA, I dont think that they are part of any large dealer groups based on the fact that they offer a 25 year power train warranty on all of their new cars... The downside is that you would have to drive to Sonora CA, to have any warranty work done. Not a bad deal sense Sonora is a really cool place to hang out.

Reactions: SilverOnyx
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.