Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I considered a Forester. Had one before to enjoy but this time I wanted a little more room & comfort.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I swore off dodges after my ram but I was really considering a charger 392 scat pack. But I have a job where I have to show up in inclement weather so I opted for the practical choice. I really wouldn’t mind a wide body challenger either.

·
Registered
Subaru Outback Outdoor XT 2020
71 Posts
Coming from a Forester XT, I moved to the Outback to get higher towing capacity and a bit more luxury.

I also looked at some other cars but most suffer from a basic or poor AWD system and/or small ground clearance:

RAV4 hybrid: l like the look, the cheap maintenance cost and best in class fuel economy while having acceptable performance. But at 1750lbs, the towing capacity is still limited. There is the trail version with 3500 but the engine is not powerful enough.

CX-5 turbo: sporty and fun to drive SUV but not utility at all. It doesn't even come with roof rails. Not to mention its basic AWD and small ground clearance. It's more like a car. But has the best quality interior of its class.

I quickly looked at the V6 Cherokee and Escape but never been a fan of US manufacturers because of reliability.

At the end, the Outback XT was the only car that met all my criteria:

• Performance
  • Same or better fuel economy than my Forester XT but runs on regular.
  • Good AWD and traction control (I've been always surprised how fun was to drive my Forester during snowstorm compared the other SUV I've had before. Also, its traction control is efficient while being permissive).
  • Good ground clearance
  • Good towing capacity
I really like my Outback and would buy the same car again. It's my second Subaru and the first time I stay with same brand. I just hope they can follow the fast growing PHEV/Hybrid/EV demand so that I can stay with Subaru for my next car (not before 5 to 8 years).

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R ES Limited EyeSight
7 Posts
Kia Sportage, Mazda CX-5, Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav 4, Subaru Forester.

• Sportage: 2.0 engine lack of power. I have always bought Japanese brand cars, so why change now?
  • Mazda CX-5: Poor visibility and less ground clearance and space interior than the Outback.
  • Honda CR-V: Much less for much more money. Honda, as well as Toyota, has always been overpriced down here in my country. The AWD version is way, way pricier than the Outback that has it standard.
  • Toyota RAV 4: Same as CR-V.
Coming from a 2014 Forester the only thing I miss is the higher driving position , but I can live with (without?) that. I bought one of the last 2019 units on the lot. Although I have not had the chance to drive on the highway (due to COVID-19 lockdown I can´t go to other cities without a valid reason) the 2019MY Limited 3.6R is by far much better in terms of engine and spaciousness among other things.

I didn´t wait for the Outback 2020MY due to some tax advantages the 3.6R has in the free trade agreement between Colombia and the US.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
895 Posts
So many people cross shopping the CX-5 and passing because it’s slightly too small. I am in the same boat. My mom has a CX-5 signature. That motor is awesome and it’s an absolute rocket ship, but it’s way too small. If they resurrected the CX-7, i bet it would seriously cut into Outback sales.
Same issue for me. I also wish that Mazda still made the CX-7, as it would have been more directly competitive with the Outback. The CX-9 is too big, in another category..

It's funny - various Mazda vehicles have frequently been on my "short list" for a variety of prior car purchases, of different types of vehicles. But never the winner.... I generally like the looks, and how they drive. But for one reason or another, they always end up in 2nd or 3rd place, so I've never actually owned one....

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
182 Posts
Four of us are taking a 3k+ miles round trip vacation soon. While I know it would be comfortable enough in the OB, cargo space would be a problem. We are renting a Suburban. I'll bet by the time we get back, I'll want one. I have a '93 'burb.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
679 Posts
Same issue for me. I also wish that Mazda still made the CX-7, as it would have been more directly competitive with the Outback. The CX-9 is too big, in another category..

It's funny - various Mazda vehicles have frequently been on my "short list" for a variety of prior car purchases, of different types of vehicles. But never the winner.... I generally like the looks, and how they drive. But for one reason or another, they always end up in 2nd or 3rd place, so I've never actually owned one....
A Miata is coming soon for me. Prices are a little crazy right now, but hopefully they will level out soon.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited with #2 package in Crystal White Pearl
21 Posts
I drove three other vehicles before I finally decided on the Outback. Main factors were the ability to haul lumber (I do a little woodworking), AWD and price. Anything shorter than about 185" in length generally puts an 8' long board a couple of inches from the dash which rules out an awful lot of vehicles. I did't want anything drastically larger than the 2011 Mazda CX-7 I was trading which left a very narrow field of finalists in my price range. The competition was:

VW Tiguan - Just barely large enough for my needs but it would have done the job. My least favorite of the four to drive.​
Nissan Murano - This was the highway cruiser of the group. Relatively quiet and comfortable. Great seats. Smallest cargo capacity even though it was one of the larger vehicles in the group. Generally much more expensive than the others but they aren't selling well and they were offering huge rebates to move them. The only V6 of the group.​
Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0t - This was my second choice. It felt bigger inside than the Outback and had more storage up front, but it also felt like it was much larger to drive even though it's smaller. Quieter on the road but you had to push it harder to get the engine to open up. More features for the money (including a pretty spectacular panoramic sunroof) and a better base warranty. It was really close but my wife had some trouble seeing out of it.​

Out the door price between the Outback Limited 2.5 and Santa Fe would have been very close once I added in the extended warranty to the OB. In the end, the Outback drove more like a car and was more responsive driving around town so it won. If I hadn't been able to make a deal at the Subaru dealer I probably would have gone across the street and bought the Hyundai. I'm pretty sure I would have been happy with any of the four.
Be grateful you passed on the Murano. I bought a brand new one - after deciding to dump my gas guzzling Ram 1500. It was also my first Nissan, always been a Toyota and VW guy. They sell you on all the amenities and ride and then kill you on service. Way over engineered, put too much electronics into the vehicle that are untested or are cheap. I went through 3 radiators, 2 transmissions and 2 wheel sensors in the 5 years and 60k miles of ownership. That summed up to many trips to the dealership, many strandings on the roadside, many tow jobs, many loaners. As soon as my extended warranty was up I traded it in on a Scion xD because it was a simple car that gave me great mileage and in 11 years and 130k miles, always started -never failed me and never cost more than regular maintenance. My grandson now drives it and I bought my first Outback because friends love theirs and I like their mission statement.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Be grateful you passed on the Murano. I bought a brand new one - after deciding to dump my gas guzzling Ram 1500. It was also my first Nissan, always been a Toyota and VW guy. They sell you on all the amenities and ride and then kill you on service. Way over engineered, put too much electronics into the vehicle that are untested or are cheap. I went through 3 radiators, 2 transmissions and 2 wheel sensors in the 5 years and 60k miles of ownership. That summed up to many trips to the dealership, many strandings on the roadside, many tow jobs, many loaners. As soon as my extended warranty was up I traded it in on a Scion xD because it was a simple car that gave me great mileage and in 11 years and 130k miles, always started -never failed me and never cost more than regular maintenance. My grandson now drives it and I bought my first Outback because friends love theirs and I like their mission statement.
The Murano was an odd car. Larger on the outside than everything else I was looking at but smaller on the inside by every measure except shoulder and front headroom. I thought the leather seats were pretty good but found the cloth seats in the lower trims to be the most comfortable of any car I drove. I assumed that V6 would make it feel quicker around town but the base Outback engine felt much more willing in city driving to me. With the Murano and Santa Fe I felt like I had to really put my foot into it before they responded. As for reliability, we have friends who drove a Murano for several years and never had to do much to it. I think it had close to 180k on it when they traded it earlier this year. So I guess you never know.

My favorite car I've owned was a 2004 VW Passat but that thing was ridiculously expensive to fix when something went wrong. My worst car was a 1982 Olds Firenza and it was the first new car I ever bought. Five rear main seals, 5 AC compressors (and fan belt sets), new short block, torque converter, transmission, exhaust manifold, starter solenoid, rear hatch weld and assorted other little issues and that was just what was done within the 12k warranty period. The 5th, and final, AC compressor locked up on me at 1:00 am in Sauget, IL while on my way from work to go see my girlfriend. Sauget is NOT where you want to be stranded with car trouble in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
17 Posts
I previously had a 2015 Outback Limited. I loved the vehicle. I didn't love the lack of speed. The speed issue led me to leave Subaru and go to Audi for a Q5 (2018). The Audi was a great car. It obviously had the speed that the Subaru lacked. It also had the upgraded B&O sound system w/ 26 speakers! Amazing sound! My main complaint w/ Audi was that while the ride was sporty and fast, it lacked comfort, and for a luxury car I expect a higher level of comfort. I also felt like for a luxury brand that Audi just wanted to "nickel and dime" the customer whether that be service, etc. One of the main items that sold me on the Audi was the "virtual cockpit" featuring Google Earth views. However, you only get the cool Google Earth view in the virtual cockpit when you're subscribed to the premium service.
I loved the prior Subaru I had. For the money, you couldn't get more luxury and included safety features. My mother-in-law loved the car so much that she purchased it from me when I wanted to "upgrade" to the Subaru.
This time around, I went back to Subaru. I got the Outback Touring XT. I went w/ the XT model for the turbo, however, I'm finding it's pretty bad on gas. I don't know that I'd still make the same decision on the XT. I would still want the Touring. Comparing the Outback to the Audi Q5 and especially price, it's very difficult to justify the extra price.
I love my Subaru.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Limited with Nav/Moonroof/RAB-Rear CrossTraffic Alert
103 Posts
We currently have a 2018 Outback (our first Subaru), and are considering another one when the 2021 model year comes out. I've done some online vehicle comparisons, and so far the Outback is winning.

What other vehicles did you seriously consider before buying your Outback?

m
2019 Ford Edge; 2019 Mazda CX9. Both vehicles much too large for what I needed and would be practical given my space. The Mazda's interior is G O R G E O U S and the Mazda turbo engine was very responsive. And the fuel economy was a little bit better. But for me that's where the pluses ended. The Outback had way more pluses for me than the other two vehicles--the Outback was a no brainer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We came from 20 years of Hondas with a few Toyotas sprinkled in. Last time we looked at Subaru was in 2012; we chose a CRV over the Outback because of our good Honda experience and the CRV interior and infotainment was better.

This time around we were downsizing from an Odyssey and wanted awd for the snow and off-road. Whereas in the past Subaru was the undisputed king of awd, in recent years Toyota and Honda have made improvements in their systems. Most reviewers and YouTube demonstrations I saw still picked Subaru's as the best, so we focused on Ascent, Forester, and Outback in that order. If cost wasn't a factor, Ascent would have won as we really like it, but for the same $$ we could just get another Odyssey with more space and better mileage, albeit without awd. We liked the seating height better in the Forester, but the Outback felt like a more substantial vehicle and has 7 inches more length in the cargo area behind the back seat, so here we are. RAV4 was eliminated because of too many negative magazine reviews. We really liked the Highlander, but the cost for comparable equipment was ridiculously higher. Funny side note: on vacation my wife tried to get in a Highlander parked next to our then 19 Outback, they did look very similar from the side.

The final decision came when test driving a 16 Outback with around 35K miles and a new 19 CRV: the Outback was smoother, quieter, and just felt better overall. If we liked a 3 year old Subaru better than a new Honda, we felt safe buying our first new Subaru in over 30 years (last Subarus we owned were an 85 and 87).

We're still getting used to the smaller size of the Outback and the feeling of sitting lower to the ground, and we do totally fill up that cargo area. For comparison, here is the list of all the vehicles we looked at before narrowing it down to one of the Subarus, along with cargo length behind the second row measured with my tape measure. There were a few surprises for us, most notably that the cargo length in the Outback is the same as the Passport, which we perceived as a much larger vehicle (the Passport is wider). Word to the wise: if you really care about cargo capacity, measure it for yourself rather than going by the numbers the manufacturers provide. Subaru really did a disservice to themselves when they changed the way they compute/report cargo capacity going from the 19 to the 20 model year because it makes it sound like the 20 Outback's cargo capacity is smaller than it really is.

Depth (in) Vehicle
42.5 Passport
50 Pilot
38 CRV
60 Odyssey

49 Ascent
34.5 Forester
42 Outback
you should try driving a Honda Civic 2002 Ex for 18 years and tell me the Subaru Outback has a smaller trunk LOL Buy a Truck man

·
Registered
9 Posts
Toyota Tacoma - reliability, and I've been driving one the past 13 years. I know it works for what I want to do.

But I'm ready for some better gas mileage and some better practicality.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
972 Posts
you should try driving a Honda Civic 2002 Ex for 18 years and tell me the Subaru Outback has a smaller trunk LOL Buy a Truck man
I actually had an 06 Civic EX, fabulous vehicle, traded it for an 09 Venza for more space. Traded the 09 Venza and 07 Tundra for a 14 Sierra Crew cab with 6.5 foot bed (most crew cabs only have a 5.5 foot bed), which I still have. So yes I agree, get a truck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We currently have a 2018 Outback (our first Subaru), and are considering another one when the 2021 model year comes out. I've done some online vehicle comparisons, and so far the Outback is winning.

What other vehicles did you seriously consider before buying your Outback?

m

·
Registered
20 Onyx XT, 14 Premium
44 Posts
I swore off dodges after my ram but I was really considering a charger 392 scat pack. But I have a job where I have to show up in inclement weather so I opted for the practical choice. I really wouldn’t mind a wide body challenger either.
I almost went for the V6 AWD Charger (love the Challenger but can't swing a coupe with an expanding family). My wife has a Gen4 OB which I was always "meh" on but I was out of the loop and didn't discover the release of the XT until late in my search. The OBXT has better performance, functionality, safety, and headroom than the AWD Charger. The Onyx package is what clinched it. I drooled over whatever the blacked out 4Runner package is called, but that just didn't make sense for a few reasons.

Maybe the OBXT is what happens when a Charger and 4Runner love each other very much.

·
Banned
20 Outback Limited XT
41 Posts
I almost bought a Toyota Rav4 but a few of my buddies have Outbacks and love them so decided to check them out and the more I looked the more I liked. Also looked at Honda CRV's which are great vehicles but I'm a guy and not a soccer mom so lost interest in them quick and had some interest in Jeep Cherokees.

Lovin my OB Limited XT !!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited Ice Silver
9 Posts
With a child on the way - started car shopping in January/February. I sold my 2004 Jeep Rubicon- because it basically became a “motorcycle” for me. Wife couldn’t get into it any longer and I didn’t feel comfortable carrying a newborn around in it. I bought the Jeep new and had no trouble selling it. I cross shopped Mazda Cx-5, Jeep Cherokee (Trailhawk and Limited Editions), Passport, Audi, and Kia Sportage. Ultimately decided on the Outback for a few reasons: Wife really didnt care for SUV stance. She is 5’1 and prefers cars over SUV’s and trucks and the Outback would be her daily driver. The Outback checked all the safety boxes. AWD of course. Pricing was competitive. We rented a Cherokee in Boston for our honeymoon and drove to Vermont. We enjoyed the Cherokee but it felt a little cramped for our likes. Build quality seemed ok. In the end - wife just preferred the car like approach of the Outback, the ride, the capacity. And to be honest - I love wagons and always have. I peruse local classifies for car ads for older Audi, VW, Mercedes, Subaru, and BMW agons all the time. My goal is to have a “local” commuter thats a wagon.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts