Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited w/ Nav
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in finding out what things you did not want or need for your Outback but then changed your mind about. Although this probably applies to the purchase of new Outbacks, it may be useful to anyone. I will follow up with two items I did not need - and did not want to pay for - but got - and now I like them. I changed my mind.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited w/ Nav
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did not want puddle lights

I wanted some particular features and color and had the Outback shipped from another dealer. It came in with puddle lights. I recall telling the dealer that I was not a teenage boy and did not need or want the puddle lights. He told me that I would not pay for them (yeah, right...) so I bought it anyway.
They are very handy and light up the puddles (who would have thunk?) so I can avoid mud when getting in and out. I changed my mind.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited w/ Nav
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did not want heated seats

The heated seats evidently came with the Limited trim package. What an utter waste of money. There was no way to get the rest of the package and not pay for the heated seats. Oh well.
My wife loves the heated seats and I have even used them a couple of times. It makes her comfortable and happy. Although we live in Alabama and not in Idaho, it does help us get warm quickly with having dry air blowing in our eyes. I changed my mind.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
^ Heated seats are a must have in any cold climate - I'll never get a vehicle without them after having them in my last car.

OEM all-weather mats are kinda junk. They were included with the Popular Package #2 (which I did not want, and was able to negotiate to remove the cost off sale price), but will soon be replaced by Weathertech mats.

The main reason I did not want Popular Package #2 was because of the wheel arch moldings - I just didn't like the look of them. But they've grown on me (or I just don't notice them) and I understand the protection factor. But if they weren't for "free", I still probably wouldn't add them.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
a sunroof would have been nice. i wanted limited trim, the wife said i don't need it. now my aftermarket stereo is far superior to factory harmon kardon unit now, i have better seat covers(i hate leather, got neoprene) but it ended up costing me more. i probably should have gotten a 6 cylinder as well. i knew the factory nav was total ****, glad i didn't bother with that. however all that stuff wouldve added about $6k to the total price and my payment would go way up.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Bradze, most of that "leather" (on my 2013 OB) is not real leather! If I am not mistaken, only the hole-perforated center piece strip of so called "leather" seats is real leather...the rest is plastic/vinyl.... actually, there is a simple test to it (that I have learend in Italy many years ago) - put a butane lighter with flame on to the "leather" as see, if it catches fire. If it does, it's not a leather. If it does not, it's a real leather! LOL....

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
1. Puddle Lights
2. Lighted Sills
3. Remote Start
4. Heated Seats
5. Heated Mirrors

When I bought my 2011 I didn't care to have #4+5 but were standard on the Limited. I quickly came to love both. I would not have paid a nickle for the others.

I added the others on the 2013. :eek: .......I'm still contemplating the Wheel Arch Mouldings

·
Registered
150 Posts
My wife wanted the backup camera, and I got stuck paying for a moon roof which I didn't want. On a 3 hour trip down I95 it was really nice seeing the clouds and blue sky up above. Gave the interior a much more open feeling. The backup camera is also one of those things that I didn't care about. Now that I have it, I don't think I would get another car without it. If the moon roof starts leaking... I will retract the above statement.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
Rear View Camera

I thought my dealer was pulling the wool over my eyes when he said it came "standard" with the moonroof. I swore it was pointless and would never need it.

Now that I have used it, I am comtemplating adding one to my Forester and it is a "must have" for any mid-full size car in the future.

My past "never wanted, now won't do without out" are.

1.) Heated Seats
2.) Mirror Defoggers
3.) Windshield Deicer
4.) Sunroof

As I progressively got better cars that had these options "standard", I am now spoiled and won't do without them.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
Thought I'd get a Premium, got Ltd.

Got Eyesight.

Got silver after having white cars since 1984.

No regrets so far. I think you just might have to have some time in the EyeSight car to really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
My past "never wanted, now won't do without out" are.

1.) Heated Seats
2.) Mirror Defoggers
3.) Windshield Deicer
4.) Sunroof

As I progressively got better cars that had these options "standard", I am now spoiled and won't do without them.
I'm with you on everything except the sunroof - what advantages do you see having it, just wondering?

When shopping for the OB I was 100% against having that option because when I had the sunroof on my previous car: 1) I very rarely used it; 2) it added extra weight, raised the center of gravity, and lowered head clearance in the cabin (not really applicable to the OB, but it was on my past car); 3) when I did use it, it seemed to have no advantage for ventilation or airflow - it just made the cabin really loud; and, 4) it was just another thing waiting to break - and when it did, interior water damage was likely.

I'm not hating on the sunroof...just wondering what people like so much about them?

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
I ever planned to have this car. I kind of just fell into it. My first car spoiled me by having a sunroof, leather seats, driver information center, CD, keyless entry, power windows and locks. I didn't want to give any of that up. But I needed a car, and a friend of mine had this Outback that they weren't using... and gave me a deal I could not refuse. So I got my base model outback with AWP. I still have keyless entry, power windows, locks, and I have added leather seats. I really, really miss my sunroof though, and my driver information center.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
I'm with you on everything except the sunroof - what advantages do you see having it, just wondering?

When shopping for the OB I was 100% against having that option because when I had the sunroof on my previous car: 1) I very rarely used it; 2) it added extra weight, raised the center of gravity, and lowered head clearance in the cabin (not really applicable to the OB, but it was on my past car); 3) when I did use it, it seemed to have no advantage for ventilation or airflow - it just made the cabin really loud; and, 4) it was just another thing waiting to break - and when it did, interior water damage was likely.

I'm not hating on the sunroof..just wondering what people like so much about them?
In my old '95 Grand Prix my sunroof was always open if it wasn't raining... and sometimes if it was raining I would at least have it vented. I loved the amount of light it added to the cabin, I loved the feeling of openness and increased flow through ventilation it added when it was open. And finally, I liked that it gave the car a more expensive look when closed, and a sportier look when opened.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I agree with AO River - sunroof is an overkill in any climate zone! Not only it adds weight to the skeleton body as it has to be designed is such a way that it eliminates body flex, but it also compromises safety when you roll over. In hot climates with lots of sunshine, no matter how well it is insulated, it increases temp inside the car
Mine came with sun/moon roof as part of the package. My previous 2010 Forester as well as 2010 VW Tdi Wagon came with moon roof. I actually had to put a cardboard covered with aluminum cooking foil between the roof-liner and the glass moon roof to insulate the interior better. Window tinting companies would not put a dark film on it either - for liability reasons - not sure, what they would be liable for though...

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I regret choosing the sunroof, I never use the dang thing.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts

I'm not hating on the sunroof...just wondering what people like so much about them?
Diff'rnt strokes...

1.) I use it every sunny day above 65 degrees.

2.) It's not a track car. 100lbs isn't going to kill anything. It's an OB with 8.5" of clearance. It doesn't hurt that much. I'm 6'3" and have NEVER had clearance problems, even in my LGT. In my LGT it made the car seem more open. I seldom close the shade. It doesn't affect the center of gravity hardly at all, again it's not a track car.

3.) I'll agree to disagree. Yes it's louder, but I can tell fresh air is coming in and with some windows open it creates a great breeze.

4.) Meh, all options are something to break. 1,2, & 3 outweigh it.

I understand why some people dislike them. IMO they are the ideal compromise for people in fair climates where a convertible would just be wasted.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I understand why some people dislike them. IMO they are the ideal compromise for people in fair climates where a convertible would just be wasted.
That does make sense. In the northeast, unless you have a dedicated winter car I don't understand why anyone would buy a convertible - you can't use it for 10 months out of the year. But having a sunroof is middle ground, and you can probably use it on any 50+ degree day for some ventilation.

All valid points, sunroof is just not for me.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,865 Posts
...didn't need the GPS but had to get it with the other stuf we wanted. It has come in handy a few times though.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts