Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
65 Posts
RAV4 Hybrid (or the impossible to order PHEV Rav4). Having had hybrids and PHEVs in the past, I ”really” like the electric motor punch and incredible mpg. But no viable AWD hybrid until the RAV4.

Although the RAV4 was pretty nice, several things caused me to switch back to the Outback:
1. The RAV4, although better than past models, was slightly noisier than the Outback.
2. Nobody would deal much on the RAV4 hybrid
3. My wife thought the RAV4 seats hurt her back more(broken sacrum).
4. Couldn’t get heated seats without getting a bunch of options we didn’t want = much more money (When combined With #2)
5. “Usable” cargo space just seemed more in the Subaru Outback. Who packs stuff to the ceiling to maximize the stated cargo space? That’s what the shorter vehicles seem to require you to do.
6. Outback has better ground clearance AND AWD(IMHO).

·
Registered
20 Onyx XT, 14 Premium
44 Posts
RAV4 Hybrid (or the impossible to order PHEV Rav4. Having had hybrids and PHEVs in the past, I ”really” like the electric motor punch and incredible mpg. But no viable AWD hybrid until the RAV4.
Did you consider an AWD Prius, or did you know you needed that cargo space (#5)? I came from a Prius and honestly loved it, so the new AWD Prius seemed like a natural step (getting AWD was mandatory for me this time around). But I'll be honest that I tired of the ridiculous social stigma, and everyone's need to crack a joke about it constantly. I'd always safeguard my masculinity with responses like "yeah it actually gets similar gas mileage as my motorcycle" but it still bothered me. I'm a bit too introverted and sensitive, obviously!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
65 Posts
Did you consider an AWD Prius, or did you know you needed that cargo space (#5)? I came from a Prius and honestly loved it, so the new AWD Prius seemed like a natural step (getting AWD was mandatory for me this time around). But I'll be honest that I tired of the ridiculous social stigma, and everyone's need to crack a joke about it constantly. I'd always safeguard my masculinity with responses like "yeah it actually gets similar gas mileage as my motorcycle" but it still bothered me. I'm a bit too introverted and sensitive, obviously!
I actually did look at the Prius, but try and go off-road with it or drive through 1 ft of Sierra Cement(snow). It doesn’t have the space I need, either. We thought about replacing the Chevy Volt (Lifetime mpg 132 mpg) with it as a second car, but it wouldn’t buy me much over the Volt with snow tires.

I’m an old guy, too old to worry about what anyone else thinks. We all have different needs and wants, so do what works for you.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,939 Posts
I actually did look at the Prius, but try and go off-road with it or drive through 1 ft of Sierra Cement(snow).
Th Prius has its virtues - my wife has a FWD 2011 model - but foul weather performance isn't one of them, whether it's a FWD or AWD model. The reasons are (1) low ground clearance and (2) inadequate power to the rear wheels (it's a standalone electric motor in the back, not at all connected with the FWD hybrid synergy system).

Seems like Toyote just stuck the electric motor back there as a sales gimmick for buyers who want to check off the "AWD" box on their list of features, and don't care that it probably can't help them much in any kind of weather-compromised roadway situation.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring
143 Posts
My main criteria was a minimum 3500 lb towing capacity and fuel economy. it came down to the Toyota Rav4 TRD and the Subaru Outback. I ended up ordering the Outback Limited Xt.
curious, what are you towing with that 3500lbs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
curious, what are you towing with that 3500lbs?
I tow a 3500 lb single axle trailer loaded with 1 to 11/2 yards top soil, 1 yard of 1/4" down limestone and have a boat that has a dry weight of 2200 lb not including trailer. I tow this weight a few times a year and distance travelled is approximately 100 miles.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
65 Posts
Th Prius has its virtues - my wife has a FWD 2011 model - but foul weather performance isn't one of them, whether it's a FWD or AWD model. The reasons are (1) low ground clearance and (2) inadequate power to the rear wheels (it's a standalone electric motor in the back, not at all connected with the FWD hybrid synergy system).

Seems like Toyote just stuck the electric motor back there as a sales gimmick for buyers who want to check off the "AWD" box on their list of features, and don't care that it probably can't help them much in any kind of weather-compromised roadway situation.
California snow country often has “chains or 4wd only” requirements, even with an inch or less of snow on the ground. The AWD symbol saves you from having to get out and put chains on. So there is that.

·
Registered
'20 Outback Premium 15, '17 Golf Wolf
11 Posts
My requirements were as follows: Led headlights, dual climate control, heated cloth seats, modern safety tech (auto emergency stop etc). I Never considered a Subaru, head gaskets and CVTs. But after accepting the CRV, Rav4 had CVTs I considered it. Prior car was a 2000 Audi A6 Avant (wagon) I had for 10 years and loved it. Got rid of it when my mom gave me her 2005 Vibe with low miles while I went back to school. Always wanted a wagon again.

1st choice: CX-5 - cargo area too small
2nd: CR-V Hybrid - Boring to drive but ended up being my second choice if I didn't get the OB
3rd: Rav-4 Hybrid - hated the interior and cost too much for what I wanted
4th: Tiguan - LOVED but seemed too big to me, though it isn't
5th: Buick Regal Wagon: Not a single one in my area to drive. Still likely the car I would have bought if one was available.
6th: Chevy Bolt: Needed to update the garage for charging
7th: Golf Alltrack: already own a '17 Golf, love it but didn't need another Golf.

Drove the outback to shut my partner up and to prove why it was a POS with bad headgaskets and a terrible CVT. Ended up falling in love. I was sold on 2 features, the roof rack system and how smooth it was compared to the others.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
My requirements were as follows: Led headlights, dual climate control, heated cloth seats, modern safety tech (auto emergency stop etc).
As an essential health care worker there's nothing better to keep you safe and get you to wherever you need to be in all weather and most terrains. A terrific choice!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
124 Posts
I was looking at the Toyota Highlander for the added room, didn't need the 3 row seating. Wife wanted another Outback, so we got the Outback. I do love it, but a little more room would have been nice.

·
Registered
2020 Outback -Onyx XT -Magnetite grey
26 Posts
When I was initially looking, it was a mix of style and function. My main things were NAV(new to the PNW) stowage, and tow. I like to be able to carry things. My main Choices I was looking at were the Jeep Cherokee, Subaru outback and Forester, and the Toyota Tacoma. It finally came down to crash test ratings, and Subaru placed the best. At the dealership I didn't like how cramped the Forester felt compared to the Outback. Felt like I was going to tap my head on the headliner. Went with the Outback and don't regret that decision.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
32 Posts
Jeep Gladiator. Then the rational side took over and I bought the outback. I would have been satisfied with the Gladiator for a month but when the honeymoon was over, I'd be tired of the crappy ride, crappy mileage, and extreme depreciation.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring
162 Posts
My first Outback was a 2015 limited, but I did look at Rav4, too small, and the Honda, which I did not find appealing. I did a trade in for 20202 Touring. Never had any issues with and of the Outbacks...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ford Bronco... So i drove a ranger.... i did not like the ride or fule milage ... i have a 2014 2.5 limited ride is nice but drives too slow going up hil. Pulling on interstes from a full stop is really fun with it. So test drove a 2020 2.4 that was used then ordered a 2021 xt touring.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My number 1 choice was the Ascent. there is no height adjustment on the passenger seat and I could not get comfortable, we split the driving. That’s crazy that they have this in the outback and forester but not in their most expensive model. I waited a year to see if it would be added. I prefer the higher seating position.

Other considerations all had to have at very least height adjustable passenger seats ...Audi, Volvo ... I really loved a preowned Q7 but we knew there was a pretty good chance we would have to sell it as soon as the warranty was up and normally we keep our cars for 10 yrs plus so ...who wants a car payment for ever? Subaru was still the smartest choice after test driving everything and since the ascent was a no go we drove the outback and, contrary to some of the reviews ...we did find it fun to drive and I think the 2020 remodel is really gorgeous. Fingers crossed that ours will be here sometime next week.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
895 Posts
My requirements were as follows: Led headlights, dual climate control, heated cloth seats, modern safety tech (auto emergency stop etc). I Never considered a Subaru, head gaskets and CVTs. But after accepting the CRV, Rav4 had CVTs I considered it. Prior car was a 2000 Audi A6 Avant (wagon) I had for 10 years and loved it. Got rid of it when my mom gave me her 2005 Vibe with low miles while I went back to school. Always wanted a wagon again.

1st choice: CX-5 - cargo area too small
2nd: CR-V Hybrid - Boring to drive but ended up being my second choice if I didn't get the OB
3rd: Rav-4 Hybrid - hated the interior and cost too much for what I wanted
4th: Tiguan - LOVED but seemed too big to me, though it isn't
5th: Buick Regal Wagon: Not a single one in my area to drive. Still likely the car I would have bought if one was available.
6th: Chevy Bolt: Needed to update the garage for charging
7th: Golf Alltrack: already own a '17 Golf, love it but didn't need another Golf.

Drove the outback to shut my partner up and to prove why it was a POS with bad headgaskets and a terrible CVT. Ended up falling in love. I was sold on 2 features, the roof rack system and how smooth it was compared to the others.
The CRV has better steering IMO. To be specific better weighted feels more planted at higher speeds

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT, 2013 WRX Hatchback
18 Posts
I really REALLY wanted an Audi SQ5. Coming from a 2013 WRX hatchback, I wanted utility, sportiness, and comfort with modern features like adaptive cruise control. Once I realized how much a German car depreciates, I couldn't stomach the insane depreciation at the cost of opportunities for my wife and child. I tend to keep my cars for the long haul, and without stupid money, the Audi just didn't make sense. I test drove an OBXT Touring and really liked the sleeper aspect. I was most surprised by the insane utility: fold the seats down and its a **** cavern back there! And it includes alot of luxury features (heated steering wheel, ventilated seats) for a reasonable price, plus a dash of performance.

I placed an order for a 2021 OBXT Touring due in October. I'll struggle a bit with the uncool old man factor for a bit, but I'm sure it'll wear off within a week or two. And I'm keeping the WRX as a fun weekend project car so I can still pretend like I'm cool when needed. With the money saved over an SQ5, I'll have some cash leftover to dress up the OBXT a bit to my liking and add some flair.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I really REALLY wanted an Audi SQ5. Coming from a 2013 WRX hatchback, I wanted utility, sportiness, and comfort with modern features like adaptive cruise control. Once I realized how much a German car depreciates, I couldn't stomach the insane depreciation at the cost of opportunities for my wife and child. I tend to keep my cars for the long haul, and without stupid money, the Audi just didn't make sense. I test drove an OBXT Touring and really liked the sleeper aspect. I was most surprised by the insane utility: fold the seats down and its a **** cavern back there! And it includes alot of luxury features (heated steering wheel, ventilated seats) for a reasonable price, plus a dash of performance.

I placed an order for a 2021 OBXT Touring due in October. I'll struggle a bit with the uncool old man factor for a bit, but I'm sure it'll wear off within a week or two. And I'm keeping the WRX as a fun weekend project car so I can still pretend like I'm cool when needed. With the money saved over an SQ5, I'll have some cash leftover to dress up the OBXT a bit to my liking and add some flair.
i went through the exact same process and conclusion with an Audi Q7. It was a 2019 and had 3 yrs warranty on it but we also drive our cars for the long haul ... but boy did I love that Audi. Small repairs can cost an amazing amount and we realized it could potentially impact our financial choices ...which tells me it’s the wrong vehicle but ..,meanwhile we have a limited xt coming

61 - 80 of 81 Posts